• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what to put them in? lubed bullets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooncrazy

32 Cal
Reaction score
ok, maxi balls are cast, lubed so what do I put them in so they don't get the lube rubbed off? would like something like the Thompson center boxes, but I can't find them anywhere! ideas?

I saw a guy at the range once do that. he had a stick that had the lubed conicals and a cover that he made to slide as he pulled one off at a time. He slid the top and dropped them one at a time onto a small plank of wood then picked up and dropped into the muzzle. He did not seem to mess up the lube any in the process. The first time I took pre lubed maxie balls to the range, I made a mess of things with pulling them out of the container. Then it happened, I dropped the box and it flew everywhere.

I assume we are not talking about thousands. I have plastic vials that I put them in for hunting. Does mtm make a bullet case that will fit your cal? I use them for my 45 cal conicals.

Fleener

I carry mine in tubes in this case for hunting along with extra charges n caps

Attachments

• 283D3C84-6315-4A7E-8DE6-842F30F31F69.jpeg
    283D3C84-6315-4A7E-8DE6-842F30F31F69.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 68
ok, maxi balls are cast, lubed so what do I put them in so they don't get the lube rubbed off? would like something like the Thompson center boxes, but I can't find them anywhere! ideas?
When I played with Maxiballs and other conicals that required lube I found a few things that helped.

One was to use the caliber specific speed loaders that TC and I believe Bulter Creek used to sell. Bullet was held tightly in one end with powder covered by a plastic cap in the other. Had to keep nose of bullet clean from lube or powder stuck to it.
upload_2019-2-2_13-55-47.jpeg

TC also had a caliber specific deal that screwed onto the tube of Borebutter or Wonderlube. Maxi was pushed through the thing and you would apply lube by squeezing the tube, then you pushed the bullet the rest of the way through the device and into your barrel. Quite the PIA and the lube temperature had to be just right.
upload_2019-2-2_13-56-53.jpeg

A third option I tried was to wrap the lubed Maxiball in a small piece of wax paper and place them in plastic tubes. Little or no mess once you figured out how to get the bullet out of the wax paper and into your barrel.

The only conicals l shoot today are paper patched, but that is a different topic.

Back