• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What to do with upholstery leather?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

putodebabylon

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have some leather I harvested from a chair. It's light brown and around 3 ounces, maybe a hare thinner. I'd like to make a possibles bag out of this stuff but as thin as it is I envision the finished bag being kind of saggy and looking like a woman's purse. :shocked2:

Could this thickness of leather be suitable for a possibles bag? Is there a way to stiffen it? I have heard of soaking in hot water. I tried soaking a piece in hot water for a few minutes and it didn't make a difference.

If a possibles bag won't work, any other projects this would be well suited for?

Thanks all! :hatsoff:

I did the same thing from a huge leather couch my employer tossed. I got several yards of fine corinthian leather and have made a number of projects from it.

Hats, pouches-for coins, beads, charms, extra round balls, whatever and one bag. Leather strips, laces, straps. Use it till it's gone.

On the bag, I stiffened it by adding a glued in liner of ticking that is .25 thick.

My leather was pre-aged by rough and tumble teen age boys who broke the inner couch frame.

it sounds like yours may be on the thin side for a bag but you might try the liner idea on a small piece to see if it will work before you cut up the large sections.

good luck.

Steve

I'll second Steve's recommendation for glued-in linings for bags. I've done it with upholstery leather and lightweight chap leather. Ticking works, and I got some nice red cotton fabric just like ticking. I've also used pig leather. I just cut out the pieces, glue the backing to them a little oversize, and sew normally. Does a nice job of stiffening and the results are tough as nails.

BrownBear's right. I've made probably 50 possibles bags from upholstery 3 oz leather.I cut the parts out and use Duro spray adhesive to fasten the lining and leather together, mainly to make it easier to stitch up, but yes, put a fabric liner in it, ticking, broadcloth, calico,any old time fabric will do.And linen thread is the only way to go! Stay away from that artificial sinew nylon junk!

I have made a few rifle covers with several yards of gray upholstery leather that I got cheap at a swap meet.I just folded it over the gun color side in and sowed down the one side,also so up the small end and cut the other end a few inches longer than the rifle and thats it.I added a 3 inch strip of the same leather between the seem even with the outside seem then turned it inside out and cut the three inch piece into fringe. Then you can twist the fringe to add a fuller looking fringe.You may want to add a blanket liner to make the leather kool thicker than upholstery leather,Mine is thick enough the way it is.

This kind of leather is very strong and holds a good seam,it's good for small bags or maybe a flint wallet or even a frizzen cover.

I've found the seams are lots stronger if you go ahead and use a welt. Never any problem with the leather stretching along the seams when I do. And yeah, linen thread is best by far.

Back