• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Size Tent

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodymartin

32 Cal.
Reaction score
My wife wants a wall tent. What size does 2 people need? She also wants me to put together a bed. I am thinking a 10X12 with rain fly would be good.

I agree, my wife and I use a 12 x 14 and find it plenty adequate. Our previous 9 x 12 was much too small. You may want to consider 5' walls and 9' height as this allows plenty of room to walk around and the 9' ceiling seems to be much cooler than our old 8' one.

My wife and I are just breaking in to this slowly but its time to get a tent. My problem is not just size it is also period correctnes,I love the fur trade, so finding something to fit that era, and be big enough to make my wife happy.I was told bakers are not correct and wall tents came later. Is this true ? And are wedge tents the only tents period -correct.

Wall tents go WAY back before the fur trade era.Some juried events might get after you if the tent has brass grommets instead of cloth ties but the style has been around for a very long time.Lots of folks do fine with the wedge tents tho and if you get a bell back wedge you gain some extra space.The wife,daughter and I use a 10x12 wall tent with a 10x12 awning for our camp.

StreamsideJeff,

My family and I have a 12x14 wall tent with 5' sides. A tent this size is PLENTY big enough for my wife and I and in a pinch I can stuff the two daughters into the tent as well, though you have to watch where you put your feet down if you have to get up in the night. Two cots with a small table between them and the camp boxes at the foot of the cots. Wool indian rugs along the floor make the tent much more comfortable. If you have others that are camping with you it's nice to have a tent that has perhaps more space than you really need, rather than being stuck in in one that is too cramped. If its just you and you want to camp with just the minimum of tent space and camp gear, a small wedge or diamond fly will work. Keep in mind unless its really cold, most people spend most of their time under the rain fly, so don't skimp on the size of the fly that's going to be your most used space.

smokeydays

My wife and I picked up a used 12x14x4 wall tent a few years ago which seems to be fine for the 2 of us size wise. Big enough for a queen sized bed and everything else that one might want inside. Even had a stove jack connection iffen one were so inclined to use such a thing.

The only annoying things were no frost liner and no floor but given the price, can't complain. Just have to add them to the list of "to dos".

Keep yer powder dry,

D.

We have a 12x14x4 wall tent and it sleeps the wife and I, our daughter and the dog(125 lb Akita)quite well for a 3 or 4 day trip. I have a bed(6 1/2' x 4') the dog bed and my daughter's cot at one end and several small chests and a small table along the remainder of the walls. An awning with one removble sidewall adds a huge amount of space and that is where we spend most of our time anyway. If you do serious cold weather camping you might want something different but we are three season campers and don't use a stove in the tent.

We have a 12x14x4 wall tent and it sleeps the wife and I, our daughter and the dog(125 lb Akita)quite well for a 3 or 4 day trip. I have a bed(6 1/2' x 4') the dog bed and my daughter's cot at one end and several small chests and a small table along the remainder of the walls. An awning with one removble sidewall adds a huge amount of space and that is where we spend most of our time anyway. If you do serious cold weather camping you might want something different but we are three season campers and don't use a stove in the tent.

Sounds like a fair size amount of equipment & furnishings...when going on these events, I assume folks have to tow trailers for enough gear for a long stay...is parking normally at or close to the camp sites...or do you drive up, unload, then have to get the vehicles away from the area so they don't detract from the setting or something?
::

Mr. Roundball,
The few we have attended, you are allowed to drive up and unload but you have to remove your vehicle to the designated parking area after doing so.
Best Wishes

Sounds like a fair size amount of equipment & furnishings...when going on these events, I assume folks have to tow trailers for enough gear for a long stay...is parking normally at or close to the camp sites...or do you drive up, unload, then have to get the vehicles away from the area so they don't detract from the setting or something?
::

Even with 2 of my kids, the wife and I are able to get everything into a Toyota pickemup for a 1.5 week 'vous. Then I try to keep it minimal.

As others have indicated, park, unload and retire the vehicle to the designated area away from camp is pretty typical. One 'vous in CA I attended in days gone by required enlisting "for a fee" HC cartage assistance to get gear to the site. The alternative was either have ones own horse(s) or packing it in about 1/2 mi. I wasn't annoyed with this cuz the cartage provided was for a good cause (local Boy Scout troop). Sometimes it pays to check with the Boshway for details beforehand.

Keep yer powder dry,

D.

Latest posts

Back