• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Heat from candle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
During the winter I always have in my truck a wool army blanket, and a larger pork & beans can with candles, matches, lighter and a couple energy bars. I also usually have a can of canned heat. Additionally if I'm heading to the mtns. I also have a tote in the bed with another blanket a propane lantern with extra cans of propane, a 6x8' tarp and fire starter sticks and small hatchet.

Dinty Moore Beef Stew. Really good eating.

Winter in England, December of 1952. Dad was a Naval officer stationed in London, our year's lease on our first place was up, and we moved to new digs. And neither the gas nor the electricity had been turned on yet.
We got a bit more than 3' of snow that night.
Dad was gone to Belgium or some such place - he was dealing with logistics for NATO, and was gone a lot.
We did have some candles, and had brought such food as we had in the cupboard, including a few cans of tomato soup. I was 7 at the time - dang that's a long time ago!
Mom, a child of the depression, opened a few cans of that soup, and holding the pot over three candles, soon served us hot bowls of soup. Then she wrapped up we kids in many blankets, and bade us good night.
In the morning, she repeated using the three candles to make bacon and scrambled eggs, and about 10 a.m. the power AND gas were turned on - Hallelujah!
That darn snow was over my head in many places.
Great Britain was still under rationing at that time, but there was an Army or Air Force base where we could get food without the ration cards. Still had to use them for local purchases, including petrol.
And my math education benefited from learning to do math functions in bases 10, 12, and 20! Thankfully, the UK has gone decimal now!

Back in the states, 1958 - 62, we lived in northern Virginia, and I had a Marine Colonel for a Scout Master - and he had us camping every month of the year - January was always the Shenandoah Mountains, and learning winter survival. I emulated my Mom, and always packed a few candles, and the aforementioned beef stew - delicious, nutritious, and very filling!

I was just on the Kirkman site this afternoon. I have two Deitz lanterns and was researching how much heat they produce. I recently had some one ask if I knew where they could get one of those old cannonball lights that highway departments once used with kerosene/drain oil to put lights out to warn of ditches etc. They were round like cannonballs about 8 inches and had a little round cap sticking up with a fuse. They would burn all night at road construction sites. Haven't seen them in use since around 1960. They were used in fruit groves when frost was forecast.View attachment 166118
Those bring back some memories. When I was a kid those things would be on every road project in town.

Dinty Moore Beef Stew. Really good eating.

Winter in England, December of 1952. Dad was a Naval officer stationed in London, our year's lease on our first place was up, and we moved to new digs. And neither the gas nor the electricity had been turned on yet.
We got a bit more than 3' of snow that night.
Dad was gone to Belgium or some such place - he was dealing with logistics for NATO, and was gone a lot.
We did have some candles, and had brought such food as we had in the cupboard, including a few cans of tomato soup. I was 7 at the time - dang that's a long time ago!
Mom, a child of the depression, opened a few cans of that soup, and holding the pot over three candles, soon served us hot bowls of soup. Then she wrapped up we kids in many blankets, and bade us good night.
In the morning, she repeated using the three candles to make bacon and scrambled eggs, and about 10 a.m. the power AND gas were turned on - Hallelujah!
That darn snow was over my head in many places.
Great Britain was still under rationing at that time, but there was an Army or Air Force base where we could get food without the ration cards. Still had to use them for local purchases, including petrol.
And my math education benefited from learning to do math functions in bases 10, 12, and 20! Thankfully, the UK has gone decimal now!

Back in the states, 1958 - 62, we lived in northern Virginia, and I had a Marine Colonel for a Scout Master - and he had us camping every month of the year - January was always the Shenandoah Mountains, and learning winter survival. I emulated my Mom, and always packed a few candles, and the aforementioned beef stew - delicious, nutritious, and very filling!
My Scoutmaster was hard times depression born and a Navy Vet, thus a sink or swim kind of guy 😅 and the weather be damned. "Be prepared" is good advise that will stand you well thru life.

OK guys this is just FYI:
Screenshot_20230429-170708_Samsung Internet.jpg

My Scoutmaster was hard times depression born and a Navy Vet, thus a sink or swim kind of guy 😅 and the weather be damned. "Be prepared" is good advise that will stand you well thru life.

In 1956, at age 5 we moved to an old farmstead on top a mountain in Eastern PA. The electric was out for 8 days after one hellacious snow storm. We cooked in the fireplace, moved beds to the living room. My parents kept a kerosene heater burning in the upstairs bathroom to keep the pipes from freezing. After about 5 days, Dad and two neighbors hooked Dad's old flat bottom row boat to the back of an old steel wheeled tractor and drove down the mountain to town, got supplies and then back up. The giant cleats on the old tractor wheels got it through the heavy snow and drifts but it took them almost 9 hours to go the 7 miles to town and back. I remember that they had to drive the tractor backwards to make it up the last steep part. From that first year in the country, my parents always made sure they had enough food, kerosene and other supplies to get through a month, because they could never count on when they could get to town next. We were better off than the neighbor family, they didn't even have a fireplace. That was back before transistor radios, so back then when the power was out, folks would sit in the car to listen to the radio for news and emergency alerts.

Back