• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what side does the washer go on with a frizzen?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 6 flintlocks and have never seen a washer used on any part of a lock , It is obviously being used as a spacer , have a look and see if you can see any wear or witness marks on the sides . Probably goes on the lock plate side , as long as it stops the frizzen from flopping about I'd guess it would not matter

I have 6 flintlocks and have never seen a washer used on any part of a lock , It is obviously being used as a spacer , have a look and see if you can see any wear or witness marks on the sides . Probably goes on the lock plate side , as long as it stops the frizzen from flopping about I'd guess it would not matter
Thanks, i found some faint lines around the frizzen, right side :)

Last edited:
idk what a wave washer is but yes, it is traditions.
It looks like a washer that got mangled. They are meant to take up slack and provide some tension. I don't know why Traditions uses them, they are counterproductive in the frizzen pivot. Oh, and I had no idea what one was until I founf one in MY flintlock. 😉 wavy_washer.jpg

That washer might have been placed there to take up side play or to space the frizzen away from the barrel. In either case if the frizzen does not contact the barrel without the washer then leave it out unless the frizzen flops around too much.

That washer might have been placed there to take up side play or to space the frizzen away from the barrel. In either case if the frizzen does not contact the barrel without the washer then leave it out unless the frizzen flops around too much.
I just used a plain washer to take up the slack.

Back