• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what patch lube are you using ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turtle Dave

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm trying out some patch lubes. I'm curious what recommendations any one has for lubes. I am interested in trying olive oil. I remember, I think, somene using it. Do you put it on just before loading the rifle, or earlier and letting it dry?

Thanks for the help. As you can tell, I'm new to flintlocks. So far, I'm hooked on them.

I've played with a whole bunch of them, including making a bunch of my own.

I've finally settled on the mink tallow from Track of the Wolf. Very effective, and good texture over all the temps I hunt in.

Spit

Also another vote on pure mink tallow, not the fake stuff.

Also, lube isn't just confined to flinters, it's front stuffer wide.

The thing with this hobby is you have to SHOOT to find results. Just because it works for person A doesn't mean it's going to work for person B. The fun in it is finding what works for you and your rifle. Let it speak by the results. Not the other way around.

Also, don't over complicate the hobby. The traditional aspect of it is just that, the tradition that was with black powder shooting and still is by those of us who keep it alive. No modern high tech lubes or concoctions here, just... traditional. :thumbsup:

spit

It works good, doesn't leave
any residue to clog the bore.

It's free.

You never run out.

Spit, Stumpys moose snot,murphys oil soap and water mix. or just plain water. I use these at the range, when im going hunting and the gun will be loaded for a while i use moose snot or teflon ticking. The moose snot is my favorite.

I too am a veteran of much experimentation. The only thing I use these days is Liquid Wrench Penetrating Oil. Wet a stack of patches with the oil. Put the stack in a paper towel and squeeze the bundle until any of the excess oil is taken up. The patches will feel almost dry and will be pleasant to handle. They will also shoot as well as any other lube you can fine and much better than most. And no - you will not get some kind of "petroleum crud".

If it is liquid, someone somewhere swears by it as a patch lube.

(And some stuff that isn't exactly liquid).

I've been using my own blend of olive oil and deer tallow in cold weather, and olive oil, deer tallow, and bees wax in warm weather. I bought some TOW mink oil, but haven't shot with it yet.

Over the years I tried just about everything from sperm whale oil. (both the real stuff and Dixie's synthetic) to cod liver oil. And have determined that any non petroleum oil will work. I prefer 80% lard 20 % beeswax . The problem most people have with lubes is they use too much! :idunno:

I make my own.....Spending money on lube is a ridiculous waste IMO....
First choice is spit..
Second choice is a mix of beeswax and olive oil.

BEWARE! of those that might try to sell you miracle lubes or snake oils...
There are dozens of lube recipes out there if you want to make your own.
You can start here: http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/203261/

Knowledge is power.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using Stumpy's Moose Snot. I like it because it doesn't get all hard in the winter, and doesn't soften into a sloppy goo in the humid Kansas summers.

I wouldn't mind using olive oil. But I prefer it on my salad, or just for dipping bread. On popcorn it's truly wonderful.

I recently went through the patch/lube thing.

I found patch thickness seemed more important then the type of lube.
I settled on straight olive oil.
I put a piece of sponge in an old cap tin, then dab the end of the patch cloth just before loading. I'm also doing cut at the muzzle patches.

Back