• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found a good alternative use for the copper sheeting I bought to eventually make caps with… a strip of it makes a dandy top cap for the roof of a bird feeder.

View attachment 318777
That's an excellent alternative 👏 However, I see that it is used by crafters and I have a young granddaughter who loves crafting so I'm going to pass it along to her.

Finished this Scots influenced neck knife today. Sometimes I don't know what a knife is going to be until I start hammering. This has a poured pewter hilt also

Attachments

• 20240510_134838.jpg
    20240510_134838.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
well, I guess my build will take an extra week or so to get done.
decided to turn a new handle for a chisel, using my drill press. long story short, it came out at 10k rpm while i was rasp reducing it and got my left wrist. been a decade i think since i broke a bone.
could have gone another 10 years just fine.
getting to old I guess. and dumb.

Finished zeroing the SMR at 100 yds. Kind of an interesting day. The range I used is unmonitored. A couple shooters there apparently didn't recognize the common courtesy and convention of clearing with all other shooters before going down range. They just went. So got interrupted several times. And consequently by lack of my own focus and subsequent distraction ended up dry-balling not once, but twice. Fortunately, use of my ball-puller was successful. The only problem being that by pulling the ball the puller tip is screwed so tight into the end of the range rod that it's really difficult to remove. Might have to add a vise or clamp and a vise-grip pliers to my black powder range kit? Anyway, discovered that in order to compensate for shooting too low on previous shoot I had filed down the front sight blade a bit too much and was now shooting too high. So, I had to use the file on the rear sight. Eventually got it where it's at least in the ballpark with acceptable grouping. Loading 60 gr. 3F Swiss, .454 ball and 0.010 patch lubed with spit.

@wiscoaster, you are singing the lament of those who adjust their sights before load development is complete. Following the best practices procedure of load development, leave the files in the tool box. Windage can be worked on from the first shot, but group size and any removal of metal on the sights needs to wait until the group is acceptable by powder charge, ball size, patch thickness. It's good that you were able to restore acceptable groups at your ranges.

@wiscoaster, you are singing the lament of those who adjust their sights before load development is complete. ...
No, I know it sounds that way, but load development was already complete. (Load documented above). I just needed to get it to group where I needed it to group. May I mention that it does NOT have the original kit-provided sights on it?

As many of us have learned (me included), it is easy to get too aggressive when adjusting the sights. We want the hits on target to go from point of aim to point of impact as quickly as possible. Then we find out that we have removed too much material. Often, we don't get the sharp edges on the lands smoothed enough before we start working on the sights with a file. @wiscoaster has made the final adjustments on both sights to get the fine tuning for acceptable accuracy done. I'm going to have to reread what I have written or at least make the note for my shooting box to make half the adjustments I think I may need and try. Don't take off more than you may need to put back.

I have a chunk gun match to prepare for and I need to really practice getting that tight group consistent on my sighter target.

Wonderful morning at the local range. I tested the .54 Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken at 50 metres with open sights (removed the peep); I used 80gns of FFG Wano, an over-powder scoop of semolina, a .018 square cut spit patch and a .530 home cast soft lead roundball, all set forward with an RWS percussion cap. Nice results to be sure! Now to clean the gun and tap the rear sight over to the left a smidgeon, for the next session.

Oh, and no offhand heroics here, the heavy rifle well nestled into bags front and rear. There're twelve shots in the group.

Cheers, Pete

PRMHT.JPG
PRMH.jpg

I just finished cleaning slim after a good day at the range ,tried some different combos today but to no avail slim still like 50 grains of 2 f 50 grains of cornmeal 70 grains of shot in a paper shot cup and a card on top.It likes #7 1/2 shot but I think for grouse and wabbits I’m gonna try and see which patterns best in it #6 or #5s next time out .
So what distance are you shooting? 10 yards, 20 yards, 50 yards?

Latest posts

Back