• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CFDE0403-DC6B-4C43-AF7F-843309528929.jpeg

Visited the local gunshow today and looked at a factory built 45 TC Hawken Flinter. Guy wanted $550 and looked to be shot little at all. Planning on going back tomorrow with my Jew Face on. The frizzen looked to be a little scratched, if that is a problem maybe some of you experts can chime in. THANKS

Sorta good news for a friend today. Been trying to clean the rust out of his neglected Spanish made longrifle barrel. Started soaking , and polishing , and soaking and polishing the bore w/ 00 steel wool on a bronze bore brush using Clenzoil penetrating oil spray. By golly , the bore now looks grey , instead of brown. Think I'm gonna win this one. I'll oil , soak , and wool his bore for another time or two , then to the range. This was too rich not to share........When he originally handed me the rifle , he asked if you had to clean muzzleloaders after use?? Said yea , holding back the laughter. Guy has a master's degree in electromechanical engineering , but flunked the m/l portion of classes. I'll try to help him.

Shot the Colt 3rd gen "Signature Series" 1860 New Army to try out some paper cartridge fabrication ideas, this time loading cartridge with about five grains of cerial filler over powder, and no lube on ball. I don't honestly think the filler made any difference wrt to bore fouling. After twelve rounds it was still functioning, but the bore was just as filthly as usual. So at that point I called it a day, and took it home for a thorough cleaning. Also did some non-ML shooting, not reportable here.

Attended the Tennessee Longhunters April shoot today.

Hosted bye the Forums own Terrier on his farm here in the Tennessee hills.

Thanks for the invite from another Forum member,Flint..👍
I’m glad I was able too locate y’all this time…🤣
I hope I wasn’t much trouble and I appreciate the hospitality & Friendship from all that was there..👍

Great shoot, great food and plenty shooting & fellowship..👍

Great seeing Robin (Wobblyshot ) & Mrs Becky again too.👍👍
Thanks again Y’all

Put the final clean up on my trade gun stock an barrel.
Tried Jax black for brass on the ram rod thimbles, trigger guard an butt plate. Then knocked it back with 4 0 steel wool. Not sure if I like it or knot but the wife does...

Attachments

• IMG_20240405_110703.jpg
    IMG_20240405_110703.jpg
    974.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240405_110717.jpg
    IMG_20240405_110717.jpg
    966.7 KB · Views: 0
I was honored to host the shoot mentioned above…. We had 18 folks in attendance.

Three members came in on Thursday and set up a primitive camp. It was awesome hanging around the campfire and tellin’ lies…

image000000.jpeg

The shoot went off very well and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. All the targets I made survived the onslaught, despite Wooblyshot’s best attempts to kill them with a .58 cannon. 😬 A few were limping at the end, but still standing! (Good shootin’, Tex!)

IMG_5336.jpeg

IMG_5347.jpeg

IMG_5356.jpeg

IMG_5345.jpeg

And many thanks to Flint for the mentoring of putting on a shoot!

Last edited:
I was honored to host the shoot mentioned above…. We had 18 folks in attendance.

Three members came in on Thursday and set up a primitive camp. It was awesome hanging around the campfire and tellin’ lies…

View attachment 310564

The shoot went off very well and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. All the targets I made survived the onslaught, despite Wooblyshot’s best attempts to kill them with a .58 cannon. 😬 A few were limping at the end, but still standing!

View attachment 310565

View attachment 310566

View attachment 310567

View attachment 310569
Looks like lots of fun.

Back