• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've mentioned this shooting bag in past posts but have held back on pictures a bit. Anyway, it's done except for punching the buckle holes and probably another application of neatsfoot oil.

The buckle is a donation from @Ohio Rusty. I'm not thrilled with my cleanup on the buckle. Maybe should have lost the gray 🤔 Wonder how it will age.

It's for presentation to the state association Muzzle Loader of the year this Saturday. That's why I held back on pictures. I had mentioned that I'd post pictures when the timing was OK.

View attachment 303576View attachment 303577View attachment 303578
Thats a work of art. Dang thats purdy. You sir did a beautiful job on it. Congrats to you

Buttplate made , nails made , attached ... Gettin stock roughed in a bit ... Gotta forge out a trigger guard soon so cut out a strip of steel for it ... The finished one is my N.Star pattern , early style ...
I dont know a lot on what you all have to do. But yaw got to be artist. Dang it looks like a lot of patience, work and love. Keep posting. I enjoy looking

Took my .50 caliber woodsrunner to the range yesterday. Since I got it, I have been shooting it with 50 grains of 2F GOEX, .015 patch and .490 ball. I decided to try increasing the powder charge to 55 grains. I think that it might have tightened the group a little. The target on the right s with 50 grains the other two are with 55 grains. The two on the right were off a bench rest while the laft target is offhand. Anyway, it was a great day full sun, no wind, 67 degrees.
View attachment 304268
Good shooting.

Finished a drum repair on the Traditions .50 I gave my granddaughter. I bought a new CVA drum that was supposed to fit but it didn’t. Used an oversized drill/tap/nipple from TOW. Also the old drum was too long and extended into the chamber, ground it down and chamfered the end. She needed the stock shortened too, so I cut it down to an 11” LOP and reshaped the butt pad. I’ll run some heavy loads through it before I give it back to her.
Nice

Hi lads and ladies! A wonderful day at the local range here in Townsville today, for our monthly competition. Three targets at 50 metres; 13 shots at each target, counting the best ten shots on each. Only one shooter shot better than me, a difference of 5 points. Very close! The best of all though - lots of banter, camaraderie, and all the noise and smoke associated with our unique sport!

Cheers, Pete
Interesting match structure. Is it modeled after the international matches?

Interesting match structure. Is it modeled after the international matches?
Kind off. Sort of. But not now, really! 😃 Our club started shooting muzzleloader comps back in the early eighties - there was a much bigger following back then, the comps taken far more seriously. The Townsville club rep was the State rep for a few decades, assisting with the National comps too. Our Shoot Captain held onto the genuine International Rules and applications until a couple years back, when he decided to step back from full competitions. We are quite remote here in North Queensland, a considerable distance away from all the areas where the genuine comps are held, so it was decided to keep the group going without the full affiliation and rules of the State and National requirements. Every third Sunday of each month we meet to shoot three targets, usually at 50 metres, sometimes out to 100 metres. We decide on the three targets on arrival, start shooting after a bit of a chat, and sometimes a 'show and tell' of an interesting item someone may have to share. The three targets we shot today consisted of an international round target (sitting, benched), an international round target (standing rest against a post), while we finished shooting at a national target standing off-hand (a goat silhouette). Next month, will be something completely different, but again consisting of three targets, thirteen shots at each, best ten counting. It's a wonderful, relaxed outing, thirty minutes for each target engagement.

Competitors can use flintlocks, percussion, hunting or military rifles/muskets (no in-lines), but all must use traditional open sights - no peep sights. Thanks for the question, @longcruise.

Oh, and no practising before! Bad form 😆; cap off and straight into it.

Cheers, Pete

Did a few hours of testing with my Crockett. Tested several things. Some on the rifle and some with newly cast .311 balls.

First was, I finally decided to give a 6 O-Clock hold a try. This didn’t work out so well for me. My thinking is that it was due to a black aiming square on white background. I recently installed a new front sight with a white bead. So, in terms of that, it didn’t work out well. I intend on trying this again sometime.

I was able to establish that .311 round balls with sprues are more trouble than it’s worth. Very difficult and time consuming that gave me a fit.

Established that this particular rifle likes a 20 grain charge of Swiss better than the 15 grains I was hoping for.

Tested different holds of the butt sick of the rifle until I found one that I hope will be overall best for squirrel hunting.

Established that there are no noticeable difference in accuracy using .018 patches than my perferred .015 patches.

Performed final sight in. All I was interested in up until this point was establishing a group. It mattered not the POI.

Ran a moist patch down the bore with Windex on it after each shot then followed by clean patches until they came out clean.

Due to the sun constantly moving, I found it conducive to keep moving my makeshift table. It was on unlevel ground so this added to inconsistency, with some frustration. Target distance ended up at 27 yards.

In the end, the POI was where I was aiming.

Wound up being:

20 grains of Swiss
.015 ticking
TOTW Mink Oil
.310 swaged round balls

Well, as I said....it's coming along. Just got my Renaissance wax today, so I am trying one last test block (different order to see if the oak brown will do anything under the red) and waiting on the taller rear sight. I'll likely start laying out and working on the incised moulding lines once I get the nose cap on, and then I'll see about insetting my "medallion" in the comb. By that time, hopefully my final dye test is complete and I can move along to the finishing steps.

View attachment 303910

Pardon the sanding dust on the cock and barrel...I clicked before I realized I hadn't blown the dust off.

View attachment 303911
I like the Maltese cross on the pb lid!

Made a batch of caps using the new .005" brass sheet I got, then tested them in a 1860 Army revolver. I'm very happy to report that they work 100%, so much better than the beverage can caps I was making. Also charred two rolls of TP for tomorrow's batch of BP. Oh, and ordered a Kibler SMR kit. Woo Hoo!
You charred some toilet paper?

Shoot some still used a new old patch in my 36 smr kibler yesterday

Attachments

• 20240316_183431.jpg
    20240316_183431.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Did a few hours of testing with my Crockett. Tested several things. Some on the rifle and some with newly cast .311 balls.

First was, I finally decided to give a 6 O-Clock hold a try. This didn’t work out so well for me. My thinking is that it was due to a black aiming square on white background. I recently installed a new front sight with a white bead. So, in terms of that, it didn’t work out well. I intend on trying this again sometime.

I was able to establish that .311 round balls with sprues are more trouble than it’s worth. Very difficult and time consuming that gave me a fit.

Established that this particular rifle likes a 20 grain charge of Swiss better than the 15 grains I was hoping for.

Tested different holds of the butt sick of the rifle until I found one that I hope will be overall best for squirrel hunting.

Established that there are no noticeable difference in accuracy using .018 patches than my perferred .015 patches.

Performed final sight in. All I was interested in up until this point was establishing a group. It mattered not the POI.

Ran a moist patch down the bore with Windex on it after each shot then followed by clean patches until they came out clean.

Due to the sun constantly moving, I found it conducive to keep moving my makeshift table. It was on unlevel ground so this added to inconsistency, with some frustration. Target distance ended up at 27 yards.

In the end, the POI was where I was aiming.

Wound up being:

20 grains of Swiss
.015 ticking
TOTW Mink Oil
.310 swaged round balls
i have determined that the best sight for me is the Hi-Viz with the fibre inserts it comes with multiple inserts and colors so you can change out colors and sizes I use green for hunting and in the woods and red/orange for targets and if the red is to bright i coat it with a sharpie

Got out yesterday and was finally able to shoot the winter project. Shot only 45 caliber to keep it simple. I just shot 8” gongs and did not get serious about sighting in, just fun shooting. Both the new cherry Kibler SMR and my TC Hawken were pretty much minute of deer at 50 yards. Have all spring and summer to play with the SMR but am plenty confident that either the 54 Woodsrunner or the 45 SMR will be able to take a Blacktail at still hunting ranges here in the PNW. Man it was nice to see the sun again. It’s been awhile…

SR1

Banjoman and others always fiddling. I am getting into these paper sabots. Now using a drill for a mandrel I can roll one in 30 secs thats 120 an hour . Half of it is the right paper glue, and the bullet a tighter fit , as the base not done I can now cut the slots with scissors . I have a big hollow base to fill so it will crush and grip the riffling

Attachments

• 11EC9853-CECF-4974-8777-8BE34AD0C403.jpeg
    11EC9853-CECF-4974-8777-8BE34AD0C403.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 64BB8F0F-AC58-4A3A-B528-19B6DC7CE71F.jpeg
    64BB8F0F-AC58-4A3A-B528-19B6DC7CE71F.jpeg
  • D9CC9D28-8B64-46F8-9A60-D90968E914DF.jpeg
    D9CC9D28-8B64-46F8-9A60-D90968E914DF.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • C44B5BC5-8ACE-4E37-AA30-DD728825C790.jpeg
    C44B5BC5-8ACE-4E37-AA30-DD728825C790.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
  • 1AABE373-9CDE-4E03-9C10-93F184DFCDCB.jpeg
    1AABE373-9CDE-4E03-9C10-93F184DFCDCB.jpeg
  • 41E45964-0BEA-4304-B6D7-A969B5282473.jpeg
    41E45964-0BEA-4304-B6D7-A969B5282473.jpeg
  • A7376E26-F63F-4B43-A717-9244DC2B7417.jpeg
    A7376E26-F63F-4B43-A717-9244DC2B7417.jpeg
  • 18DB50B3-7D63-474C-962E-8472A0DCCA65.jpeg
    18DB50B3-7D63-474C-962E-8472A0DCCA65.jpeg
Ha ha ran out of photo space and it sent on its own. Yes filled base with silicon , happy with that , fat chance of shooting it .

It’s all about my 577 ml big game rifle

Stopped raining so wandered down to sons garden allotment above

Attachments

• E45C3AED-E156-42F1-8B3B-D1855B784714.jpeg
    E45C3AED-E156-42F1-8B3B-D1855B784714.jpeg
    1,003.4 KB · Views: 0
  • A71D7FB4-12F5-4AB5-B660-A749B82AEE06.jpeg
    A71D7FB4-12F5-4AB5-B660-A749B82AEE06.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
Hello, OISwede. I am wondering what you have as your profile picture. I have something almost identical from my grandpa that passed away.

@Gordoncourtney a devoted paper patch shooter confided to me that he wet his paper in a solution of water and beat in egg white.

I had a chance to examine paper patched loads for a Swiss vetterli and the patch had been treated with something ongoing that line but not certain what.

So yesterday I attended our Colorado State Muzzle Loading Association (CSMLA) annual convention and trade show. Not as many attendees this year due to recent heavy snow but it was still a grand time.

20240316_131045_copy_800x600.jpg

The Muzzle Loader of the year was passed his official staff and a shooting bag gift from the previous ML of the year.

20240316_171432_copy_600x800.jpg

I acquired a 12g H&R Huntsman that I'm going to play with to find out if I really want a traditional fowler.

Back