• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not today buy rather Sunday and Monday:
On Sunday I got a new fellow out on the range with his "new to him" .50 TC flintlock rifle. After load development and sighting, he put 4 rounds in a 5" circle target center (2 at 25yds and 2 at 50yds) while rested. We settled on 60gr 2F Goex, .01 patch, and .490 roundball. His pan wanted more 4f than I normally use in my flintlocks. The pan, just slightly less than filled, gave him consistent and quick firing. My 3gr dispenser gave him flashes in the pan. 6-7 grain is what it wanted. Then showed him how quick and mess free the clean up with water is on those rifles.
On Monday we went out muzzleloader hunting for our season's last day. No deer observed but he loved the experience and we plan to get together to shoot more soon.

Not today buy rather Sunday and Monday:
On Sunday I got a new fellow out on the range with his "new to him" .50 TC flintlock rifle. After load development and sighting, he put 4 rounds in a 5" circle target center (2 at 25yds and 2 at 50yds) while rested. We settled on 60gr 2F Goex, .01 patch, and .490 roundball. His pan wanted more 4f than I normally use in my flintlocks. The pan, just slightly less than filled, gave him consistent and quick firing. My 3gr dispenser gave him flashes in the pan. 6-7 grain is what it wanted. Then showed him how quick and mess free the clean up with water is on those rifles.
On Monday we went out muzzleloader hunting for our season's last day. No deer observed but he loved the experience and we plan to get together to shoot more soon.
Mentoring is a huge thing and something to be proud of.

Coat #3 on the SMR today. Chamber's oil goes a long way on the stock and all over the bench when you knock the can over.
Fortunately I had a thick piece of butcher paper on the bench and was able to recover the majority of the spill as it was contained on the paper. Still have plenty left unless spill the can again. DOH!

Worked on a hawk head! Final shaping, sanding and file work! Next is heat treatment!

Attachments

• IMG_5802.jpeg
    IMG_5802.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5803.jpeg
    IMG_5803.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Met up with a fellow forum member Cajun72 and swapped him a Renegade for a old low numbered CVA Mountain Rifle. All stamps are on right side of the barrel instead of the left. Just a beautiful gun. Cant wait to shoot it this weekend.

For those wondering. He is a stand up guy to deal with. 10/10 recommend without hesitation.

Attachments

• 20240116_201305.jpg
    20240116_201305.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240116_201308.jpg
    20240116_201308.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Met up with a fellow forum member Cajun72 and swapped him a Renegade for a old low numbered CVA Mountain Rifle. All stamps are on right side of the barrel instead of the left. Just a beautiful gun. Cant wait to shoot it this weekend.

For those wondering. He is a stand up guy to deal with. 10/10 recommend without hesitation.
That browned barrel looks amazing !

While looking at that particular rifle I noticed that the stamping was on the right side vs mine which is a .45 cal. made in USA and on he left hand side. My rear sight is different too.

IMG_3126.jpeg
IMG_3135.jpeg
IMG_3139.jpeg
I made a riser block and an aperture for a Lyman SML peep sight I recently purchased here. It’s mounted on a left handed GPR. I also bought a 17A front globe. Found it ok for target but it didn’t do much for letting light in for hunting. Rigged up piece of an arrow nock to raise the factory front blade for now. I can see it much better with my bad eyes.

Coat #3 on the SMR today. Chamber's oil goes a long way on the stock and all over the bench when you knock the can over.
Fortunately I had a thick piece of butcher paper on the bench and was able to recover the majority of the spill as it was contained on the paper. Still have plenty left unless spill the can again. DOH!
4th and final coat of Chamber's oil on the stock this morning. I'm digging the no build matte/satin finish. Still only one coat on the bench.

Latest posts

Back