• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I refinished my Traditions .50 Deerhunter to gift my oldest granddaughter for Christmas. The rifle is a good shooter but it was rough, most of the bluing gone, and an ugly shiny finish. I stripped and reblued the barrel and parts. Sanded down the stock and restrained with Dixie’s antique stain. Then rubbed it down with a couple of coats of a BLO/gum turpentine mix. Also did a good thumb polish on the muzzle and polished the bore before I started.
I think that looks nice. She should be a happy shooter with that.

I refinished my Traditions .50 Deerhunter to gift my oldest granddaughter for Christmas. The rifle is a good shooter but it was rough, most of the bluing gone, and an ugly shiny finish. I stripped and reblued the barrel and parts. Sanded down the stock and restrained with Dixie’s antique stain. Then rubbed it down with a couple of coats of a BLO/gum turpentine mix. Also did a good thumb polish on the muzzle and polished the bore before I started.
Very nice!

Hunting season here is now on pause until after Christmas. I took the opportunity to gold plate the front sight on my .54 Isaac Haines. Really helps sight definition in low light.

1702771830275.png

nice

Not today, but yesterday. I went to the range to unload the Woodsrunner from hunting season. I had grabbed a jar of Olde Eynsford powder off the shelf to load the gun, topped with some corn meal, and patched ball. I had a little hang fire, but this did not cause me any notice as the gun had been loaded for a couple weeks.

However, when I got home to clean the gun, I noticed that the gun stank to high heaven. The O.E. powder was gifted by a friend and I had not used it before loading this time. I generally use Swiss and had used Graf's in the past, (since it was cheaper) but the Graf's seemed to leave more fouling. However, neither of those smelled like this. I have shot B.P. for many years, and have shot many brands, but they all smelled the same.

Ideas?

The Doc is minimally perplexed and will not lose any sleep over this. 😎

Took the .45 SMR to the woods for it's first shooting session. Seems to be a slower ignition than my Woodsrunner, but still fast enough. Will need to do some fine tuning. Tried the 50/50 mix of Dawn and water for patch lube. Works great with no wiping required. Didn't take the portable shooting bench so no load workup yet. All in all, great day on the Oregon coast. Bright sun and t-shirt weather.

My wife and I were relaxing watching the TV the other night and she noticed I had been watching a bunch of YouTube videos on making a Kibler long rifle. She ended up watching a few then stated "you could do that" and after discussing the cost and how nice they looked, said "why don't you order one"! No argument from me! So I made a call and Friday morning I ordered a Colonial , 58 cal smooth bore with a very nice stock that had a few blemishes that I can work out. And it looks like it will be here before Christmas! I don't think she will let me open it until Christmas morning! Merry Christmas
Although it was a little nerve racking as USPS said the kit was to be delivered on Thursday, Saturday it was marked "out for delivery". As I waited like a kid on Christmas our rural carrier came up the driveway with a few packages but not the Kibler kit! It would not fit in her mail truck with all her other deliveries. Hope was not lost as I could pick it up at our local Post Office BTW was closing in twenty minutes. We made it there in time although the office was very dark and after searching I found a little door bell for Saturday pick ups. Excitement rises when I handed over the slip! After ten minutes they finally found it. I haven't opened it yet but today I might take a sneak peak, you know just to check for and damage in shipping!

I was rummaging under my workbench for a large box of junk to look for some O rings and grabbed a large muzzleloading stuff box by mistake. Much to my surprise it held a 16" x 3' piece of my old pillow ticking patching material from years ago. I was worried I'd have to go find another source but this will keep me in patches for a while.

Weather finally cooperated and made it to the range this morning. 39 degrees, no wind, 35 yards with .50 cal. T/C Renegade with peep sight, PRB with .015 linen patches, mink oil lube, 60 grains Graff FF. Turned 74 on the 15th and eyes aren’t nearly what they were, but I’ll take it. First time at range since early October — I needed the stress reliever!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Back