• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished a flat Powder Horn. It's already got a new home :)

Attachments

• 50_ 1.jpg
    50_ 1.jpg
    389.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 50_ 2.jpg
    50_ 2.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 50_ 4.jpg
    50_ 4.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 0
I have a big, heavy range box, full of everything for all my BP guns. Today, I was off(rare) and put together a mini box/case for just stuff for my perc Hawken, so I don't have to bring EVERYTHING to the range(have a club shoot coming up). While doing that, I binge watched the latest 8 episodes of 'Into The Wild Frontier-the 1700s" that have been on my DVR for months.

Just unboxed a new to me Don Bruton 20 gauge smoothbore. A Bobby Hoyt 47" custom profile barrel and a Jim Kibler lock, that amounts to 6 pounds of wonderful. Can't wait to see how she shoots and make meat.
Rut should start getting under full steam by next week down here in South Texas. Really do love shooting smoothbores. Color me broke and happy.

Attachments

• IMG_3862[1].JPG
    IMG_3862[1].JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3865.JPG
    IMG_3865.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Running around Pennsylvania, went ox yoke , store is closed to walking around but you can slide an order in a slot.
Trying to get over to 18th shop I think at Pennsylvania creek . Today I am going to try to get to Bedford historic society
In my long ago Pennsylvania life had a good friend, B.A.Thomas, from Bedford. He shot all kinds of guns but also kept alive his family's (and Bedford's) long rifle tradition. Enjoy the historical society there and post a few pics?

Just unboxed a new to me Don Bruton 20 gauge smoothbore. A Bobby Hoyt 47" custom profile barrel and a Jim Kibler lock, that amounts to 6 pounds of wonderful. Can't wait to see how she shoots and make meat.
Rut should start getting under full steam by next week down here in South Texas. Really do love shooting smoothbores. Color me broke and happy.
Nice images, Kevin, thanks. You're in love already; you'll have a few nice dances with that fine lady!

Cheers, Pete

Took the Maple .45 SMR out to see how my latest sight filing would do. Perfect day for shooting. I also took the gloves off and used @deerstalkert ’s famous Bear oil lube plus I went to a .020 patch. The Bear lube worked great! At 25 yards she’s hitting pretty much dead on with a center hold. Unfortunately when I saw where it was hitting at 25 I knew I had filed just a little too much and sure enough it was hitting a little low at 50 with the same hold. So I played around with raising the front sight a little higher in the notch to correct. I don’t want to file the front sight, but I’ll figure something out. Then did some offhand shooting at my portable steel target. (If you notice holes in my steel target there from my oldest granddaughter blasting away at it with her 30-30 back in the spring!). Anyway I shot a bunch and enjoyed it, now the rifle is fit to enjoy on my woods walk course. Now to clean up.

Attachments

• IMG_3028.jpeg
    IMG_3028.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3029.jpeg
    IMG_3029.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3030.jpeg
    IMG_3030.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3031.jpeg
    IMG_3031.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3033.jpeg
    IMG_3033.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3035.jpeg
    IMG_3035.jpeg
    6.1 MB · Views: 0
worked more on the cherry build. finished the butt plate. did i ever.......................
decided to shoot the postal shoot with the rifle i finished last week.
and i used 777 again in the flintlock. no hesitation. with the 6 lbs i have from my friend i will never have to make powder again.
i somehow got the stock of this last build wrong because it slaps me in the cheek bone like an old maid slaps a drunk sailor.
have a look and see if anyone can figure out what i did wrong.

Attachments

• 20231129_142910.jpg
    20231129_142910.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231129_143316.jpg
    20231129_143316.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
the rifle, guy's, the rifle!
never mind the shooting, i can barely see the front sight and have to guess where the target is!!
i was hoping someone could see where i went wrong on shaping the stock.
TDM, that bear grease really helps in some of my bores. i fired the last rifle 25 times with that lube smeared on the patch like butter on bread and the load slid down the bore almost as easy on the 25 as the first.
i used spit patches last outing and had a crud ring after 5 shots.
if you run out of that stuff let me know. i now have 10 pints of pure rendered fat.

the rifle, guy's, the rifle!
never mind the shooting, i can barely see the front sight and have to guess where the target is!!
i was hoping someone could see where i went wrong on shaping the stock.
TDM, that bear grease really helps in some of my bores. i fired the last rifle 25 times with that lube smeared on the patch like butter on bread and the load slid down the bore almost as easy on the 25 as the first.
i used spit patches last outing and had a crud ring after 5 shots.
if you run out of that stuff let me know. i now have 10 pints of pure rendered fat.
Your lube really did do well, I had less fouling than when I use mink oil. But, while I’m a deadly shot at 25 yards, everything past that is a guess!!! I just need some new eyes.

worked more on the cherry build. finished the butt plate. did i ever.......................
decided to shoot the postal shoot with the rifle i finished last week.
and i used 777 again in the flintlock. no hesitation. with the 6 lbs i have from my friend i will never have to make powder again.
i somehow got the stock of this last build wrong because it slaps me in the cheek bone like an old maid slaps a drunk sailor.
have a look and see if anyone can figure out what i did wrong.
Hey deerstalkert. Do you like working on fitting butt plates? Just kidding!! 😁😂

Good shooting!

Cheers, Pete

Latest posts

Back