• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made a few things: combination ball starter/pressure flaker with a mulie horn base and a copper nail from the local mines; vent pick (how do I keep losing these?); and a 90-grain powder measure (finally found a good use for a .300 Utra Mag case, haha).
BallStarterPressureFlaker.jpeg
VentPick.jpeg
90grPowderMeasure.jpeg

17F this morning, a frozen fingers shoot. My Frontier .50 cal percussion. Shot some Triple 7 3F (save my BP for the flintlock). A little snow in the bushes but pretty dry out there. 50 grains, .480 ball, .015 patch.

50 yds off hand, then rang some of the range gongs for awhile after that at various yardage 50-150. :)

Nov 26th 2023 50 yds.jpg Nov 26th 2023.jpg

17F this morning, a frozen fingers shoot. My Frontier .50 cal percussion. Shot some Triple 7 3F (save my BP for the flintlock). A little snow in the bushes but pretty dry out there. 50 grains, .480 ball, .015 patch.

50 yds off hand, then rang some of the range gongs for awhile after that at various yardage 50-150. :)

View attachment 272213 View attachment 272214
good shooting bud

I grew up in a ranching family and made my living ranching for over 20 years. I was always amazed at the raw strength of a full grown bull.
was fishing a pay pond. ugh. big bull got after me. i ran and jumped under the fence. went up to the guy i paid to fish. he was laughing. said boy u can run. at the time i wasnt very happy. left rod and reels and tackle box at pond. the guy took me down there thru the gate in his truck and got my stuff. tore my chlothes up on the barb wired fence. didnt go back

was fishing a pay pond. ugh. big bull got after me. i ran and jumped under the fence. went up to the guy i paid to fish. he was laughing. said boy u can run. at the time i wasnt very happy. left rod and reels and tackle box at pond. the guy took me down there thru the gate in his truck and got my stuff. tore my chlothes up on the barb wired fence. didnt go back
I feel your pain, oldschoolhunter55, but man, your little story did make me chuckle! I hope you have recovered.

Pete

You just never know what those critters are going to do! My folks were running a dairy in western Missouri back in the 60's. Had a calf needed some doctorin' in the holding pen. Dad dropped a loop on it, it took off running, no matter how fast I was moving, wasn't fast enough, ended up face down in the dirt!!

A DEA officer stopped at a ranch in Texas, and talked with an old rancher.

He told the rancher, "I need to inspect your ranch for illegally grown drugs."

The rancher said, "Okay, but don't go in that field over there.....,"

as he pointed out the location.

The DEA officer verbally exploded saying, "Mister, I have the authority of the

Federal Government with me!"

Reaching into his rear pants pocket, the arrogant officer removed his badge

and proudly displayed it to the rancher.

"See this FEDERAL badge?! This badge means I am allowed to go wherever I wish....

On any land!! No questions asked or answers given!! Have I made myself clear?

DO YOU UNDERSTAND?!!"
The rancher nodded politely, apologized, and went about his chores.

A short time later, the old rancher heard loud screams, looked up, and saw the DEA officer running for his life,

being chased by the rancher's big Santa Gertrudis bull......

With every step the bull was gaining ground on the officer, and it seemed likely that

he'd sure enough get gored before he reached safety. The officer was clearly terrified.

The rancher threw down his tools, ran to the fence and yelled at the top of his lungs.....

(I just love this part....)

."Your badge! Show him your FEDERAL badge....!!

Spent the day chasing muleys on the Palouse, in Eastern Washington. Have a doe tag and saw 25 does and fawns or so, but none inside the 75 yards I prefer. (Bought a .58 cal Kibler Colonial this spring, but I'm not dialed in enough, so I carried my old TC .54 Hawken, for its 42nd year.) I was ready to go with some (also old) 425 grains Great Plains bullets in front of 90 grains of Goex fff. The day started very foggy, but ended up bright and sunny. I might have been able to put a move on a small group late in the day, but the sun and I were fading about the same time. (To be fair, I had been up quite a bit longer than it had.) Next time though - next time.......

A DEA officer stopped at a ranch in Texas, and talked with an old rancher.

He told the rancher, "I need to inspect your ranch for illegally grown drugs."

The rancher said, "Okay, but don't go in that field over there.....,"

as he pointed out the location.

The DEA officer verbally exploded saying, "Mister, I have the authority of the

Federal Government with me!"

Reaching into his rear pants pocket, the arrogant officer removed his badge

and proudly displayed it to the rancher.

"See this FEDERAL badge?! This badge means I am allowed to go wherever I wish....

On any land!! No questions asked or answers given!! Have I made myself clear?

DO YOU UNDERSTAND?!!"
The rancher nodded politely, apologized, and went about his chores.

A short time later, the old rancher heard loud screams, looked up, and saw the DEA officer running for his life,

being chased by the rancher's big Santa Gertrudis bull......

With every step the bull was gaining ground on the officer, and it seemed likely that

he'd sure enough get gored before he reached safety. The officer was clearly terrified.

The rancher threw down his tools, ran to the fence and yelled at the top of his lungs.....

(I just love this part....)

."Your badge! Show him your FEDERAL badge....!!
lol. thanks for that. gave me a good laugh

Spent the day chasing muleys on the Palouse, in Eastern Washington. Have a doe tag and saw 25 does and fawns or so, but none inside the 75 yards I prefer. (Bought a .58 cal Kibler Colonial this spring, but I'm not dialed in enough, so I carried my old TC .54 Hawken, for its 42nd year.) I was ready to go with some (also old) 425 grains Great Plains bullets in front of 90 grains of Goex fff. The day started very foggy, but ended up bright and sunny. I might have been able to put a move on a small group late in the day, but the sun and I were fading about the same time. (To be fair, I had been up quite a bit longer than it had.) Next time though - next time.......
l hear ya bud. u will get a next time. hang in there and good luck to ya. people that dont hunt will never understand it aint about killing.

Back