• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fun! how is the geometry of the hammer and nipple? any chance of squaring the breech inlet and moving the thing (you know, "the thing") back?
may be enough play in the wedge lug. then the under rib will bump, so would need inlet or trimmed.

alternative is square up the inlet and glue in a filler. use matching wood and it could disappear. or a contrast wood.
or leave it and let it fill with fouling!:ghostly:

fun! how is the geometry of the hammer and nipple? any chance of squaring the breech inlet and moving the thing (you know, "the thing") back?
may be enough play in the wedge lug. then the under rib will bump, so would need inlet or trimmed.

alternative is square up the inlet and glue in a filler. use matching wood and it could disappear. or a contrast wood.
or leave it and let it fill with fouling!:ghostly:
I was thinking of replacing the brass toe plate with bone, so may square it up and use a bone shim for kind of a interesting addition to the old gun...

i have finally given up wrangling. or the bulls have decided it for me. can't wrestle this guy anymore, and sure can't run from him!
he is the calmest bull in the herd, sometimes scares me realizing their capabilities.View attachment 271940
I grew up in a ranching family and made my living ranching for over 20 years. I was always amazed at the raw strength of a full grown bull.

it does present you with all kinds of opportunity to make it your own. a punched out silver dollar would be about the same as a squared up space. bone, ebony, silver, all would loo great.
bone or antler would probably stain a bit with use but that might be the best eventual look.
now you have me considering something along those lines on this build i am doing.

I grew up in a ranching family and made my living ranching for over 20 years. I was always amazed at the raw strength of a full grown bull.
many times calm as a pup. but Katey bar the door if they want to be some place other than you want them to be.
pizzed that guy off once and he shoved a 4 cow trailer over the bank. with the truck attached.
he was a three year old in that picture, hadn't gotten his strength and size yet!
followed him once when he came down the mountain. he had been ganged up on by two other bulls. every fir, cedar, or tamarack sapling he came to he uprooted. kept my distance.

Amidst all the stuff I had to do today, I managed to get back to work for a couple of hours on a flat horn.
I need a long, quiet day soon!

Attachments

• IMG_0657.jpeg
    IMG_0657.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
many times calm as a pup. but Katey bar the door if they want to be some place other than you want them to be.
pizzed that guy off once and he shoved a 4 cow trailer over the bank. with the truck attached.
he was a three year old in that picture, hadn't gotten his strength and size yet!
followed him once when he came down the mountain. he had been ganged up on by two other bulls. every fir, cedar, or tamarack sapling he came to he uprooted. kept my distance.
I have no difficulty believing this. Back in the days of grass ropes and wood plank fences we found a bull of ours that had an abscess on his jaw. He was a Hereford bull as you say, “calm as a pup”. We ran him up the chute and butted his head against a post - made a few wraps around his horns with the grass rope. He was in a chute and the sides were made of 2”x6” lumber.
Let me tell you - when dad lanced that abscess- it must’ve hurt like hades. That bull bellowed… He hooked a horn under the bottom plank of that chute and ripped through those boards like they were made of balsa wood. Then he shook his head and snapped those wraps of grass rope.
Well - without ropes and planks - dad and I found ourselves in the same enclosure with an angry bull. I’ll never forget how fast dad moved that day, lol. I’ll also never forget how what a display of strength that bull gave us.
So yep - those ol’ boys are impressive when ticked off.

Went hunting again this evening. For some odd reason I decided that I needed to know what was on the side of this ridge that was steep as a cows face. I stood there, half way up, thinking I was the only one stupid enough to attempt that climb. That’s when I spotted the spiffy headlamp laying on the ground! Guess I’m not the only idiot that climbed that ridge.😏

Went hunting again this evening. For some odd reason I decided that I needed to know what was on the side of this ridge that was steep as a cows face. I stood there, half way up, thinking I was the only one stupid enough to attempt that climb. That’s when I spotted the spiffy headlamp laying on the ground! Guess I’m not the only idiot that climbed that ridge.😏
I used to climb those steep ridges. Then I figured out that on the other side of every one was another steep side.😩😊

Back