• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the butt stock and wrist all shaped. Also some detail work around the locks and side plate and added as brass thumb piece. A bit of work on the forestock and then I’m off to do some deer hunting for the afternoon!

Attachments

• IMG_0528.jpeg
    IMG_0528.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0529.jpeg
    IMG_0529.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Went hunting this morning and while busting through some real dense brush I bumped a 130-150lb Hog at about 10 yards. Had my sights on the Black body, but it was so dense I couldn't tell if it was a big hog or a small black bear. It took off and I got a small window at about 70yards, I took a shot with my 58 Smoothbore standing unsupported and I rushed the shot, Clean miss best I can tell, he trotted off and I spent the next hour and a half combing the area with no luck.

After that failure I headed to the range and got some more offhand practice, fired about 25 shots through my southern rifle.

I stopped at a local pawn shop to see if there were any muzzleloaders there. They had one that was built around 1970 buy a builder from Colorado. It was a well made copy of a .50 caliber Hawken that looked like it had been used for hunting. I inquired for the price and the said $ 700.00. As I held it I asked if they had a bore light and they did not. I took the ramrod and slowly ran it down the barrel leaning it to one side to detect any pitting. It felt like someone had welded # 7 bird shot into the barrel, I told them the barrel was heavily pitted, thanked them for letting me examine the rifle and walked out. Some of these pawn shop guys need to learn more about fire arms before they put a price on something.

I completed sanding the stock and then gave it a couple applications of alkaline dye. After it dried ( using a heat gun on low temp), I burnished it with very a fine 3M pad and then paper towels. Next will be some varnish to seal it and finally paste wax.

Attachments

• IMG_0536.jpeg
    IMG_0536.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0537.jpeg
    IMG_0537.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Did some more scraping and sanding on my horn. Don’t think I could have found a worse one to work with. It will be somewhere between homely and butt ugly when finished. Have to warn @PathfinderNC not to look at, will probably make his eyes bleed.

Attachments

• IMG_2953.jpeg
    IMG_2953.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last night I swapped out the triggers on my GPR from factory to Davis Deerslayer. Took it to the range this morning and burned half a pound of 3F. Unfortunately the wind was moving away from the firing line and hardly got to smell any smoke.

finished inletting the tang into my new build. this is a cherry stock. i spent an hour shaving wood and 2 hours sharpening my tools. this cherry makes scary sharp tools not sharp enough.
used the last of my remaining energy to shoot Darwin, the evolutionary marvel. i marvel it turned out as nice as it did.
.54 green mountain 1 innch.
Haddaway lock.
60g fffg swiss
.530 prb home cast
50 yards benched.
had to file the sight some and probably some more. buckhorn rear and rockymountain front.
20231110_135305.jpg

Did some more scraping and sanding on my horn. Don’t think I could have found a worse one to work with. It will be somewhere between homely and butt ugly when finished. Have to warn @PathfinderNC not to look at, will probably make his eyes bleed.
Some of my horns were worse than that- but you can make them work. Rustic is fine :)

Attachments

• horn 8.jpg
    horn 8.jpg
    582.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 4 g.jpg
    4 g.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I was lucky enough to buy a nice case by a well known brand ...

Unfortunately , the wooden container for the caps , made from ebony , was missing and replaced by a not fitting one , made from boxwood .

Therefore I took the grease container as a sample and rebuilt this item from a scrap piece of ebony -
came out not too bad ...

G106753_2a.jpgIMG_20231108_175546.jpgIMG_20231108_174330.jpg

Latest posts

Back