• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found my old William's peep sight.

But it was made for a round barrel.

Not no mo.

JB Weld to the rescue.

Attachments

• IMG_3664.JPG
    IMG_3664.JPG
    852.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3665.JPG
    IMG_3665.JPG
    732 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3666.JPG
    IMG_3666.JPG
    585.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3667.JPG
    IMG_3667.JPG
    843.2 KB · Views: 0
Continued work on pistol loading stand. Upright for Harper's Ferry done worked well last range trip with it. Finishing up the upright for the Kentucky.

Took the Thompson Center Hawken out again today. Finally got a load I can live with. 50 grains 3f (previously used 2f), .495 round ball, 100% tight weave cotton material and spit lube. Just gotta take these results out to 50 yards. I ran out of balls and patches today🤭.
0AEA017A-8AA9-4003-8441-B12E9A2B9DBE.jpeg
Anybody know when Kibler is going to offer a Hawken kit?🤣🤣

Took the Thompson Center Hawken out again today. Finally got a load I can live with. 50 grains 3f (previously used 2f), .495 round ball, 100% tight weave cotton material and spit lube. Just gotta take these results out to 50 yards. I ran out of balls and patches today🤭. View attachment 261441Anybody know when Kibler is going to offer a Hawken kit?🤣🤣
Once again proof that magnumitis charges aren't required for best accuracy.

Great shooting.

Did some short range, 25-yards, comparison of PRB vs. mini-ball I’d cast. 70 gr. Pyrodex for both .54 projectiles. Bench rest groups still show me PRB is preferable in my rifle (1:48) with cloverleafs vs. about 4” groups for the minis. Fun to experiment. Deer season for BP coming up the 28th. PRB will be the choice this year.

Put some balls and shot through my Pedersoli Harper's Ferry .54 cal smoothy pistol. Broke the ramrod and ordered a new brass one from Dixie.

Took the Thompson Center Hawken out again today. Finally got a load I can live with. 50 grains 3f (previously used 2f), .495 round ball, 100% tight weave cotton material and spit lube. Just gotta take these results out to 50 yards. I ran out of balls and patches today🤭. View attachment 261441Anybody know when Kibler is going to offer a Hawken kit?🤣🤣

He is just now beginning his design process. It will be a 1/2 stock percussion.

An old man 85 -90 asked me to build him a pistol for a conversation piece wall hanger.he said nothing fancy just a wall hanger.I dug around an put enough pieces together to make one .. stained and waxed an old badly inletted stock..rusted an oiled a barrel with cold bluing..oiled it.. looking for something to make a bead from..and a small drill bit to drill nail holes cause the stock is from the 60s ya anit nailing that with out a crack happening.he asked on the ,7,th so what I'm a week in.. that's not bad.. I'll post it when I'm done.. that's what
I did today blackpowder

Attachments

• IMG_20231018_001410702.jpg
    IMG_20231018_001410702.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
removed about half a cord of wood from the forearm of my current "keep me out of her hair" project.
inlet a Doc Haddaway lock. tested some stain on scrap to see what to use on this Birch. dang if it didn't take Aqua Fortis and tru oil almost as good as Maple. started to make a trigger but ran out of steam.
oh yeah, ups dropped off a 13/16th Colerain .45 barrel from muzzleloaderbuilders.com.
got it inlet in a cherry half stock also. need to scrounge up another lock for that one.

Today I borrowed a friend's bullet mold and made some .451 balls. First attempt. The material used was old lead flashing for roofing. Now, these seem awfully shiny, and when I load my revolvers, they take a bit more force to load than, say, my Hornady ones, although the thin 'ring' is still present. Do any of you think I should perhaps not use these? Maybe there is a small amount of tin or something else mixed in with the lead? I know about a third of them show markings associated with irregular cooling. Thoughts appreciated! Thanks.
Balls.jpg

Last edited:
they take a bit more force to load than, say, my Hornady ones,
They are probably a bit larger than the Hornaday balls. That's not a problem. If they are showing a hairline of lead where the mold halves come together then the mold may need cleaning. Or, it may be slightly warped. Sometimes the solution is to squeeze the mold handles tighter.
They should be just fine except for any that didn't fill the mold completely.

Back