• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started engraving a flat horn this morning. You can see how I changed the design as it went along. I just don’t know how these will turn out in the end!

Attachments

• IMG_0267.jpeg
    IMG_0267.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0270.jpeg
    IMG_0270.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Did the final assembly of my SMR yesterday. Discovered a few things have changed after applying the finish. Prior to finish the barrel was longer than the stock. After finish the stock was longer than the barrel. Go figure. All in all, just a few minor details to address today, and then it's shootin time!

Happy, Happy, Happy, Been working on my mountain rifle for 2 months (many many hours) and today I shoot it for the first time and was pleasantly surprised. Guess I can go ahead and brown the barrel, was worried because I screwed up to a degree, everything I did on this rifle, so I was holding off just in case. First build since a TC Hawken kit 45 or 50 years ago and this rifle wasn't a kit, just a blank with ramrod and barrel channel. Rifle (still dirty) and its first group, no adjustments 6 shots I think. Always got to have one flyer, continued to shoot well for another 15 or so shoots.

Happy Phil

20231019_140603.jpg 20231019_123944.jpg

Last edited:
Had a good time shooting. Started out with the .45 SMR I built last winter with the new taller sight installed. And proved that even a blind hog can find an acorn! I made zero sight adjustments. Used 45 grains Swiss 3F, Goex 4F prime, .440 cast RBs, and .020 patch with mink oil lube. First 5 shots at 50 yards I wasn’t happy, but I swabbed the barrel and made myself settle down, was happy with the results. Also shot the .54 WR, I was happy with it last week, but ended up with some slight sight movement while trying to stake them. Although fine at 25 yards, it was hitting left at 50. Kept putting in more sight drift and went a little too far. Even tried a few shots at 100 for grins & giggles, but for my eyes it’s more of a stunt. I’ll have to work with the sights a little more next time. Was using 60 grains Swiss 3F, .530 balls, and .018 PT in the .54. Mink oil lube.

Attachments

• IMG_2816.jpeg
    IMG_2816.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2822.jpeg
    IMG_2822.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2820.jpeg
    IMG_2820.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2814.jpeg
    IMG_2814.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2813.jpeg
    IMG_2813.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2812.jpeg
    IMG_2812.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2824.jpeg
    IMG_2824.jpeg
    7 MB · Views: 0
View attachment 261897 Finished up this bad boy today and listed it over in the classifieds, first drape hat I’ve ever done and was a PITA, pleased with how it turned out though, definitely not my last.
Well I went to the range today for one last test for slim and though he doesn’t like #5 shot he does like the other two.That’s free hand from a shaky ole guy on a windy day I thought it was pretty good.

Attachments

• IMG_0250.jpeg
    IMG_0250.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Had a good time shooting. Started out with the .45 SMR I built last winter with the new taller sight installed. And proved that even a blind hog can find an acorn! I made zero sight adjustments. Used 45 grains Swiss 3F, Goex 4F prime, .440 cast RBs, and .020 patch with mink oil lube. First 5 shots at 50 yards I wasn’t happy, but I swabbed the barrel and made myself settle down, was happy with the results. Also shot the .54 WR, I was happy with it last week, but ended up with some slight sight movement while trying to stake them. Although fine at 25 yards, it was hitting left at 50. Kept putting in more sight drift and went a little too far. Even tried a few shots at 100 for grins & giggles, but for my eyes it’s more of a stunt. I’ll have to work with the sights a little more next time. Was using 60 grains Swiss 3F, .530 balls, and .018 PT in the .54. Mink oil lube.
Nice shooting TDM and nice rifles ,I give up on open sights years ago and went to peep sights .I put the Williams peep on my Hawken and although I like it it the front sight sits a little high but it works for me.

Nice shooting TDM and nice rifles ,I give up on open sights years ago and went to peep sights .I put the Williams peep on my Hawken and although I like it it the front sight sits a little high but it works for me.
Thanks, I have a Williams peep sight on my Renegade, but haven’t shot it enough to decide if I like it or not. Might have to just shoot at only 25-30 yards at the rate I’m going! Could be worse though.

Happy, Happy, Happy, Been working on my mountain rifle for 2 months (many many hours) and today I shoot it for the first time and was pleasantly surprised. Guess I can go ahead and brown the barrel, was worried because I screwed up to a degree, everything I did on this rifle, so I was holding off just in case. First build since a TC Hawken kit 45 or 50 years ago and this rifle wasn't a kit, just a blank with ramrod and barrel channel. Rifle (still dirty) and its first group, no adjustments 6 shots I think. Always got to have one flyer, continued to shoot well for another 15 or so shoots.

Happy Phil

View attachment 261893 View attachment 261894
Hole on the right shooters error. Just kidding.nice target

Back