• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not feeling that good still got Colvid in the background then there’s my cancer stuff, but don’t mind that

My Feldstutzer came with only the quadrant and nothing else so the last two days getting the other bits together on the lathe and engraver mill. , well at 80 what else is there to do . Will I ever fire it, who knows. Ha ha makes a change working on its bullet mold. I also epoxied on a mount so I can use a red dot to experiment. Could be fun.

I have two 7
Sidelocks and picatinny rails.

Whoduhthunkit.

Well my Scout still had a light hump in the comb coming forward from the butt-stock. I took a straight edge n lined out another 3/16". Took most of it off with my rasp, finished rest with a mill file. Then i took some time with 320 grit sandpaper to get it fairly smooth. I am pleased with the looks n the comb feel on my cheek. When i get a chance i will stain it with miniwax pecan n sealer.

I was doing a little organizing and ran across 40 paper cartridges I made around 3 years ago,they had been dipped in a melted beeswax tallow mix I had actually planned to stash them for a year to see if they'd still work, I ran 2 cylinders through my 1861 navy,and they worked like i made them yesterday.

I was afraid being dipped in lube a wee bit past the bullet would contaminate the powder over time but they was fine,only difference I noticed was more unburned paper ring at bottom of chamber,not sure if some of the lube wicked down cartridge or paper was itty bitty bit damp from being in basement for 3 years.

More casting. This time 54 cal Sharps Christmas Tree bullets and Richmond bullets for my original 1863 Sharps Carbine that arrives in the mail today.

Attachments

• 20230818_114527.jpg
    20230818_114527.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230818_112630_01.jpg
    IMG_20230818_112630_01.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230818_095005_01.jpg
    IMG_20230818_095005_01.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Put the final coat of Tried & True on the patch box top, so tomorrow the Cherry Woodsrunner will be complete. Sanded down the stock of the Maple .54 Woodsrunner and wiped it down for the 2nd whiskering. It will be ready for carving this afternoon, but I’m only planning on doing some simple lines and accents. I may get brave and do a small relief on the tang, but I’ve decided that I’d rather regret Not carving the stock than to regret having carved it!!! Still have to draw file and blue the .54 barrel, but all other metal work is done.

Attachments

• IMG_2453.jpeg
    IMG_2453.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2449.jpeg
    IMG_2449.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2450.jpeg
    IMG_2450.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Cut/filed lines in the Maple stock and patch box lid plus the thumb hold. Still have to do the other side of the stock. But this will be it, no further adornments. Doing the straight lines are one thing, but I nearly screwed up cutting the curved ending line. I’ll put the iron nitrate on tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_2454.jpeg
    IMG_2454.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2455.jpeg
    IMG_2455.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2456.jpeg
    IMG_2456.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Put the final coat of Tried & True on the patch box top, so tomorrow the Cherry Woodsrunner will be complete. Sanded down the stock of the Maple .54 Woodsrunner and wiped it down for the 2nd whiskering. It will be ready for carving this afternoon, but I’m only planning on doing some simple lines and accents. I may get brave and do a small relief on the tang, but I’ve decided that I’d rather regret Not carving the stock than to regret having carved it!!! Still have to draw file and blue the .54 barrel, but all other metal work is done.
So how do you rate the cherry stock vs. maple? I want to get a colonial kit to finish this winter and trying to decide on stock wood type.

So how do you rate the cherry stock vs. maple? I want to get a colonial kit to finish this winter and trying to decide on stock wood type.
I’ve done several Maple stocks, but this was my first Cherry. Personally, with my experience, I don’t see much difference in cutting or sanding the two though many say Cherry is easier to work. But with a Kibler kit that’s not an issue. I lucked out with a Cherry finish I like. Don’t think you can go wrong with either. I’m going to be building a Cherry SMR soon and I’ll be trying a different finish. I’ll have more experience to compare then.

took an assortment of muzzleloaders to a community yard sale.
two TC's, one cva mountain rifle, an investarms, and my restocked Zulu shotgun.
also took my plank built .45 SMR with a CM2 stock just to show off and maybe get some build orders.
9 out of 10 lookers passed the commercial guns by and zeroed in on the SMR. mostly the verbal comments that went beyond "nice gun" were comments from women. comments such as ART, graceful, even dreamy!
one woman got incensed when informed it wasn't for sale. its mine.
i feel i have sadly ignored a huge population of potential new muzzleloading converts.
and as the temps approached 100* the view was pretty nice also!

took an assortment of muzzleloaders to a community yard sale.
two TC's, one cva mountain rifle, an investarms, and my restocked Zulu shotgun.
also took my plank built .45 SMR with a CM2 stock just to show off and maybe get some build orders.
9 out of 10 lookers passed the commercial guns by and zeroed in on the SMR. mostly the verbal comments that went beyond "nice gun" were comments from women. comments such as ART, graceful, even dreamy!
one woman got incensed when informed it wasn't for sale. its mine.
i feel i have sadly ignored a huge population of potential new muzzleloading converts.
and as the temps approached 100* the view was pretty nice also!

Views deserve pictures. Just sayin.

:)

Latest posts

Back