• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shot and cleaned my smoothbore, messed with a new brass plate Siler lock that will go on one of my guns and pulled out and inspected my new to me 1840’s Belgium SxS. I bought this gun specifically for bird hunting as that was the only game I still pursued with modern equipment.
I have been a dedicated BP only hunter since the middle 1980’s except for birds - now I am all in.
97C74FF9-7E60-4387-8E75-1E9D53E1CE8E.jpeg

Well, I drove 45 miles to a club I joined for their black powder range. I wanted to shoot the woods walk course today. Walked around the truck to pull out my rifle and found I left it in my shop at home!😡
Drove 45 miles home rather disgusted with myself. Enroute I called a buddy who took his wife to the ER yesterday to see how she was doing. It dawned on me that she wishes forgetting a rifle was her only problem. In a little better frame of mind, I got my rifle and drove to my range 3 miles from home and shot for an hour and half. Life is good!

My wife suggested I make a list. I could see a list for ear protection or staple gun something like that. But your rifle! How do you forget a rifle! Lol

Today I ordered a Traditions Kentucky percussion Kit. I can't afford anything better so I'll just do the best I can with this kit.
Never apologize for frugality.

It's something our government should teach in school.

But they'd rather have the unwashed masses addicted to credit cards while keeping up with the Jones'.

I got the Woodsrunner hammer separated from the lockplate. I degreased the plate, cock, screw and top jaw. The first coating went on mottled and did not look good on the sideplate and hammer. The screw on the other hand, not being a casting, came out great. I had to step away and not get frustrated. An hour later I took some steel wool to the parts and tried again. This time was charmed and I got a nice even coating on the parts. I will try another coat tomorrow just for effect after another steel wool rubbing. The more I go the more I learn that I don't know what I am doing, so this is still, even at my age, a learning process.

The Doc is out and happier now. :cool:

Soldered on a front sight on my 58 smooth rifle. The next step is to install the rear sight so I can put the beast together and see if I got the front sight close for windage. I won't clean it up until I test fire in case I have to heat it up and move it. The sight is a re-purposed barrel lug for a round barrel. The jig is a quick and easy one made from a hacksaw blade.

IMG_6433.JPG

Soldered on a front sight on my 58 smooth rifle. The next step is to install the rear sight so I can put the beast together and see if I got the front sight close for windage. I won't clean it up until I test fire in case I have to heat it up and move it. The sight is a re-purposed barrel lug for a round barrel. The jig is a quick and easy one made from a hacksaw blade.

View attachment 244559
The Crisco kid! I love it😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😉

The Crisco kid! I love it😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😉
I won this 12 bore double for £156 at holts auction just for the pair of locks , but fiddling with the dremmil it’s just fine rust everywhere , barrels. Bit thin at muzzle. I am mentally messed up , should I clean the gun up and hang it on the wall or use the locks as intended on another project with very good barrels I hoped the spare barrels would fit the 12b. But just too wide. Should have bought a rusty 10 bore ha h

Attachments

• 5D33A87A-31B6-4895-87E1-E43A5B51EA80.jpeg
    5D33A87A-31B6-4895-87E1-E43A5B51EA80.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 604CD246-B1B8-4091-A784-A9AD181D27D2.jpeg
    604CD246-B1B8-4091-A784-A9AD181D27D2.jpeg
    689.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 090972DA-8D53-4062-B2C0-919D807E2C08.jpeg
    090972DA-8D53-4062-B2C0-919D807E2C08.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 04184532-D0E8-4821-8971-4FFB6E32BDE4.jpeg
    04184532-D0E8-4821-8971-4FFB6E32BDE4.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Got up and left the house at 3:47 AM for the 3 hour drive to Jacksonville, Fla. Gateway Rifle and Pistol Range to shoot BP with the Treaty Oaks MZ Club. Shooting starts at 8 AM, getting there by 7:15 gives time to BS, pick up targets and target stands. Very disciplined, we shoot 5 targets with rifles, 1-100yds, 2-50yds, 2-25 yds, then 1 pistol target at 25yds. Usually finish by 10:45 AM. Ribbons for individual and total scores then handed out while fellow shooters cheer and jeer. A Great group of people. It’s worth the the 3 hour drive both ways.

Last edited:
Backed out of the garage to head up to another day of shooting at the Colorado State Muzzle Loading Association Colorado State Muzzle Loading Association spotted a puddle on the garage floor!! Transmission fluid!! Change of plans for the day!!

But, had an immensely enjoyable time yesterday shooting the "Legacy Match" (age 75 or older so I'm in at 77 😀 ). I landed about dead center middle of the pack. Coulda done better if.......... Nah, I did as good as possible. 🤣 Was thoroughly whipped by a 90 year old and not even close to an 87 year old. o_O
20230812_111852_copy_600x450.jpg
20230812_111554_copy_600x800.jpg
20230812_111622_copy_600x800.jpg
20230812_111508_copy_600x800.jpg
20230812_111502_copy_600x450.jpg

I shot my Kibler 45 SMR this morning. Shot 15 rounds using 60 grains of my last can of 3f GOEX,
18 thousandths ticking strip, spit patch, .435 lead round ball. The balls were cast from lead drain pipe I removed from a bathroom remodel. The mold is marked 440 Lyman single cavity. The rifle had no klatches or pan flashes. I'm very happy with Kibler's quality.

Seen something that I never seen before. Seen guys hammering a short starter to start there balls. A few guys did it. They shot great. Never seen it before though.

It's effective if the crown is clean. I did it in many matches especially when shooting Dutch's "dry patch" system. Pretty much got away from it and leaned toward loading as I would in the field hunting etc. I think I can eak out a little better score with the hammer method but I'm mostly a hunter.

It's effective if the crown is clean. I did it in many matches especially when shooting Dutch's "dry patch" system. Pretty much got away from it and leaned toward loading as I would in the field hunting etc. I think I can eak out a little better score with the hammer method but I'm mostly a hunter.
Thanks for the reply. My guess was for accuracy but didn't know. The whole time I was thinking that doing that for your hunting muzzleloader would be a pain.

Latest posts

Back