• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SpringViseW.jpg

Partially finished my mainspring vise.

I will skinny it up some and add tapped holes as needed.

It works very nicely.

Today I met the UPS driver in the driveway. I was excited to see a long cardboard box from Jim Chambers Flintlocks. I knew it was coming from an email yesterday. I’m thinking Barbie and team must have boxed it up first thing after returning from Friendship.
Got the box open for inspection to find a beautiful piece of upgraded maple, and Jim’s usual great castings of brass and the round face lock of a PA Fowler. The 62 cal smoothie Rice barrel looks great. Everything was as promised. Another great experience with JC Flintlocks.
I will put this one aside as I am just shy of being in the white with my Mark Silver. Lots of work still to go.
Thank you, Barbie, Jim and crew for a great product that will keep me busy, make me happy, and give my kids something to look at decades from now.
Rick

That concept is a curiosity to me. I've heard it said about patched round balls and conicals of various calibers and Various reasons. Inquiring minds and all that. Wonder how it could be tested?
It is curious. I’ve heard that too but not a good reason for it. Maybe a larger bore rifle needs a heavier powder load to properly flare the mine’ skirt. I’d like to know.

It is curious. I’ve heard that too but not a good reason for it. Maybe a larger bore rifle needs a heavier powder load to properly flare the mine’ skirt. I’d like to know.
I plan on using some fg bp or maybe even lean a little towards blasting powder to get a slightly slower pop but it will be curious to see if it works.

Cut, drilled and cleaned up an antler tip that’ll measure 50 grains….

Made a lanyard to hang the measure and primer flask from.

Pic of the partially done flint wallet. Going to wait until I have a screwdriver I want to add to the “kit” before placing that pocket.

Made a vent pick from a piece of curly maple and a saddle stitching needle.

IMG_4067.jpeg

Pic of the partially done flint wallet. Going to wait until I have a screwdriver I want to add to the “kit” before placing that pocket.

View attachment 228639
ooh. I like your vent pick idea. If I may, I will plagiarise your excellent idea and make myself a nipple pick.
Thanks for posting.

Pete

Samson Historical has the large and small thumb folding knives. These are 18th style with no nail nick with the extension that you press down with your thumb to hold the blade open. I bought small one. It arrived yesterday and the wood handle is very nice. What I didn't like was the blade was kind of sloppy in the slot and would open too easily and wiggle back and forth. I was afraid the blade wouId too easily fold down with use and cut me. So ... I gently tapped the brass rivet a couple of times to tighten the blade and to be careful I didn't break the wood the blade notch sets in. After a couple of tries, the blade is much better. It doesn't open unless I open it, and the blade isn't going to easily fold down and cut me with use. Looks like this will be a nice little knife to have in my shooting pouch.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Attachments

• thumb folder.JPG
    thumb folder.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

View attachment 228639
Looking good 👍

I started carving in a line on the front left of the stock. It's a lot harder than it looks in videos. I think I will make one of those gouge devices like TDM made to assist in making the line.
I did find the compasses my father used in drafting long, long ago, but they both take large pencil leads. I had to cut apart a no. 2 pencil to get lead for one of them. I found the other still had lead in it and pushed it out to be able to use it. at least I now have a good radius for the tang carving now. I still have to draw a design. I also got to page 40 of this thread today.

The Doc is out now. 😎

Back