• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My neighbor came up and helped me christen the Tennessee Mountain .45
after filing 1/32 off front sight, it was still 1 1/2 " low. it was so much fun, we forgot to file any more and just held high. windage was right on.
always makes me happy when he shoots one of my builds. He doesn't see all the faults!
got the package of pistol parts and fitted the breech plug on one barrel. oct to wedding ring then swamped round to muzzle. this one will test me.

Attachments

• 20220318_191757.jpg
    20220318_191757.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
I couldn't find the post on here that mentioned this, but it's such a simple approach to overcoming hammer flinch. Yesterday evening I got out the hatchet and chopped some chips off a white oak log. Shaped one into a flint size and installed it in the lock of my .45 CVA. Now I can practice endless dry fire until the hammer fall flinch disappears. (I picked up a nasty flinch back when old guys thought it was funny to have a kid fire a 12-guage as his intro into guns). Thank you to whoever made the oak chip post.

Attachments

• IMG_0940.JPG
    IMG_0940.JPG
    184.9 KB · Views: 18
I couldn't find the post on here that mentioned this, but it's such a simple approach to overcoming hammer flinch. Yesterday evening I got out the hatchet and chopped some chips off a white oak log. Shaped one into a flint size and installed it in the lock of my .45 CVA. Now I can practice endless dry fire until the hammer fall flinch disappears. (I picked up a nasty flinch back when old guys thought it was funny to have a kid fire a 12-guage as his intro into guns). Thank you to whoever made the oak chip post.
Thanks for reminding me of this. I will put a wood flint in after I clean my lock now

What did I do in muzzleloading? I put the finishing touches on this-

Want to see the rest? It's in its own thread.
IMG_20220319_143708.jpg

Got a Cap cup - Its for my Stainless barrel I’ll get next week….as I’ll have a Peep sight not far from the cap and want to keep it clean. Maybe this will help.

Attachments

• 14667A99-ADCD-445F-84B9-86AA441424EC.jpeg
    14667A99-ADCD-445F-84B9-86AA441424EC.jpeg
    64.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 320FDF32-D25B-4415-8B6F-4A160F873906.jpeg
    320FDF32-D25B-4415-8B6F-4A160F873906.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Went to a gun show with my two oldest boys. Took my 32 cal Pedersoli Kentucky flintlock with hopes of selling it. No luck.

Somedays there are not enough sware words. I rarely shoot caplocks anymore, usually only a couple times per year. My cleaning process usually involves breaking a tooth pick in half and putting it in the nipple, so the barrel can be soaked for a few minutes before scrubbing. This time the tooth pick was leaking, so I used the hammer to push to tooth pick in a little farther in to the nipple except it broke off. Yes, stupid mistake...I know. Removed the nipple and tried to push it back out using a needle with no luck, then a tip cleaner for the Oxygen / Acetylene torch still no luck, finally got out the old pin drill. The tooth pick came out little drill chips at a time. Likely not worth the labor to mess with it, but I'm somewhat stubborn and extremely cheap...not willing to make the purchase, pay shipping and taxes since there are no local muzzleloader shops.

20220319_183304.jpg

Last edited:
Somedays there are not enough sware words. I rarely shoot caplocks anymore, usually only a couple times per year. My cleaning process usually involves breaking a tooth pick in half and putting it in the nipple, so the barrel can be soaked for a few minutes before scrubbing. This time the tooth pick was leaking, so I used the hammer to push to tooth pick in a little farther in to the nipple except it broke off. Yes, stupid mistake...I know. Removed the nipple and tried to push it back out using a needle with no luck, then a tip cleaner for the Oxygen / Acetylene torch still no luck, finally got out the old pin drill. The tooth pick came out little drill chips at a time. Likely not worth the labor to mess with it, but I'm somewhat stubborn and extremely cheap...not willing to make the purchase, pay shipping and taxes since there are no local muzzleloader shops.

View attachment 129183
You sound Scottish, I can relate

I went and shot some turkey targets and confirmed that my Pedersoli is good to 20 yds on the modified barrel and 15 yds on the IC barrel. Wind was terrible and made it hard to keep my targets in place.

Back