• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
forged a simple screw driver
Schraubendreher-Bild3.jpg

Holy Moly !! .... I FINALLY received in the mail my .54 Pedersoli frontier flintlock rifle after 3 months of waiting. There were a bunch of SNAFU's by both the Yonkers post office and the sender. I actually was beginning to feel like I had been scammed and would never see the rifle and lost my money. The rifle barrel had the factory browning removed at some time in the past and was left in the white. The ramrod was broken, reglued and broke again when I examined it. The Pedersoli ramrods are 25/64's and the spare one I have is 3/8's so some sanding is in order to get it to fit the ramrod thimbles. I'll leave a larger flare on the ball pushing end as I think that wider flare at the end of the ramrod looks nice. I'll remove the brass 10/32'd threaded end from the broken ramrod and install that on the new ramrod. I am pleased with the lighter weight of the .54 rifle. A pleasant rifle to hold. The buckhorn sights that come on that rifle are just terrible so I ordered a proper high rifle sight (.500) from the Log Cabin Shop. That sight will be installed on the rifle. Being it is an extra high sight, I can file down the rear sight during sighting in. I'm looking forward to widening the slot in the rear sight to make the front sight more clear. I need white space in the rear slot to see the front sight due to older eyes. I'm Looking forward to shooting the rifle. A .520 round ball and a .016 pillow ticking patch seems to be a good combination using a short starter. The sender covered the rifle in thick wool socks to protect the rifle in shipment. The Middle sock had the toe removed. I'll shorten the wool sock a bit, grease the wool sock to make it water resistant and use the sock as a type of cows knee. When shooting time comes, I'll slide the wool sock backwards off the lock and over the rear stock.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Attachments

• gun 54.JPG
    gun 54.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • gun lock.JPG
    gun lock.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • gunsocks.JPG
    gunsocks.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 0
Holy Moly !! .... I FINALLY received in the mail my .54 Pedersoli frontier flintlock rifle after 3 months of waiting. There were a bunch of SNAFU's by both the Yonkers post office and the sender. I actually was beginning to feel like I had been scammed and would never see the rifle and lost my money. The rifle barrel had the factory browning removed at some time in the past and was left in the white. The ramrod was broken, reglued and broke again when I examined it. The Pedersoli ramrods are 25/64's and the spare one I have is 3/8's so some sanding is in order to get it to fit the ramrod thimbles. I'll leave a larger flare on the ball pushing end as I think that wider flare at the end of the ramrod looks nice. I'll remove the brass 10/32'd threaded end from the broken ramrod and install that on the new ramrod. I am pleased with the lighter weight of the .54 rifle. A pleasant rifle to hold. The buckhorn sights that come on that rifle are just terrible so I ordered a proper high rifle sight (.500) from the Log Cabin Shop. That sight will be installed on the rifle. Being it is an extra high sight, I can file down the rear sight during sighting in. I'm looking forward to widening the slot in the rear sight to make the front sight more clear. I need white space in the rear slot to see the front sight due to older eyes. I'm Looking forward to shooting the rifle. A .520 round ball and a .016 pillow ticking patch seems to be a good combination using a short starter. The sender covered the rifle in thick wool socks to protect the rifle in shipment. The Middle sock had the toe removed. I'll shorten the wool sock a bit, grease the wool sock to make it water resistant and use the sock as a type of cows knee. When shooting time comes, I'll slide the wool sock backwards off the lock and over the rear stock.
Ohio Rusty ><>
Track and Dixie both sell that ramrod. They list it as .355 or 9mm. That odd size is a Pedersoli thing.

Edit-- I see you already have a ramrod. I should slow my reading down!

Last edited:
Hit the flea market today and picked up a few files. This one was a USA made Black Diamond, one of my favorites. It looked like someone tried to file solder filling in the teeth with solder. For a buck, I couldn't refuse it. This evening I used my sharp pointy object to clean out both sides, each tooth of solder and rust. After I finished, I checked it for sharpness and it cut extremely well. Another fine file to add to my knife making files. These good USA made files are getting harder to find as the market is flooded with less than desireable files from China, Mexico, India and other parts of the world that just don't hold up well.

file 1.jpg

Attachments

• file 2.jpg
    file 2.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 0
Hit the flea market today and picked up a few files. This one was a USA made Black Diamond, one of my favorites. It looked like someone tried to file solder filling in the teeth with solder. For a buck, I couldn't refuse it. This evening I used my sharp pointy object to clean out both sides, each tooth of solder and rust. After I finished, I checked it for sharpness and it cut extremely well. Another fine file to add to my knife making files. These good USA made files are getting harder to find as the market is flooded with less than desireable files from China, Mexico, India and other parts of the world that just don't hold up well.

View attachment 223124
Good, old, USA files are my favorite thing to find when out antiquing. They’re cheap and work great!

I shot the monthly Townsville Muzzle Loading competition on Sunday - traditional sights only at 50 metres with patched roundball. Three sets of targets, scoring 89, 81 and 91.3. I was very happy with the outcome. Two of our finest shot better, with 12 points in the overall total between first and third. The weather was stunning and the company of likeminded fellas, excellent.

Our shoot captain has organised a night shoot for early June, that'll be a hoot for sure. I'll try to take some images to share.

Pete

It’s a cold London day. So went for it sketching out my stock design for my 8 bore ml. Using my cape rifle as a guide . The 8 bore with a badly split stock and rusty iron cost me £156 at auction and the slab of English walnut £56 EBay uk It’s a nice lock and the barrel bore not bad for 1860. It was supposed to be a winter project 🤪🤪🤪. Enjoy and love from uk

Attachments

• 973F99F8-89D1-42CA-B5B7-CDA9D0667574.jpeg
    973F99F8-89D1-42CA-B5B7-CDA9D0667574.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 06E3A1C1-E7EB-4DF8-9A07-939E8FB7295F.jpeg
    06E3A1C1-E7EB-4DF8-9A07-939E8FB7295F.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 4688D3D1-0ACE-4899-8FEC-6A769A853F25.jpeg
    4688D3D1-0ACE-4899-8FEC-6A769A853F25.jpeg
  • F9E78B1F-2330-426C-B83D-03933EB96086.jpeg
    F9E78B1F-2330-426C-B83D-03933EB96086.jpeg
    950.8 KB · Views: 3
  • E075A54E-F358-42AE-A715-00BA2FE14770.jpeg
    E075A54E-F358-42AE-A715-00BA2FE14770.jpeg
    897.2 KB · Views: 0
  • EA450B01-3C06-48F2-817A-A4F1A461831C.jpeg
    EA450B01-3C06-48F2-817A-A4F1A461831C.jpeg
Spent the last two days out hunting squirrels with my .32 Crockett Squirrel Rifle. First day I got rained out early. Was only able to get two squirrels before the rain let loose. Yesterday resulted in only one squirrel before the wind picked up to the degree that it was difficult to even find a squirrel. So that was the end of the first two days of early season squirrel season. Hope to go back later this week IF this dang wind will every stop blowing here.

One thing of note. I ordered a Tom A Hawks peep sight for my Crockett Rifle. And I must say, that for older eyes, it makes all the difference in the world. Combined with a taller front bead, yet thinner diameter made of small fiber optic, its a match made in heaven for this ole boy.

At a yard sale last weekend I found a cement floater with a nice handle for 50 cents. I discarded the wooden floater part and mounted the handle on that wide metal bristle brush to clean off forge scale at the forge. The wires have a tendency to turn up and poke your hands. The handle fixes that. I wish I had 10 more of those handles !!
I cleaned up my Dyer moccasins with saddle soap and will give them a coat of the Lexol to keep the leather soft and pliable. Being retired with little extra money, I need to keep my moccasins and other period goods in tip-top shape so they last a long time. There isn't a whole lot of extra $$$ to replace things. Better to do maintenance on everything to keep enjoying it every year.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Attachments

• mocs.JPG
    mocs.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I finished reaming the old traditions barrel today. From a rusty .45 to a .50. I stopped at .499 and will lap it before rifling. Had trouble with the hacksaw blade reamer, copper iron to solder must have been too hot. I made a new cutter out of a piece of tool steel and screwed it on with 9 flat head screws before I hardened and tempered it. It worked fine. Had to keep adding paper shims until I coud not see straight. Cranking on that brake disk gave me a workout.

Back