• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
applied another coat of LMF browning solution to the GM .54 barrel. this is coating number 4. almost done.
20230402_092444.jpg

Looks really nice. I've never tried that brand yet. Got two barrels on the list to get browned.
i have tried many solutions and like the Laurel Mountain Forge the best.
one nice thing about it is you can boil the barrel in distilled water after all the browning process and before the oiling, and get a nice blue/black finish.
i am partial to the brown.

Finished up a bit of fettling on a basic Belgian single shot target pistol that I picked up in auction about a year ago, work involved fitting an oversize 1/4 x 28 tpi nipple from TOW and bending the hammer slightly to strike it squarely. I'm hoping to take it for a test shoot this week, if it shoots okay it might be one to put on my FAC?

My old shooting partner is down from a stroke and he gifted me his old range box and all his spare parts. Been rummaging through all this stuff and I can sure tell it came from a man that loved muzzleloading and working with his hands. His nickname is Quickdraw, he was a wizard with leather and ML rifles. There is a good chance some of you guys have ran into him in the past. In the near future I will be asking advice from you guys because he wants me to use those parts to build a rifle.

My old shooting partner is down from a stroke and he gifted me his old range box and all his spare parts. Been rummaging through all this stuff and I can sure tell it came from a man that loved muzzleloading and working with his hands. His nickname is Quickdraw, he was a wizard with leather and ML rifles. There is a good chance some of you guys have ran into him in the past. In the near future I will be asking advice from you guys because he wants me to use those parts to build a rifle.
too bad there’s no care emoji. Sending thoughts and prayers for your friend.
1680465193656.jpeg

To start my 1851Navy is convertible from C&B to the .38 Colt cartridge. I have not shot it as percussion gun for some time because of shooting and zeroing another Navy and this one as an unmentionable.
It is a new Taylor London model Uberti all blue steel and is a very handsome. revolver.
It had some problems including the ubiquitous Uberti short arbor all of which the smith fixed.
The load was 17 grains of GOEX FFFg, a 1/4" felt lubed wad (more on this later) and a TOW .375" ball. because my home cast supply was exhausted.
Long story short the first 15 rounds made a satisfactory group a bit low but on center line except for three called shots.
I won't go into what those shots that did not group were called.
The last five rounds gave three failures to fire. The three were recapped and one fired two did not. Those two ere recapped with caps from a fresh tin of Remington #10 (ouch!) caps and one fired one did not.
At this point it was time too quit and an attempt to pull the ball was made but with no luck. Now here comes the fun part. A good TOW wrench would not go on the nipple. I did get the nipple out don't ask how.
It appeared the tip of the cone was too big to go into the wrench. I believe the nipple was was unhardened and so soft even with the cap in place the tip as damaged.
The percussion cylinder has been shot less that 50 times but was enough to peen the cone tip and shorten it so the hammer could not strike the cap.
After all that shooting it was a four patch cleaning job possibly from the lube in the wad and that big size wad acting as a bore snake.
A good days shooting
I am told God does not deduct form man's time on earth the days spent shooting.
At 92 going on 93 and a life time shooter...possibly?
Respectfully submitted
Bunk

u

Actually was yesterday and forgot to post. I opened up the loading port and reworked the plunger of my Pietta 1860 Army to accept conicals. I still need to remove just a little more to make loading easier. My nitrated coffee filter paper cartridges worked flawlessly.
View attachment 211744View attachment 211745
very nice. The lines of the 1860 and 1861 are the best looking hand guns ever'
I like my 1851's but the 60 and 61 are just beautiful.

I take it the airplane hasn't flown in some while. Did the "something useful" have occupants?
No, Been a while. I took it apart fall of 98 for a "one winter recover job"....what can I say, life happens. I guess that's why I'm more of a muzzleloader guy than a rapid fire guy. Luckily the nest was unoccupied. Pulled it down this morning and filed it with my shooting supplies.

No, Been a while. I took it apart fall of 98 for a "one winter recover job"....what can I say, life happens. I guess that's why I'm more of a muzzleloader guy than a rapid fire guy. Luckily the nest was unoccupied. Pulled it down this morning and filed it with my shooting supplies.
Just be aware that the occupants sometimes come alive when they warm up!

One of our deer hunters left me a bald-faced hornet nest in the barn last fall. Trying to decide whether to save it for display or chop it up for wadding. Warmer weather will determine its fate - should former residents decide to reclaim squatters' rights, uh .... neither plan "A" nor "B".
toss it in a garbage bag with a rag soaked in starter fluid. when you remember it in the spring the buggies will be desiccated. dip them in chocolate and pass them out at Rondy!

Just be aware that the occupants sometimes come alive when they warm up!
Hopefully I'm okay. The shop was heated all day and there didn't seem to be any life when I took it down and looked in it. Sealed it in a ziplock before I took it in the house just to be sure. Great advice...they can be feisty little buggers.

Latest posts

Back