• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ringing steel off hand 50 yds. My Frontier .50 affectionately known as Widowmaker. .495 balls today. Goex 2fg 60 gr. 30F with a wind. Darn cold.
4275BAA1-E019-4BFE-9D89-F3E89220451C.jpeg3199A99F-C98C-4F2C-8642-F1491E94AAC6.jpeg

Went hunting again this morning. I swear I’m having the worst luck this season. I’m seeing deer, but I can’t get it all to come together. That’s ok though because I’m having a good time.

I accomplished quite a bit today.

Took a spike buck on Friday morning at 7:18 am, first season here in Illinois, was going to let him pass, but he stood right in front of me for over 10 minutes. Figured if the Good Lord was going to set meat in front of me for such a lengthy time, who am I to deny taking it!?! Today, I cut the skull cap to keep the antlers for some sort of future project.

Finished a Golden Age Arms conversion from caplock to flintlock. It had a Russ Hamm caplock and I finally found a flintlock to fit just over the mortise a couple weeks ago, took my time inletting the lock over the last few evenings. Today just needed to cut down the lock screws and install a brass tip on the other end of the ramrod. I was able to set the front screw much higher on the new lock, just touching the barrel, which allowed for the ramrod to push in a fair amount farther into the hole.

Golden Age Arms.jpg

Assembled a couple of T/C locks after previously removing parts for another project, a cut down Renegade blanket gun.

Made an interesting discover while tinkering with the locks. I knew there were to different spring guides (one thick & one thin), however they are specific to the lock design and if the thick one is installed in the wrong lock (lock on the right) it will not allow the lock to cock fully before making contact with the spot facing of the lock bolt.

TC locks.jpg
Spring guide.jpg

Visited my son & daughter in law, brought the BP firearms. shown here, his first time shooting the TC Hawken .45 cal Flint Lock. We had a blast way different for him from the typical AR15's style rifles. He's actually taking a liking to the BP muzzleloaders

Attachments

• My Movie 23.mp4
    10.6 MB
Been gathering bits for this Norwich Springfield Model 1863 for awhile now. The stock is from Numrich Arms and the barrel is aftermarket from S&S Firearms and everything else is original parts.
IMG_4270.jpg

Spent some time at the range Sunday, working on 100yds

Attachments

• 052CF8F6-74BE-4918-8F45-AAB0651CEF42.jpeg
    052CF8F6-74BE-4918-8F45-AAB0651CEF42.jpeg
    98.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 4346872C-E137-4206-AC62-1911090789A5.jpeg
    4346872C-E137-4206-AC62-1911090789A5.jpeg
    198.4 KB · Views: 33
Got started on my next Kibler Colonial (#7). I had a great nine blissful hours in the shop! I finished up carving the patch box, got the butt plate and toe plate on and worked on some of the carving behind the cheek rest and the bottom groove. I am going with a little "Folk Art" flavor on this one.

Attachments

• 7 d.jpg
    7 d.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 7 c.jpg
    7 c.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 39
fitted a butt plate to my smr stock. sanded the whole thing with heavy grit to get beneath the 30 years of barn grime.
sanded it again with medium grit to get rid of the heavy grit marks.
ate lunch, and sanded the stock again with fine grit paper to get rid of the medium grit marks. took a hand full of otc pain pills and am thinking about hitting it again with extra fine 320 grit. or not. have to feather it first anyway.

how much does a stock cost? if you don't mind me asking.
Well now.. I'm not finding any listed at all now. It was on sale last year for I believe, 179 but I had to wait almost 4 months to get it because they were closed due to Covid. It may have been on sale because they were dumping off remaining inventory because no matter how I type it into their search box nothing comes up.

Back