• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got disappointed with my Thompson Center Hawken again today.
6041526E-6C54-47E6-8283-68D128E577B3.jpeg

I bought this rifle used several years ago and have never been able to shoot it accurately. I’ve tried every combination of powder/patch/lube/bullet known to modern man and nothing works for me in this gun. At 25 yards the best I can do is about a two inch group. At 50 yards it’s anybody’s guess what’s gonna happen.

After many years of frustrated shooting sessions I think there are two problems with this gun. One is the funky trigger guard. I can never get a grip that feels right and changing my grip also changes where the butt stock ends up. Since it’s crescent shaped I put it in the area between bicep and tricep like my other guns with crescent shaped stocks but the sights never line up right.

And that’s the other thing. Even though the rear sight is fully adjustable, it’s as wide as a hog trough. The round front sight looks as big as a basketball and I can never seem to line it up evenly like I can the blade sight on other guns.
1C4C0C87-1955-4745-AA71-D800A225CE67.jpeg
4023F55C-829C-4E98-B2B6-84BC9310EEEB.jpeg

I could change the sights and trigger guard but not sure if it’s worth the trouble.

Prepared my T/C Hawken, .45 calibre, for use at the rifle range tomorrow. My R/P club sponsors a day just for the ladies. Women On Target, an NRA program gives the ladies a chance to get hands-on live training fire with all manner of firearms, including muzzle loaders. A good friend and I show the women how much fun black powder firearms can be.
We have been doing this type of instruction for several years. After the event is over and during clean-up of the range, we get feedback from the event coordinator. Not surprisingly, it seems that the women declare that the black powder portion was the most fun.

Got disappointed with my Thompson Center Hawken again today.View attachment 87450
I bought this rifle used several years ago and have never been able to shoot it accurately. I’ve tried every combination of powder/patch/lube/bullet known to modern man and nothing works for me in this gun. At 25 yards the best I can do is about a two inch group. At 50 yards it’s anybody’s guess what’s gonna happen.

After many years of frustrated shooting sessions I think there are two problems with this gun. One is the funky trigger guard. I can never get a grip that feels right and changing my grip also changes where the butt stock ends up. Since it’s crescent shaped I put it in the area between bicep and tricep like my other guns with crescent shaped stocks but the sights never line up right.

And that’s the other thing. Even though the rear sight is fully adjustable, it’s as wide as a hog trough. The round front sight looks as big as a basketball and I can never seem to line it up evenly like I can the blade sight on other guns.View attachment 87452View attachment 87453
I could change the sights and trigger guard but not sure if it’s worth the trouble.
If you are too much disappointed with your T/C, put it up for sale. I'm sure someone here on the forum will gladly take it off your hands.

No doubt that someone would buy this Hawken. I have other guns that didn’t cost as much but are absolute tack drivers. I might decide to try to trade it for a flintlock someday. I prefer flintlocks anyway.

I made some paper cartridges for my Brown Bess musket from a kit I bought from Jefferson Arsenal. I was going to try shooting them tomorrow, but it is so dry at my local range that those paper cartridges are too much of a fire hazard.

Attachments

• 20210728_181241.jpg
    20210728_181241.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 68
Walked into a gunshop and a 54 cal TC (Renegade) I think followed me home. Rifle looks unfired, has a double trigger with black furniture and no patchbox so I guess it is a Renegade.

Last edited:
I have a 54 cal TC Hawkin that I didn't like the curved buttstock, didn't fit right. I took the crescent butt plate off and ground and sanded the butt flat and screwed an old plastic shotgun butt plate on the gun and trimmed it a little so it looked good. No more problem with them pesky pointed butt plate problems with that gun.
Been that way for 32 years.

I took my .45 rocklock out to the range for some exercise. Loaded with ffg rather than fffg, it shoots consistently, and I can ring the 5" gong at 100 yards when I can see it.

I completed the final fitting of the lock on an India Pattern Bess that I'm restocking. It's a repro I bought from a former re-enactor. Shoots great, but the tropical hardwood stock it came with bugged me. I picked up a nice walnut blank several years ago and I'm finally getting around to rebuilding the musket with the proper wood. So far so good.

Molding more of those classic styled fifty bore minies.
The rear lube groove is less deep than the others; good design.

Getting prepared to tomorrow for another round of instruction at Camp Raven Knob. Loading ammo, packing guns, gathering target materials
I took our troop (528) to Raven Knob in 2018. It was awesome, even if everything IS uphill both ways! My son and I actually climbed the knob. Wasn’t sure my fat ol’ butt was going to make it...
Jay

Attachments

• 4B3239BA-1957-4892-B0BF-534EE27D9C94.jpeg
    4B3239BA-1957-4892-B0BF-534EE27D9C94.jpeg
    187.3 KB · Views: 75
Since the previous thread was shut down (locked) by our new moderator, I thought I would start one up again, as per the suggestion.
So, let's get this thread going again, and share your muzzleloading related adventures of the day!
Worked on the lock to Pedersoli Shotgun. Read some threads on ML forums (Commented on a couple).

Kansas............Now the leather butt plate is very interesting. Anyone questioning correctness will be challenged by the question , " When the leather rotted off , and the tacks are pulled out , the settler/frontiersman , did he just keep using the gun as it is?" Yup! Good job on the engineering , Gotta love practical solutions......................oldwood

Processing some old x ray shielding, might take the .36 frontier rifle out this afternoon.

Attachments

• 20210731_115340.jpg
    20210731_115340.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 20210731_130511.jpg
    20210731_130511.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 61
I went through all of my powder supply and vacuum sealed most of it in individual packs and packed it in a heavy duty plastic storage box and stored in an outside shed. Trying to keep minimal amount in my shop in case of fire

Latest posts

Back