• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my Christmas present to myself was two perfect shots on the steel at about 35 yards with the trapper. arctic cold out there so two shots was enough ;) Still havent cleaned her for real in about 3 weeks. just a quick swab and wipe down with bore butter and two to six shots a day. . I suspect the cold dry temps are a considerable plus in this method being reliable. Merry Christmas everyone. 
IMG_4622.jpg

My friend gave me an old traditions his late dad had. .45 cal. Rusted head to toe. The bore is a mess and I don't know if it will clean up good enough. Might be a fence post!

It has warmed up to six degrees as of this morning. I swear I saw a woolly mammoth out there at the edge of the property before the sun came up. Might just take a .54 out there and look for tracks later on. Anybody recommend a load for wooly mammoths? I think mammoth hide would make for some good possibles bags.
Several hundred

That's a pretty funny and solid pistol, I found one old (Dikar 1976) in parts the two weeks ago, and I'm going to transform it into a flintlock I've all that I need in my gadgets shop...
Have a lot of fun with this. 😉

Man, I was hoping for a small sample of mammoth tallow to try in my new lube recipe…
Y'now, that might actually be available... at a price. There are frozen mammoth carcasses in Siberia that get dug up from the permafrost regularly. You can buy mammoth ivory at relatively reasonable prices. As they are extinct and not endangered, there are no silly laws to "protect" them on the books. Then there is always the possibility of cloning a herd some day.

A Very Merry Christmas to all ,
Celebrated by putting down range 15/15 rounds with the convertible '51 Navy. half percussion half unmentionable.
The prototype front sight, which is a bent strip of copper masking taped to the barrel, groups about about 10" low so rhe tomorrow task is remove it, shorten and cut a bit narrower so as to also check windage. Right now it is wider than what is laughingly called the "rear sight" notch so windage used was the WAG system.
I use 17 grains >< FFFg, an RWS 1075 cap, and an Eras Gone Colt Cartridge Works bullet.
Used up the last lube wads so punch out more and continue shooting.
Had some paper cartridge trouble but possibly have the answer.
Warmed up to 45 and am shooting out of my shop so no wind and not bad.
Held center
Hit IT!
How 'bout that?
A fun day
Bunk

Took the restored 20ga/.609 flinter out today.

A tenth to two tenth delay from flash to bang. I can certainly live with that.

1.5F Swiss in the bore and 4F Swiss in the pan. Need to find some 2F or 3F for the bore. May speed things up a bit.

Used modern 20ga plastic wads and #6 shot. At 15 yards it was MOS. Minute of Squirrel.

Attachments

• IMG_1858.JPG
    IMG_1858.JPG
    966.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Know I'm going to get flack for this post from all the guys that are traditionalist wood workers , but here goes. My wood working mindset , is accuracy , speed and ease of doing the various tasks on m/l rifle building. To scratch build , I use Dremel type tools , with wood burs , down to dentist bits , 26000 rpm die grinder w/ file bits on it , for shaping stocks from rough , and installing butt plates. I now am excited to have been gifted a new minni battery chainsaw. Oh...for the glory of it!!!!!! Can't wait to get crankin' using the minni chain saw to help shape a stock. Way I see it ,what difference does it matter how I take wood off a blank , as long as it looks perfect ,when done...............oldwood

Know I'm going to get flack for this post from all the guys that are traditionalist wood workers , but here goes. My wood working mindset , is accuracy , speed and ease of doing the various tasks on m/l rifle building. To scratch build , I use Dremel type tools , with wood burs , down to dentist bits , 26000 rpm die grinder w/ file bits on it , for shaping stocks from rough , and installing butt plates. I now am excited to have been gifted a new minni battery chainsaw. Oh...for the glory of it!!!!!! Can't wait to get crankin' using the minni chain saw to help shape a stock. Way I see it ,what difference does it matter how I take wood off a blank , as long as it looks perfect ,when done...............oldwood
Lot of guys overlook the ‘rough’ tools - large and small draw knives, block planes, very coarse rasps, you can remove a lot of wood in a hurry.

old wood. No way i would use a chainsaw for roughing in a stock, they do make really nice wood shaping blades for angle grinders if your using the modern tool method.

Took my .45 and my .36 caliber T/C Patriots out in 3° weather and shot a milk jug and a small plastic bottle. Both targets bled out in the snow drift, but have decided that Patriots are fair-weather shooters if for no other reason than that the shooter is usually shivering. This makes for poor accuracy.

Soon's the dishes are done, I will spend a pleasant hour or so at the sink cleaning a couple of pistols.

Supposed to warm a little above freezing in a few days, so I cast a couple dozen .735 round balls so I can kill a few milk jugs in the back pasture during the work shut-down.

Man, I was hoping for a small sample of mammoth tallow to try in my new lube recipe…
Do you have any idea what that would do to the cloned Mammoth population once word got out about just how freaking perfect a bullet lube could be made with such tallow?

Supposed to warm a little above freezing in a few days, so I cast a couple dozen .735 round balls so I can kill a few milk jugs in the back pasture during the work shut-down.

Do you have any idea what that would do to the cloned Mammoth population once word got out about just how freaking perfect a bullet lube could be made with such tallow?
Well, the first herd of cloned mammoths would cost a couple gajillion dollars US. That'd be awfully expensive tallow. Think of the fun we could all have hunting mammoths with a .720 Hawken rifle though! Hmmm..... good idea for a stovel: Mammoth Hunters of the Apocalypse.

once upon a time long, long ago, i owned and operated a construction company. I loved the finish carpentry side of things. many times i would show up to a job that required some demolishing, i would grab a WEN electric chain saw and announce to the customer, "i am here to do your finish work"!
not sure just where i would use one on a gun build though. roughing a stock from a big plank maybe, i have always regarded a sawzall to be the greatest tool God ever gave to a remodeler, but have never used one of those on a build either!!

Got up at 05:30 and it was 58 deg outside! Worried about frozen pipes most of the week and now its "tropical".
Going to lean how to make paper cartridges as I got a kit for Christmas. Oh and a bunch of targets.

Latest posts

Back