• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finished up a casting session I did not get to complete yesterday. I ran out of propane before I got all I wanted to do done. Swapping in a new bottle I re-commenced to running .530 and .735 balls. The lead was the plumbing seals shown back in post #3447.

went pheasant hunting with my 11ga fowler. hunted and hunted. gave up after 4 hours.
shot my new to me Lyman gpr with the .50 barrel. it likes 80g fff under a prb.
cleaned every thing. slotted the wedges on the Lyman and captured them.
going to go sit and see if i can get a bear this evening. sitting is good.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nFACmpDiExiGyo2L7
Paper-patched some Whitworth bullets. The little offset peeking out at the front edge shows me where the ends meet up without any extra overlap, so there's no extra paper thickness on one side to get the bullet off-axis when it's loaded. Did these in the park in a nice breeze, with a squirrel fussing at some predator. Nice place to sit and jusf tinker with stuff.

Went to the N-SSA National Match last week & just got back today.
2DD90893-1DE3-4348-805B-842CF1091F26.jpeg
FDB9DEEE-18DD-425B-AE75-B50359177051.jpeg

Continued to test some lye wash finish samples for cherry wood for my Kibler build I will be doing soon.

Attachments

• experiment cherry wood finiah 4.jpg
    experiment cherry wood finiah 4.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 0
A couple of years ago I bought a Traditions Deer Hunter flintlock with a synthetic stock🤔. Well let’s face it, a synthetic stock on a flintlock. No. So I called Traditions to maybe order a wood stock. Well they wanted $350! Just for a stock! I can buy a new rifle for that! So today I started to work on making my own out of a piece of oak that I have. So we shall see.

Attachments

• 53AD6B92-2D46-403D-9A73-490CF8535BAE.jpeg
    53AD6B92-2D46-403D-9A73-490CF8535BAE.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
A couple of years ago I bought a Traditions Deer Hunter flintlock with a synthetic stock🤔. Well let’s face it, a synthetic stock on a flintlock. No. So I called Traditions to maybe order a wood stock. Well they wanted $350! Just for a stock! I can buy a new rifle for that! So today I started to work on making my own out of a piece of oak that I have. So we shall see.
Nice! I've always heard that oak was too porous for gun stocks, so I never attempted to use it myself. I hope it turns out nice for you.

I have a Jaeger headed my way - woo hoo! I've ordered all the things for shooting and cleaning that I need. I'm very excited to have it for deer season. I'll have to whip and spur a bit to get a load worked up, but maybe I'll get lucky and it will shoot well with initial loads.

the october pemi valley primitive woods run is comming up in 11 day so I practiced after work
IMG_3853.jpg

Thats my work belt not my competition belt.. Anyways i have a 5" steel plate at 25 yrds in the side yard then I sprint 250m up the hill to the log landing (absolutly kicks my 60yr old butt) and I have a 30m 5" steel up there. pretty good session. 10 shots and 8 hits... My running needs more work than my shooting and my shooting needs work ;) 3 shot group on the 25yrd 5" steel
IMG_3857.jpg

shot this months postal target. still weak from a CVA last week sometime. but i got it done.
stumbled around the flats in the valley below me searching for a suicidal pheasant to oblige but there were very few dumb ones.
loaded with leather over powder wad and same over shot. that grass is waist deep and scary dry. i didn't want to take a chance on a smoldering cotton or fiber wad.

Back