• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well despite the cat here is my 4-H style loading stand. It breaks down into 2 parts for loading into the car by removing 2 bolts no tools needed takes about 2 min to assemble and to disassemble the bolts are left out for pictures

Attachments

• stand2.jpg
    stand2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • stand3.jpg
    stand3.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Cleaned a work spot out in my shop in anticipation of receiving my SMR from Kibler in the next few days and read a lot about using lye on cherry wood. Oh yeah, and stole four bricks from the deconstruction site of my old high school the town is tearing down.

today I visited with an old friend and his wife( she be a friend to)
my friend lives about 120 miles from here. hadn't seen him or her since 2010 when i took them moose hunting.
first thing my friend drag out of his car was a TC Renegade .54 he has had for years. unfired. not even cocked.
ever so slight bumps on the stock from the safe.
i instantly started thinking of ways to separate him from that jewel. chased that devil off my shoulder and proceeded to instruct him in the dark arts.
he has been very ill for a couple years ( he is allergic to direct sunlight for petes sake!) and couldn't even shoot off hand. sat him at my bench deep on the porch and he opened up his very nice Posible's bag. never opened before!
a can of swiss ffg.
a tin of cci mag caps
a beautiful tiger striped patch knife.
hornady swaged balls starting to grow gray beards!
a very nice threeway short starter. round ball head with a stub, 6 inch stem and a reinforced hole to fit the end of the rammer for seating.
he hadn't a clue as to what he had. he had walked into a shop run by a friend of mine and said " outfit me for muzzleloading season".

well, we only fired the Renegade twice each because he was shaking to much and i thought maybe his wife would accuse me of triggering his demise so i could inherit his kit!
from the bench he hit 6 inches high, dead on 12. my shots were offhand and they were right on 9 o'clock with both of mine in the same hole.
when he called to say they were coming up, i asked what he wanted for supper meal. he said he wanted my world infamous grouse.
so yesterday before he got here i shot one.
they left with the promise to be back for late Elk season. i will be praying i see him then. am down to him and my wife as the longest friends.
after they left i went turkey hunting. i wear they can feel the evil intent. i can almost walk among them bare handed. go out with my fowler and they vanish like Houdini.
gave up chasing turkey and went down the mountain to the duck ponds. having no bismuth shot yet keeps me from scaring the ducks and geese, but i threatened them with "just you wait"
coming back i discover an ambitious dam building project in our creek. hope your sleeping well trying to read this rambling epistle.
the second picture is a basin on the bottom of the creek where they excavated mud.
20221005_135717.jpg20221005_135730.jpg

Well despite the cat here is my 4-H style loading stand. It breaks down into 2 parts for loading into the car by removing 2 bolts no tools needed takes about 2 min to assemble and to disassemble the bolts are left out for pictures
Looks nice, thanks for sharing photos.

I SET UP MY WORK BENCH FOR A FRIEND WHO HAS LITTLE EXPERIENCE IN BUILDING A RIFLE. HE HAS A LYMAN GMR .50 CALIBER KIT. WE WILL START THIS AFTERNOON. I DO HAV A CONCERN ABOUT THE KIT. IT ONE OF THE PEDERSOLI’S AND IT LOOKS ROUGH. THERE ARE WHAT LOOKS LIKE CRACKS IN THE WALNUT STOCK. ANY THOUGHTS?

Tried out some new Muzzleloader Originals .015" cotton patches with Precision Lube 2000 Plus. Accuracy was less than I expected. My go to patches are out of stock or not being made anymore. Muzzleloader Originals .018" ticking patch with Precision Lube 2000.

I SET UP MY WORK BENCH FOR A FRIEND WHO HAS LITTLE EXPERIENCE IN BUILDING A RIFLE. HE HAS A LYMAN GMR .50 CALIBER KIT. WE WILL START THIS AFTERNOON. I DO HAV A CONCERN ABOUT THE KIT. IT ONE OF THE PEDERSOLI’S AND IT LOOKS ROUGH. THERE ARE WHAT LOOKS LIKE CRACKS IN THE WALNUT STOCK. ANY THOUGHTS?
Try to post a picture of it so we can have a look.

Today I discharged my .44 1851 and reloaded it after a good cleaning.

Loaded for about 4 years. All shots fired instantly. Group was 8 inches from the two furthest, shot from 20 paces, each in the target circle, each shot a snap shot after letting myself get a minute of distraction, then a quick aim and shoot. This old lady still has it. While it wouldn't win any shooting contest, it would end a villain. :)

Sunny and 75 degrees today so I spent a couple of hours melting and cleaning some lead and cast a few balls. Cast .32, .40, .50, and .58 caliber balls. I haven't cast anything larger than .45 in years, so took me a while to get the routine to fill out the .58 mold so I didn't get to cast too many of them before I had to pack things up. Still have to sort through them and remelt the ones with too many defects!

Going to shoot the October postal target tomrrow with my .32 SMR!

Attachments

• Round balls2.jpg
    Round balls2.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Round balls.jpg
    Round balls.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Casting eqpt.jpg
    Casting eqpt.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 0
While at a meeting in Branson, Missouri, walked down to the Bass Pro Shop (past many "grandma", candy,tourist shops) to check out hunting stuff. THEY HAVE PERCUSSION CAPS. Remington and CCI #10 and #11's was good news. Prices - BAD NEWS - $14.99 for CCI #11's and $13.99 for CCI #10's . Total for two tins of caps - $30.37 ! Bad News..

No primers, some BP substitutes, and a handful of modern M/L's along with a good selection of common caliber M/L projectiles. Sales guy said they just came in yesterday.

Last edited:
chased some turkeys around for an hour. if i could just fly.:doh:
cast a few .600 balls with a bag mold i got in the mail yesterday.
went back out chasing grouse. brought 2 home for lunch. i enjoyed it more then they.
would have had three but somebody got into my bag and stole all my shot! they left the shot pouch but it was empty. dug into the bottom of the bag and found about 220g of loose shot. got the second bird with that!
got home to the shop and found the missing shot on the bench. thieves must have had a change of heart. :oops:

put the shot into my bag.
punched out a good supply of over shot cards. put them in my bag. thieves won't leave me high and dry again.
punched out a supply of over shot wads. soaked them with bear oil and put them with the cards. inside a pill bottle.
using that bear oil i notice a trailing dog behind my from every house on the mountain. plenty of canines and not a brain cell between them that recognizes the rule. "you have to work to eat". not a bird dog among them. i miss my Labs.

went back out chasing grouse. brought 2 home for lunch. i enjoyed it more then they.
would have had three but somebody got into my bag and stole all my shot! they left the shot pouch but it was empty. dug into the bottom of the bag and found about 220g of loose shot. got the second bird with that!
got home to the shop and found the missing shot on the bench. thieves must have had a change of heart. :oops:

punched out a good supply of over shot cards. put them in my bag. thieves won't leave me high and dry again.
punched out a supply of over shot wads. soaked them with bear oil and put them with the cards. inside a pill bottle.
using that bear oil i notice a trailing dog behind my from every house on the mountain. plenty of canines and not a brain cell between them that recognizes the rule. "you have to work to eat". not a bird dog among them. i miss my Labs.
Love our Lab. Sorely miss all the Labs before her.

Did you find my 50 cal GPR barrel on the bench to?? ;-)

Back