• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B81C0B15-81CA-452E-8A45-D4F7973ACC25.jpeg
Another backwoods, primitive creation from mostly scraps.

started to shoot the members monthly shoot. got rained out halfway through. made a vent pick handle from a scrap of the stock i am working on.
did the lay out for the barrel and started inletting. started to work on pistol part 2. discovered the stock has cracked lengthwise between the barrel channel and the rammer channel. going to find a piece of maple. having no luck with the walnut.
awaiting cessation of the wet stuff from the sky so i can finish the 4th of july shooting.
weird weather, the bride just put a throw across her legs. next she will be asking for a fire in the stove. happy 4th of July!

Saturday my two of my grandsons and I shot my .32 at 50 yard gong targets. I think I have them hooked! :thumb:

Today I tried some different loads and patches/lubes in the .45 Kentucky. I didn't find anything earth shattering, but it was fun anyway.

Neighbor showed me a percussion pistol someone had given him, asked me to inspect it for him.
Wasn't in terrible condition, needed a good rubdown with steel wool, and proper oil and lube.
But I also discovered that the barrel was loaded!
Searched all over for my ball-puller, and couldn't find it. But I do keep some dowels around, and several sizes of wood screws. Took a 12" piece of 3/8" dowel, and drilled a center hole in one end. Then I sawed off the head of a #10 screw, and epoxied it into the hole. So now I have a new ball-pulling rig.
Would have been easier with a CO2 discharger!

It was a warm one yesterday, still managed to shoot a lil bit, 40 yds off hand with my "Thumper .54"

IMG_0573.jpg

Then stretched it out a bit, the first shot I put the front sight what I thought was the center... 😆 was high and to the right. The next three however, were lots better. Decided to call it :thumb: for the day!

Right at 90 yds

IMG_0570.jpg

Target edited.jpg

IMG_0572.jpg

That's about 3.5". I was having the dernedest time finding a clear front sight. That silver leaf is not the greatest at giving decent contrast. I took a sharpie to it and that helped. Need to find something to make it permanently black. Sharpie rubs off almost as quick as you put it on.

RM

Took two Ohio - Vincent style rifles up to a private, outdoor range. This could be the last of the opportunities to use this range as the county is going to terminate the lease to the club and build a public range there. It's a shame to close down the range, and therefore the club, after its 60 year existence.
These are the rifles that I shot from one of the rifle houses:
Ohio-Vincent Claro walnut_inPixio.jpg
Walnut Ohio rifle.jpg
3-19-2020 Vincent by Bryner full Rt crp_inPixiomd.jpg
3-19-2020 Vincent by Bryner Rt midstock (3)smmd.JPG

The shape of the butt stock forces the rifle to be held more on the bicep than nestled in the shoulder. As a result, I came home with a hefty bruise on my bicep. That is little price to pay for the fun in shooting the rifles!
Ron

Yep, a fencing tool, one side to hammer in fencing staples and the hook side to pull them out, the notches are for pulling the fencing tight.

This is a gun flint knapping hammer I made from an old file and a tack hammer handle. The file hammered into the log is and anvil of sorts for holding the flint for knapping.

Here is one in action;

knapping rig.JPG

Latest posts

Back