• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just arrived home from 2400 mile road trip back from the 10 day classes at Western Kentucky State university and 4 days at Friendship. At Friendship I spent money like a drunken sailor but found almost every thing on my list for the Hawken . Picked up some Nickle silver sheets, a set of RR Thimbles I may use if my own efforts don't satisfy me and several other small decorative items I'm thinking of embellishing the stock with. Met and had some chat time with Bob Woodfill (author of the new book "The Hawken"). He had a booth and some of his own rifles. They are elegant.

At WKSU I worked 10 days on the new project but in a 30 second moment on the drill press I managed to trash a lock plate AND main spring at the same moment (don't ask 🤢 ). I will NOT make that mistake again. A call to L&R got me replacements. In spite of my diligent attention to detail the butt plate precise alignment eludes me. In another classroom I discovered a unique method of making hinges I did not know about and I was the only one who thought to bring silver solder, which got passed around:thumb: to three classes.

In the Ron Scott class there was a young man (16) Mountain Man reenactor from Kansas who was making his first flint pistol from a pile of new parts - and it was a functioning shooter on the last day. Wonderful accomplishment. Wish more youth were attracted to our community.

It was a great trip but I am happy to be back with LOML.

Took my Bobby Hoyt barrel out again because weather wizard said the wind would die down. He lied. Got one good group before Hurricane kicked up. 50 yards.

Attachments

• 20220615_113741.jpg
    20220615_113741.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 0
Finally got to get out and shoot the Traditions Flinter I put together. My first time with flint.
Does anybody know what I'm supposed to do with all the percussion guns and caps I have laying around ?
How often should I dust them?

20220618_113021.jpg

25 yds. off hand, 45 gr. Goex. 50 cal.

I did have two off the target, flinched a bit.

Way too much fun, can't wait to get it out again soon.

Wasn't today but over the last couple of days I sewed the loose and fallen off buttons on my breeches, replaced the ugly buttons on my Weskit with some nice bone buttons, made a canvas possibles bag with a hemp strap (Haversack style) to carry extra tools and accouterments. I don't like to carry anything in my shooting bag but balls, patches, starter and lube.

Finally got to get out and shoot the Traditions Flinter I put together. My first time with flint.
Does anybody know what I'm supposed to do with all the percussion guns and caps I have laying around ?
How often should I dust them?

View attachment 145192
25 yds. off hand, 45 gr. Goex. 50 cal.

I did have two off the target, flinched a bit.

Way too much fun, can't wait to get it out again soon.
If you ever do sell them , never sell the caps off in one lot , ration them with each gun you sell , it is better to have caps and no gun than a gun and no caps . I no longer own any caplocks but I have about 15 tins of caps just incase I find a really nice caplock at a bargain price .

I went to the range and shot my .40 J P Beck flinter , won one off hand shoot and had a great morning . 40 gr fffg Swiss powder and no wiping between ,35, shots needed and minimum fouling to clean out after , quite unlike Schutzen powder .

Well Pathfinder and myself went up to Camp Raven Knob yesterday. We worked on improving the muzzleloading range with Ricky DiMarco, the program director for Mountain Man, and had some assistance from several of his camp staff. The main section worked on was the target area. We cleared brush, opened up the area and added more target supports. With the new wires and posts, we can now hang up to 7 times more targets for the kids to shoot at. Why does that matter? Well, time is at a premium in a program and time lost changing out targets is time not shooting. By being able to transition to a new set, the kids get more shooting time in and less walking downrange to put up a new target.
IMG_7060.JPG

Dave951 and crew worked on the new Mountain Man Muzzleloading range at Camp Raven Knob in Surry County, NC. Cleared out the old wood and underbrush and expanded the target range a lot. Afterwards we spent the remainder of the day shooting and having great fun. About ready for a summer of youth Muzzleloading education and shooting starting next week!

Attachments

• EB64D191-D0A5-42CC-B9FF-C903F560D047.jpeg
    EB64D191-D0A5-42CC-B9FF-C903F560D047.jpeg
    419.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 8B141AE2-9388-4FD3-B72A-B16129D5F732.jpeg
    8B141AE2-9388-4FD3-B72A-B16129D5F732.jpeg
    381.8 KB · Views: 0
Back