• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like being a hobby gun tinkerer. I really didn't enjoy being a full time gunsmith. The frustration level was too much for me. I would much rather work on what I feel like today.

I can imagine.

I like trying new things. I do hate it when I have to learn from a mistake, though. Don't get me wrong, sometimes it's the best way to remember to never, ever do that again! I suppose it depends on how bad the screw-up is. 😁

Walt

Got in from my desert range about 1100am, it's now 1130am. Got out there about 800am when it was a little bit cool. No breeze today and it's about 95 already and it was really a bright sun. I have to kind of work my way into summer temp tolerances. Shot my Pedersoli .45 cal. percussion Ky. rifle. That thing sure does shoot good with a .440 prb and 40 grns. of 3F. Only dry balled it once today. I'm getting good at getting those balls out. I do the powder under the nipple rather than the screw thingee. Got 15 good shots during the morning and had a good time. Clean up isn't as much fun but it has to be done.

Shot my Frontier percussion rifle 50 yds off hand. 50 grains T7 .490 ball.
6 shots.
0E2EFFF0-CD31-4F21-929D-A1A4FDFD5B48.jpeg5F7F4C75-4DF1-4457-A58F-B1BB9CF5D4C3.jpeg

Two days ago, out to the range. Fired 6 shots using 55 gr. 777, FFFG, patched round ball with a .015 thk mattress ticking patch. Difficult to get down the barrel but I was surprised at the accuracy. Then I tried 6 shots using 63gr. 777, FFFG, patched round ball with a .015 thk mattress ticking patch, again surprised at the accuracy. Also hard to get down the barrel even with cleaning after every two shots. BTW, as suggested, I tried using Hoppe's black powder solvent (cleaner?) as a patch lube. Accuracy was good enough to hit clay pigeons in the berm at 50 yards. Had a GREAT time.

Oh, not offhand. Still trying to find a load I know is accurate so if I miss shooting offhand, I know it's just me, not the rifle.

I can imagine.

I like trying new things. I do hate it when I have to learn from a mistake, though. Don't get me wrong, sometimes it's the best way to remember to never, ever do that again! I suppose it depends on how bad the screw-up is. 😁

Walt
If you don't make a mistake once in a while you arn't doing anything.

i got to clean up but my engravers outside still junk everywhere gives me inspiration. Ha ha it’s not quite a dump everywhere. My wife says “you haven’t changed since the day I met you”. “ that’s what it said on the box. “ lucky her ha ha ha 🙁🙁🙁🙁🙁
Gordon, who painted that Abstract on your wall? Fascinating !!!! next to guns, painted art is my passion!
1652654535907.png

Thanks, this one should be 10’ overall length knot too knot.👍
Approximately 2 1/2” wide…

768’ of polished hemp twine… that varies in thickness… But helps cover up some of my mistakes sometimes too..🤣👍

Another 5’ to go and I’ll be done!

Hi. I worked on my 36 cal double barrel project gun.
Finished fabricating and fitting a replacement lock spring for it, one was cracked I cleaned the nipples and bores..they were all gunked up and cruddy. This gun was sorely neglected. I used hot soapy water and a bore brush and then when I got all the crud out I soaked it in phosphoric acid and scrubbed around until it looks like all the rust is gone. Will reblue it and get it back together. Looking forward to shooting soon.. here is picture..the left lock has the homemade spring.

Cheers
20220515_135657.jpg

I finally took my Zoli Zouave Carbine out today. The targets are self-explanatory. Needless to say, the factory sights are for longer distances. I have an adjustable aperture sight I can mount on the top of the wrist. The lube was a 50/50 mixture of Beeswax and Vaseline. The Patch lube is Bear Grease and Beeswax. I also Tried a liquid patch lube, but it was harder to load!

Walt

Attachments

• 20220515_175215.jpg
    20220515_175215.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220515_175325.jpg
    20220515_175325.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220515_183034.jpg
    20220515_183034.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220515_190334.jpg
    20220515_190334.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 8
Gordon, who painted that Abstract on your wall? Fascinating !!!! next to guns, painted art is my passion!
View attachment 139666
View attachment 139666

hello that’s. Nice comment. It’s a copy of a £5m painting sold recently , the modern German artist ( Gerber ???!) paints by scraping pain across the canvas in layers. Trying to think of his name I photographed it and projected it onto the canvas. Took around a week in on acrylic. I do a lot in oils , but I can churn out a painting in acrylic in a day. I went over to acrylic when I found out Perez was painting sexy women like the one leaning out of the window ? I did previously in oils I could not paint , then when I had two big ops for kidney cancer I sat for weeks watching your Bob Ross and out water colour man Churchod , 2006 I love troweling on thick
oils with a pallet knife. When you think you are dying of cancer painting is so therapeutic and here I am 16 years later , just having immunology shrinking the tumours. . I need an insperation to paint. I have spent thousands £££££££ on guns, but reading your forums and chatting Tommy ( Hanshi ) up In Maine I have fallen in love with long rifles and the Gibbs ml target rifles I bid £850 on one but it went for £2700 I have made a few guns all ml wall hangers as the police took away my shot guns as I might kill intruders at 79. But I can make one , I like original Bess locks. But at £250 plus and scarce. I gave am now made one with a brass plate from an old shotgun back action lock. I was seriously I’ll for a few years with this double rifle disease , I lived in Nigeria once and been in safari several times but did not see any animals at all , so Africa is in me and I have amongst others a double 450-400 Ha ha sorry just chatting away cool sunny day west of London

enjoy lovely to chat , thanks for the compliments , hope we chat again. Gordon

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 24
Fabian Perez. Do look on google sexy women. I tried but not much good on faces

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 18
Gordon, who painted that Abstract on your wall? Fascinating !!!! next to guns, painted art is my passion! A great painting to copy
View attachment 139666
Help again it takes time for out 79 year olds brains to work

good evening. Lagos news

“ if a man is all good nothing bad can be said about him, If he is bad then he should die”

“ and the robbers we shot on bar beach every Sunday morning” See utube “ executions 1972 bar beach Lagos Nigeria “. Ha ha.

So here’s the guy I could not remember. He does some fantastic painting

Back