• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What mistakes have you noticed in movies/tv shows that happen in the BP era like Daniel Boone, Patriot etc?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Open Range gunfight, Costner is shown in several scenes shaking his revolver to remove spent cartridges. Pretty awkward for an experienced gunfighter. Use the ejector rod, dummy!

Okay, stupid question here which may show I don't know too much about guns, but in Daniel Boone, they load a gun by ramming a round shot down the gun barrel, and then they walk around most of the time with the gun barrel pointed down. Why does the round shot not just roll out like a marble down a tube? Thanks for clearing this up.

September Dawn, a movie about the Mountain Meadows massacre, In 1857. You can see 1858 brass frame Remington revolvers being used. Never made a brass frame nor were they available in 1857.
1705110962914.png

Cold Mountain. Excellent movie and book. One scene when Innan is clearing the field with a plow it cuts to another scene. When it cuts back to him in the field with the team someone is standing in front of the team holding them still. Don’t care. One of my favorite movies!👍🏻
Yeah, in Daniel Boone I notice when there's a team of horses often you can't see the front of the team, as if someone is standing in front of them guiding them, but sometimes the team is shown moving.

Title says it all. What mistakes have you noticed in movies/tv shows that happen in the BP era like Daniel Boone, Patriot etc? Eventhough they try not to slip anachronisms, sometimes you can spot things that just don't fit with the era or even something in the background or an actor who forgot to take off his watch or whatever. Next weekend being Canada Day, I'm gonna have a 3 days weekend and have a second look at one or two movies and try to spot mistakes, out of place or out of period things for fun.
The old shows I cut some slack, because they had nowhere near the resources that we have today. Daniel Boone broke stereotypes, and was pretty good for it's time period.

Northwest Passage, they use the wrong guns and the wrong hats, but hey it's Spencer Tracey and it was the 1930's.... Captain Blood with Errol Flynn, the cannon stuff was hilarious, Allegheny Uprising... very early John Wayne BUT... in one scene a musket is loaded by holding the ball in the palm of the hand, and coving the ball with a mound of powder, which IS a type of authentic loading technique....

What I don't like are shows done recently which have NO EXCUSE not to be more correct.

Jamestown... no hats, lack of women's caps..., wrong women's clothing, women arguing their case in court, slaves spectating in court, etc....
Black Sails...., platinum blonde bimbo with huge openings in her blouse NO SUNBURN, mullet haircuts, crewcuts, lack of hats...
Sons of Liberty..., costumer should be shot it was soooo bad...
Colonial House... British BBC production aired in USA on PBS...., totally bogus as they put a bunch of folks together without any of the skills needed, in fact selected AGAINST living history people, but then didn't respond to the knuckleheads.
Frontier House..., same idea but set in the 19th century..., had prejudice against guns, so didn't show any hunting, and although it was done in summer, they could easily have simulated hunting.... but it's known this was refused because the director thinks guns are bad....

For the folks that say that "accuracy" would create a "documentary" and that it would be boring, see Downton Abbey...still not convinced? See Band of Brothers...., and Master and Commander... and Kenneth Brannagh's Henry V.

LS

Last edited:
I am not a movie watcher per se but I did like Clint Eastwood films and watched a few. The biggest blunder I saw was when Clint was going to blow up a bridge during a Civil War battle. He had a bundle of dynamite in his hand. The problem was that Nobel hadn't invented dynamite yet ?

Okay, stupid question here which may show I don't know too much about guns, but in Daniel Boone, they load a gun by ramming a round shot down the gun barrel, and then they walk around most of the time with the gun barrel pointed down. Why does the round shot not just roll out like a marble down a tube? Thanks for clearing this up.
You usually use a patch (a piece of cloth) around the round ball to seal the projectile in the barrel.

Back