• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to BP in San Francisco

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeMat1856

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,
It's nice to find such a huge forum for muzzleloading and support issues. I just bought a pietta (yeah, i know. but what are the choices ?) LeMat from cabela's (still on sale $749) and have taken it to the range once - my very very first time with a bp weapon. to be sure, there were a few issues.

Overall, things went well. I had taken the time to read postings on civil war reenactors sites, cabela's tips and videos, and even youtube which has dozens of home made videos of people blasting away with all kinds of weapons including a blunderbluss (my next possible purchase).

My biggest mistake was trying to fit a ball (.454) into the cylinder with 45 grains of fff. I just could not seat it and then realized that there ain't that much space !! So i had to dump the load and start over with a 35 grain charge. Other than that, the biggest problem was the c**ppy remington #10 caps. Maybe they weren't seated properly but throughout the day i had several that didn't fire on the first try.

Most comical moment was looking over my shoulder to see about 8 people crowded behind me watching my every move and then when i fired a round, they would all go "ooohhh" and "aaahhh" as the smoke billowed out. I don't even know if i hit the target. Felt sorry for the other shooter with his $3000 WA2000 and spotting scope. Nobody even seemed to notice him. What a day.

I'm looking for a partner to shoot with. There are about 20 outdoor/indoor ranges here in the bay area but i don't have a car and most are located far off the beaten track without any public transport service. If any of you visit the SF area, contact me and we can do the tour.

Final notes. Owning a lemat was a *must do* for me. I saw a real 1856 model on the history channel and said "that's the one for me." I've had .410 and 20g shotguns, .22 carbine, .45 colt, but none of them are a fraction as fun as this baby. By combining a .44 revolver and the 20g shot, it's the best of both worlds. And, contrary to popular misconceptions, they are not difficult to operate or clean. If a rank rookie can do it day 1, you old pro's have no excuses.

Anyone interested in getting one should search yahoo for "lemat sale" and you will find several private party and retail sources. Prices range from the high (new navy arms $890 +/-) to used ones ($550-600). As always, buyers should do lots of reference and background checking.

Don't be a stranger. Feel free to introduce yourself. I have lots of questions so you will have to put up with my newbie status for now.

By the looks of this forum, i made a good decision getting into bp.
:thumbsup:
~daniel~

Daniel,
Welcome to the ML Forum. :thumbsup: The LeMat sounds like fun. You'll get used to the "oohhs and ahhs" when firing BP stuff around the center-fire bunch. GW

quite an introduction LeMat, and you came to the right place. lots of BP pistol shooters here (me included)
welcome to the Forum :hatsoff:

A cordial welcome to you. Seems as though you are comfortable with black powder and the workings of your firearm, hope you keep on posting here.

Thank ya' kindly, one and all.

Where is winton, ca. ? And what kind of ranges/open space do you have for "plinking" ?

To be honest, i grew up in rural, north western new york state - the other alaska - surrounded by thousands of acres of forest, pastures, and unused land. Shooting was as simple as grabbing the gun and a box of ammo, walking 1/2 mile to the edge of town, and loadin' up. I hate this range stuff ("clear all actions, step back behind the yellow line," etc.) even if it is rainproof.

When i win the lotto, i'm building a two story soundproof warehouse and filling it with targets and obstacles, like a paintball course. Friends only. :grin:

Dodge City...? For real ? Isn't that where Marshal Dillon and Festus live ? Say hello to Mizz Kitty. HA!

Welcome LeMat :hatsoff:

I'm about 60 miles South of you in the Santa Cruz Mtns.

Los Altos rod and gun club is a nice and BP friendly range if you head South a bit.

LeMat1856 said:
Thank ya' kindly, one and all.

Where is winton, ca. ? And what kind of ranges/open space do you have for "plinking" ?

To be honest, i grew up in rural, north western new york state - the other alaska - surrounded by thousands of acres of forest, pastures, and unused land. Shooting was as simple as grabbing the gun and a box of ammo, walking 1/2 mile to the edge of town, and loadin' up. I hate this range stuff ("clear all actions, step back behind the yellow line," etc.) even if it is rainproof.

When i win the lotto, i'm building a two story soundproof warehouse and filling it with targets and obstacles, like a paintball course. Friends only. :grin:

Lemat,
i live in that geography - S.W. of Tahoe, Carson pass, Silver Fork area,,,if you ever want to tag along. Makes for a nice outing, or overnite. :v

LeMat,
Welcome to the MLF,great having you
with us.Visit often and contribute when you
can.
I am snake-eyes:hatsoff:

Welcome aboard brother ... theres no goin back now! :thumbsup:

Davy

Mr.Gray,
I can't count the hours i've spent cruz'in (get it) the hills of sc - ben lomond, bonny doon, and all those hamlets around there. One of my most favorite motorcycle rides was the "pier to pier" run. Leave sf pier 32 and end up at the boardwalk in sc. I would use either pc hwy 1 or hwy 280 -> hwy 92 -> hwy 35 -> and finally 17 on the down-leg and then 17 to 280 back. Aahhh, those were the days.....

If i'm ever i your area, i'll give you a buz.

Latest posts

Back