• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone you know?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No Powder

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone you know?

You might be a re-enactor if

a..your $20,000 car sits out in the weather so your $200 tent can stay in the garage.
b.. You drive by some open land and think, "What a great place for a battle!" (or a fort or rendezvous)
c.. Most of the clothes you own went out of style over 250 years ago...
d.. If you've ever uttered the phrase, "Only 68 more days til our next event."
e.. Sleeping in a leaky tent in the rain and mud is your idea of a fun Saturday night.
f.. You've ever worn wool when the temperature tops 100 repeatedly.
g.. There are half-completed sewing projects decorating your furniture.
h.. You've ever made a career decision based on its impact on your re-enacting weekends.
i.. Your friends refuse to attend any historic movie dramas with you.
j.. You can spot 100% wool or linen at 30 yards
k.. Your kids can correct their history teachers...
l.. Your mailman is confused as to what rank you hold in the reserves.
m.. You have been asked at a gas station if you're Amish.
n.. Your birthday and Christmas list reads like a quartermaster's request for supplies or Sir William Johnson's trade lists.
o.. You believe that your center-seams are the most comfortable shoes that you own. ( aren't they? )
p.. You hang your event clothes in the living room just for the fireplace smell.
q.. High waisted knee britches or breechcloth and leggings are something you wish you could wear to the office every day.
r.. In a conversation with your friends about camping, they ALL think you are ready for the
loony bin when you tell them what type of gear you use.
s.. You TOTALLY empty your house, every time you go to an event.
t.. You think $40 is too expensive for a new silk dress shirt, but a period linen shirt at $80 is a real bargain.
u.. While packing your books to move to a new house, you swear you're going to start a butterfly collection instead.
v.. Some of the most common phrases of your vocabulary are: "No, I'm not in a play"--"Yes, I'm really going to eat that"--"Yes, I really slept here all weekend"--"Yes, it's a real fire, gun, etc..."
w.. The six musical cassettes in your car/van/truck consist of 3 fife and drum corps, 1 Scottish bagpipe tunes, 1 native flute music and the sound track from "Last of the Mohicans".
x.. You can recite all the dialog, by heart, from "Last of the Mohicans", "Blackrobe", "The Mountain Men", "Jeremiah Johnson", "Braveheart", "Rob Roy", "The Alamo", "Gettysburg", "Dances with Wolves", "The Patriot" etc.
y.. You find things like turkey wings and deer hides under the tree Christmas morning.
z.. One of the questions you hear is, "Are you wearing underwear under there?"
AA.. Your neighbors think that you are running a Cuban refugee camp when you are drying canvas after a wet event.
BB.. Your schedule runs "Sunday-unload, Monday-Unpack, Tues.-Laundry, Wed.-Food shopping, Thurs.-pack, Fri.-Leave for an event".
CC.. You eat 5 meals out of a bowl and clean it twice.
DD.. You look into the bottom of the mug to make sure that there isn't anything too nasty in the bottom, but you ask for a clean knife at a restaurant because this one has water spots.
EE.. You eat sooooooooo much dried food on the trail, that on the way home you stop at Pizza Hut and order an x-large pizza with extra grease and a pitcher of Coke and then whatever the rest of the family wants.
FF.. You are a guy and you wear more paint/makeup than the women you are with.
GG. You stop at a convenience store and the attendant asks, "Are you a leprechaun?"
HH. You go through more baby wipes in a year than if you would if you really had a baby.
II. You develop an aversion to synthetic fibers in your 21st century life.
JJ. Seemingly non-issue details you never use to notice now suddenly drive you up the wall like observing Phillips head screws that haven't been plugged showing plainly forth on your new stereo cabinet.
KK. You worry that when the door to door evangelists come knocking, they will mistake your recent project in the works for black magic voodoo paraphernalia.
LL. You retell stories of bad DNR run-ins that either you or someone you know have experienced but neither of you have ever poached an animal in your life.
MM. It takes you twice as long to explain what you do for a living than anyone else you know. (Sutler / Trader)
NN. You've ever been embarrassed for treating a tourist like a tourist before you realized it was really a re-enactor in disguise.
OO. An oft repeated adage you hear yourself speaking while wearing your sabots: "No, I'm not Dutch, I'm French/German/English/American..."
PP. Upon sight, children pat their mouths and make woo-woo-woo noises at you.
QQ. Your answer to the question "are you full-blooded?" has mutated from a reasonably intelligent response into "Well, I cut myself shaving this morning so, no, I'm a few drops low today".
RR. If you're a woman, you can't fathom anything more expensive and frivolous than REAL quahog wampum beads.
SS. You're a woman and you have a knife collection AND you know who made each one from the touch marks on the blades.

Wow, have we met?
It's like reading my biography...

Cool post, I really enjoyed it.

Sounds awful familiar to me, even the wife is starting to come around (she's even looking forward to her first encampment this spring).

I didn't notice anything unusual about that list. In fact, it seemed like a pretty normal list to me.

DEADDAWG: I'm only goin' to say this once, "DO NOT LET YOUR WIFE GET INTO THE FRYING PAN THROW" when she attends that first event!!!!!!!!
'nuf said.
grin.gif

tuffy

She didn't, she just sat back and laughed. Had a hell of a good time through out the summer going to rendevous, although every rendevous we went to was wet and chilly. I have to give her credit though, she stuck them out, cold, wet and all, and still had fun. She's actually looking forward to next year. She ordered a new early 1800s period dress from Judy at Kenockee and a new pair of shoes from Fugawee so that she doesn't have to look like a squaw all the time. She has a list of things she wants to get at the history fair this spring. I just hope I have enough money. Take care, Rick.

Fully dressed I went into a 7-11 and two teenage girls called the cops on me for carrying a "sword".
It was my 9 inch Bowie. They told the cops Id be easy to spot. I look like a movie extra.

I had on my hawk and knife. The first thing the cops said was where is my rifle. I told him in the car, because you cant walk around town with a rifle and not run into you boys.

Back