• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What mistakes have you noticed in movies/tv shows that happen in the BP era like Daniel Boone, Patriot etc?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Though not strictly a movie or a tv show, some of the History Channels' programs show reenactments of historical events. On one such, an even that occurred during the Civil War showed both Union and Southern troops carrying M1 Garands. Another reenactment showed WW2 American troops carrying either Springfield or Eddystone turn bolts. Even saw a match lock in an episode where a flint lock should have been used. You would think that the prop department, or someone in production would at least make an effort to get things right. But then. I suppose, unless you are a 'gunperson' one gun looks pretty much like another.
Most all of Hollywood types are liberal gun haters. No surprise that the effort to research these “hateful” things falls short.

Living in Texas have visited the Alamo a time or two. On one such visit, I saw what was alleged to be the rifle that Crockett used at the Alamo. It was about 4-41/2 feet long percussion not flintlock. Plus, it appeared to be .32 caliber. A kids' rifle, in other words. Nothing Crockett would have been carrying at the time. I managed to upset the guide by pointing this out. I managed to further anger said guide by pointing out that a short 'artillery' sword labeled as having been carried by Mexican troops, was actually a 'wasp waist' Roman gladius. I was told that if I wasn't happy with the exhibits that I really didn't need to comment on then.
There are very few real Roman swords left. A lot of the artillery swords were copied from what they thought a glass was. So your mistake might be natural. Rude though.

In the movie Mohawk, set in upper NY during the war of 1812 there is a scene where one of the American soldiers ws creeping through the woods with his rifle at the ready, unfortunately his frizzen was in the open position
I've seen that a lot. Maybe it's Hollywood's version of "Safety On". Makes them feel better if the gun is harmless.:doh:

There are very few real Roman swords left. A lot of the artillery swords were copied from what they thought a glass was. So your mistake might be natural. Rude though.
No mistake! I know the difference between a Roman Gladius (all styles) and Artillery swords. Also know the difference between a flintlock, cap lock (percussion), snaphaunce and most other types of rifle/musket ignition systems. No novice, here.

Title says it all. What mistakes have you noticed in movies/tv shows that happen in the BP era like Daniel Boone, Patriot etc? Eventhough they try not to slip anachronisms, sometimes you can spot things that just don't fit with the era or even something in the background or an actor who forgot to take off his watch or whatever. Next weekend being Canada Day, I'm gonna have a 3 days weekend and have a second look at one or two movies and try to spot mistakes, out of place or out of period things for fun.
I don't even know where I should start with the **** show that is "The Patriot." I recall reading that Mel Gibson's character was originally supposed to be based on Francis Marion, but like all historical figures, the Swamp Fox had some un-PC "baggage" that made the movie makers run off with a crazy ass script with numerous historical inaccuracies. It is like they decided to not even try. One of my biggest, but certainly not only, gripes is how the King's troops and officers had "British" accents and the colonists had generic "American" accents. The non-Rhotic accent that many think of as "British" did not really develop until after the American Revolution. At the time, while accents in the American colonies and Britain (and Canada) would have had some regional differences, they would have been more alike than so very different as they are portrayed in The Patriot. Also, most of the colonists prior to the Revolution thought of themselves as Englishmen and only wanted to be treated like their brethren across the pond. That's my rant for today.

In the movie Gettysburg there is a military observer from England, a Lt. Colonel Arthur Fremantle . Of course the makers of the movie have him in a red coat so the audience can immediately "spot him". All accounts of his being there (even his own diary) have him in a gray jacket. He was even mistaken as a Confederate officer at times.

Last edited:
I have said this before in other threads and I'll say it again. My all-time favorite is in "The Legend of the Lone Ranger."

While nursing the soon to be Lone Ranger back to health, and teaching him how to shoot, Tonto hands him a handful of silver bullets to try because they are "more accurate."

There is a cannon at the Alamo mounted upside down and with no trunnions. I bet you could play "stump the guide" with that.
I might have been a little quick in replying, there "was" such a cannon. I am not sure if it is still displayed upside down. It's the big one at entrance of the Chapel on a blue carriage.If you look closely it has no trunnions but sits in a "saddle".

I have said this before in other threads and I'll say it again. My all-time favorite is in "The Legend of the Lone Ranger."

While nursing the soon to be Lone Ranger back to health, and teaching him how to shoot, Tonto hands him a handful of silver bullets to try because they are "more accurate."
Pure silver is soft like lead isn't it?

What about Rifleman the TV show, wasn't the guns a little to modern for that suppose time it was taken.
I
Living in Texas have visited the Alamo a time or two. On one such visit, I saw what was alleged to be the rifle that Crockett used at the Alamo. It was about 4-41/2 feet long percussion not flintlock. Plus, it appeared to be .32 caliber. A kids' rifle, in other words. Nothing Crockett would have been carrying at the time. I managed to upset the guide by pointing this out. I managed to further anger said guide by pointing out that a short 'artillery' sword labeled as having been carried by Mexican troops, was actually a 'wasp waist' Roman gladius. I was told that if I wasn't happy with the exhibits that I really didn't need to comment on then.
Not trying to be ugly here, but...
1. Actually, many smaller-caliber guns WERE carried at that time, as the more finely-refined powder allowed equal ballistics with smaller projectiles.
2. I am not familiar with which of his guns Crockett carried in the final defense of the Alamo, but he DID have what is believed to be a percussion rifle presented to him in Phiadelphiia as they had been around for about three decades by that point. This one was NOT with him in defending the Alamo but another one being in DC's possession or usage might not be out-of-line, given his status (much of which came about after his death, it appears) and resources.
3. Starting with the Napoleonic Wars, French artillery non-com's swords very commonly were patterned on old Roman designs. (My best friend in college in 1976 had one exactly like the one you describe that was picked up off the battlefield at Waterloo in 1815...)
Since the French had the rep throughout the first 60-70 years of the 19th century for having the best weapons, everyone, Mexico, U.S., etc.,copied them, all the way up into the WBTS. DGW used to carry the American artilleryman's sword of similar design. I have seen Confederate naval cutlasses also modelled on Graeco Roman patterns.

You might be glad the ranger DIDN'T "know. their stuff..."

Last edited:
I read that Crockett left his percussion rifle in Tennessee because he thought possibly the caps would be hard to get in Texas. Or if they were even available "out there on the frontier".

No mistake! I know the difference between a Roman Gladius (all styles) and Artillery swords. Also know the difference between a flintlock, cap lock (percussion), snaphaunce and most other types of rifle/musket ignition systems. No novice, here.
Again good sir, there are very few real Roman swords and NONE are in any way usable or have they been, for hundreds of years. All are in rusty (bad shape), relic condition. All are archeological finds. Stuff that has been in the ground 2000 years will not be in great shape.

Maybe you believe there’s a secret society or something like in National Treasure that has them squirreled away. There isn’t. There are zero Roman swords that are not in really crusty shape. Even the Guttmann Pompeii was pretty bad. I have some photos of this stuff on my website: www.RomanoBritain.org you can see what things from 2000 years ago are like.

I’m sure that this post will cause wild offense, but that’s not the intent. Do done searching for real Roman swords.

I wonder about the dark color whiskey they drank back in those days. Whiskey gets it color from time it spent in a oak barrel (Canada adds coloring) don't think back then and into the western1870s to 90s time, whiskey didn't get aged much.

I wonder about the dark color whiskey they drank back in those days. Whiskey gets it color from time it spent in a oak barrel (Canada adds coloring) don't think back then and into the western1870s to 90s time, whiskey didn't get aged much.
Probably the "colorful stuff" some of the vendors put in it, like turpentine, chewing tobacco, raw meat, or even rattlesnake heads. I'm sure some imaginative minds thought of somethings to darken it with.That may be why it was called rotgut and a few other things.

What about Rifleman the TV show, wasn't the guns a little to modern for that suppose time it was taken.
The Rifleman is a classic. The backstory of the Rifleman was he was a Union veteran of the Civil War. The show takes place post-Civil War in the fictional Town of Northfork, New Mexico Territory. The rifle used is a Winchester Model 1892 in I believe .44-40. Considering the gap between 1865 and 1892 it most likely was not invented yet for when the series takes place, but it's Hollywood and still a great show.

It was also the first TV show in American history to depict a single parent raising a child on his own. Again, a great show from a simpler time that never gets old.

The Rifleman is a classic. The backstory of the Rifleman was he was a Union veteran of the Civil War. The show takes place post-Civil War in the fictional Town of Northfork, New Mexico Territory. The rifle used is a Winchester Model 1892 in I believe .44-40. Considering the gap between 1865 and 1892 it most likely was not invented yet for when the series takes place, but it's Hollywood and still a great show.

It was also the first TV show in American history to depict a single parent raising a child on his own. Again, a great show from a simpler time that never gets old.
I've always had my doubts about a .44-40 being that accurate. Even if Lucas McCain was dead on, the .44-40 is not known as a "target caliber".

One of my favorites is "High Noon" with Gary Cooper. If Frank Miller was such a bad dude, and he and his small gang were there to murder Gary Cooper and burn the town to the ground, why didn't a couple of towns folk and Gary Cooper just go up on the roof top of a building and blast them down with rifles when they walked into town?
One of my favorite movies also. Doing that before a crime was committed would be murder.

Latest posts

Back