• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Think it'll work?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Repaired my first lock this week. I don't have the best rock in it, piece of farm field pick up I smashed into a rough flint.
Took my chances on evilbay a couple weeks ago and got bit on a TC lock by a seller with 100 percent positive feed back.

He used what I will call careful wording and photography to represent the item. Been kicking myself again.
Had a very badly bent lock plate and wasn't functional when it showed up at the old door step.

Last edited by a moderator:
Flint is hitting the frizzen at almost 90 degrees initially. Flint needs to be repositioned to angle downward more, bend the cock jaws down, or rework the frizzen so it angles back more at the top. The action sure is fast though!

Took another look at that lock a bit ago. It may yet need some physical tweaks as it is a gen one but for this instance the strike problem was me flipping the flint over to strike above the halfway point. The edge is catching the casting seam. The few times I worked it I was concentrating on holding the phone and rifle and missed that. It had pulled the flint up and rotated it. The rotation can be readily seen in the vid with the powder, nearly a 30 degree angle on the strike on the face of the frizzen.

My attention to detail be faulty today.

Flipping or even shimming the back of the flint may well be all it needed as you mentioned. A couple sweeps across the roller part of a belt sander will remove the casting seam, but it doesn't seem to be too bad in the striking area and will wear off from use anyway.

You could try flipping the flint over and mounting it that way. You're getting pretty good spark, with sparks raining right down into the pan, but hitting the frizzen at that angle is going to unduly wear the frizzen and also chip the sharp edge off the flint. Try that before you start bending metal, as another poster suggested.

You could try flipping the flint over and mounting it that way. You're getting pretty good spark, with sparks raining right down into the pan, but hitting the frizzen at that angle is going to unduly wear the frizzen and also chip the sharp edge off the flint. Try that before you start bending metal.
It was hitting way low with the bevel up, below halfway. That may be where a cock adjustment (potentially an update to the redesigned one for 20 bucks and leave the original as is) or a differently shaped flint come into play.

Latest posts

Back