• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Kind of Wood is This?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plain maple or birch. Definitely not beech. Most of my mother's side 2-5 generations back are from Olney, small world.

Birch is what I thought.

Birch was and is a very popular, and inexpensive stock wood..., did I point out it's inexpensive?

LD

Birch is what I thought.

Birch was and is a very popular, and inexpensive stock wood..., did I point out it's inexpensive?

LD
my birch blank was inexpensive. free. thats why i started practicing techniques on it. now i have so much time into it i have to finish it.
the hole in my operation is i thought to make a trigger guard, and discovered i just don't have the capabilities to do so. one from track on the way.
this particular birch was a dream to inlet. it was so easy to cut i am thinking about some carving. this rifle may turn out to be a gem that started out as firewood.

my birch blank was inexpensive. free. thats why i started practicing techniques on it. now i have so much time into it i have to finish it.
the hole in my operation is i thought to make a trigger guard, and discovered i just don't have the capabilities to do so. one from track on the way.
this particular birch was a dream to inlet. it was so easy to cut i am thinking about some carving. this rifle may turn out to be a gem that started out as firewood.

I'm sincerely looking forward to what you achieve. My experience has been with modern Cowboy stuff using birch and dyed quite dark as the pieces were not from the same tree, so took lighter dye in different manners.

LD

this relic is stocked with wood from the same plank i am working on now.
the stain i used was antique formulation by an extinct company called Beverley. heavy bodied.
i am going to try painting this new stock with tannic acid first then try aqua fortis.
still shaping and scraping.
OP, didn't mean to hijack your post but maybe you can get some ideas about refinishing.

Attachments

• 20231102_121512.jpg
    20231102_121512.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231102_122446.jpg
    20231102_122446.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Birch is hard to refinish. Requiring no less then a BS in wood finish, preferably a MS
I by chance hold a BS and will be happy yo refinish that for you
I do so for the good of the sport and will only charge you shipping.
I am very backlogged as all the BS wood finishers I know, but send it now and I will put it in the q
If sent in the next week I expect I can have it returned by Nov 1 2048

Birch is what I thought.

LD
Birch is hard to refinish. Requiring no less then a BS in wood finish, preferably a MS
I by chance hold a BS and will be happy yo refinish that for you
I do so for the good of the sport and will only charge you shipping.
I am very backlogged as all the BS wood finishers I know, but send it now and I will put it in the q
If sent in the next week I expect I can have it returned by Nov 1 2048
Damn I’d be 100 yrs old by then….:)

Back