• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What kind of barrel is it?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought this pistol barrel because it was a real bargain (is it correct English word ? :hmm: ). I'd buy some barrel to made a pistol anyway, because i was thinking about it.
But I have no idea for what kind of pistol is this barrel correct :redface:
So my question is what pistol can i build with this barrel, to be PC? Plane pistol? Duell pistol ? German cavalry pistol ? I like flintlock pistols.
As You see it is designed for halfstock only. The barrel is cal..58 with twist, not smoothbore. Tis barrel has not drilled touch hole yet.
P1010172.jpg

Thanks for any tips :hatsoff:
bartek

I'd suggest a "horse pistol" or large holster pistol from the late flint era, post 1800, suit yourself as to nationality.

Bartek,,I see it as a Harpers Ferry pistol.I have two but they are 55/56 cal. 20/25 gr 3f..shoot good

Bartek said:
I bought this pistol barrel because it was a real bargain (is it correct English word ? :hmm: ). I'd buy some barrel to made a pistol anyway, because i was thinking about it.
But I have no idea for what kind of pistol is this barrel correct :redface:
So my question is what pistol can i build with this barrel, to be PC? Plane pistol? Duell pistol ? German cavalry pistol ? I like flintlock pistols.
As You see it is designed for halfstock only. The barrel is cal..58 with twist, not smoothbore. Tis barrel has not drilled touch hole yet.
P1010172.jpg

Thanks for any tips :hatsoff:
bartek

Looks very close to Harpers Ferry model 1805 pistol, made 1806-1808, except these were 54 cal. smoothbore.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

Seems a bit too big for a dualing barrel. I think the others are about right.
A military pistol, early 1800s, Flintlock.

As it isn't drilled for a touch hole, do you know if it was built for actually being shot?
I ask because there are a large number of "guns" that were built only to be hung on a wall as decorators.

Before spending too much on this project, it would be a good idea to find out if the breech plug is actually threaded into the barrel with some good strong threads. Many decorators are just brazed or soldered together which would make them totally unsuitable for shooting.
We wouldn't want to loose one of our fine Polish friends! :)

Short of actually disassembling the breech the only way I know of to see how it was constructed is with the use of X-Rays.
Perhaps you know of a place that could X-ray it? I have heard that there are a few Universities have equipment in their Science labs that might do it as a learning project. :hmm:

Thanks for all tips :) I finally found the former owner again and asked. It is in fact Harper's-Ferry, made by Herstal ("Fabrique Nationale d 'Armes de Guerre") in Liege, Belgium. So the stuff must be good :) .
best wishes :hatsoff:
bartek

Latest posts

Back