• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is your favorite era of muzzleloading?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your favorite type of muzzleloader?

• Choose your favorite

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Match lock

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Wheel lock

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • flintlock

Votes: 90 69.8%
  • Percussion

Votes: 45 34.9%
  • other

Votes: 4 3.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My favorite is the early Lancaster, Dickert style. My Marvin Kemper 45cal Early Lancaster,
42766C9D-61F2-443D-BFA1-559B1F7FC61D.jpeg

I got started in modern Muzzleloaders, Migrated to a Double Percussion… then T/c Percussions and then T/c Flintlock’s.
I guess a Percussion is majority of my small collection. Yet That’s because the Flintlocks are difficult to find.
So There is a long winded explanation of my “Favorite” . It is a Double Percussion of the later 1800’s used in Asia & Africa…. Followed by 1980s T/c Flintlocks 😁

Attachments

• 9E62703B-6073-490E-A2BA-2262A5F45D09.jpeg
    9E62703B-6073-490E-A2BA-2262A5F45D09.jpeg
    84.3 KB · Views: 21
  • FF293B6F-4258-4704-A29E-A59E994C6CEA.jpeg
    FF293B6F-4258-4704-A29E-A59E994C6CEA.jpeg
    118.5 KB · Views: 21
I am curious as to what most of our forum choice is for their favorite type of black powder gun. I started out in percussion, then went to flintlock. What is your favorite? Please ignore the 1st choice, this is the first time I've posted a poll, and I'm old and computer illiterate. If you choose "other", you obviously own two or more different types. If so, state all the different types you have. Pictures or it isn't (ain't) so.
You are immediately forgiven as I suffer from much the same condition! I started out with percussion and enjoyed hunting with my mountain/plains rifle . I also have a replica .36 Remington Navy that I have not shot in years as we can only shoot pistols/ revolvers on a bona fide range As there is no 2A north of the line. I have always been interested about obtaining a "quality " Flint gun like a Lancaster style long rifle , but never did get one. I still remember and drool over an exquisite example brought to "Encampment 99" in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia at Fortress Louisburg . It was a gorgeous .54 lh flint gun with I believe a Jim Chambers lock on its left side. The gentleman from Georgia allowed me to fondle it for a bit . Maybe he is on this forum and may remember reenacting there?

I am curious as to what most of our forum choice is for their favorite type of black powder gun. I started out in percussion, then went to flintlock. What is your favorite? Please ignore the 1st choice, this is the first time I've posted a poll, and I'm old and computer illiterate. If you choose "other", you obviously own two or more different types. If so, state all the different types you have. Pictures or it isn't (ain't) so.
I chose flint lock. I've always been interested in that era of history when the flint lock mechanism reigned supreme.

My favorite era of time was the French and Indian War/ Revolutionary War, when the good old flintlock reigned king. Although most of my muzzleloaders are percussion, I still love the flash in the pan from my Brown Bess.

I'm excited to experience a flintlock smooth rifle. Doing a scratch build long rifle , in burl walnut , with .555 bore. The piece of wood was a corner sitter with fatal knot in the forearm. Lengthened the forearm , barrel is fit , and the project is leaning against the work bench ,at least closer to the vise than before. ................oldwood

It's hard to nail a date down - but I am really getting into the early snaphaunce, wheellock thru flintlock (1700ish) era. The time frame matches up with the earliest European contact in the area I live in. Reading an article now about a French fort in Castine, ME. Here's an extract: "From 1635 to 1654, Fort Pentagoet defended private commercial investments in Acadia against English enemies and French rivals. The extensive refuse associated with the armorer's workshop shows evidence of highly diversified maintenance and fabrication covering a wide variety of technologies. Competence in complex forge related work is apparent, particularly in gunsmithing. Gunspalls were regularly and expertly made here although they were later replaced by ready-made blade-type gunflints". The fort was passed back and forth between the French and English until Acadia was finally given to the British just before the AWI. Interestingly, the fort was razed by the Dutch in 1674. The levels of debris are quite well segregated, so dating the materials to specific periods of occupation is possible. Interesting is the fact that no matchlock parts were found onsite. Parts of snaplock, wheellock, and flintlocks were found. Several of the lock plates had horizontal sears, and several had vertical sears. They also found several completed and several partially completed vertical sears. Here is a link to the article if interested.
Maintenance and Fabrication at Fort Pentagoet 1635-1654 Products of an Acadian Armorer's Workshop on JSTOR
Here's a link to the home page if that doesn't work:
JSTOR Home
You can sign up for free, and it gives you free access to 100 articles a month. You type in a keyword and it returns every article they have archived with that word in it. Pretty interesting if your into history etc.

I am interested in and have shot guns from all eras but the Civil War era was what really got me into shooting black powder guns. Part of that probably came from being a kid during the Centennial, fascinated with the history of it all. Rifled muskets and cap & ball revolvers are my favorites and a real link with the past for me.

I don't really have a favorite era but enjoy reading about the mountain man era more than most other so called era's. I have flint guns rifles and smoothies as well as percussion rifles and smoothies with a couple of cap and ball revolvers and a pistol. I like shooting the flinters but do a lot better with the percussion guns. No hard and fast favorites but like them all.

Latest posts

Back