• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What is your favorite era of muzzleloading?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your favorite type of muzzleloader?

• Choose your favorite

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Match lock

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Wheel lock

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • flintlock

Votes: 90 69.8%
  • Percussion

Votes: 45 34.9%
  • other

Votes: 4 3.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Percussion, specifically ACW muskets and revolvers. Mostly this is due to knowing a lot about one of my ACW/Union ancestors, an older volunteer (in his 30s and four children at home) who received the MOH, was permanently disabled as a result of wounds, and suffered the rest of his life from a partially amputated foot, respiratory disease, and PTSD for defending what he believed in. My interest began as a way to honor him and my other ancestors who served.

Gonna have to go with Post-Rev to Civil war and up until 2 weeks ago all I had was cap guns... Now I have my very first Flintlock and it's my new favorite... I was able to get out and shoot it last Friday and I am totally hooked, it's a Kashtuk fowler from Hendrie with the 42" 20g barrel... 30 shots and not a single issue except I know why they're called Flinchlocks now, but by the end of the day that was no longer an issue... I've a feeling my caplocks might collect dust for a while...

20220214_165312small.jpg
20220219_121411small.jpg

I like them all from all eras .Maybe , If I had to choose, the Lancaster style firearms appeal to me the most ,
I own 1 matchlock ,1 wheel lock , 2 smooth bore flintlocks and 3 flintlock rifles .
I think the American Long Gun (rifle or smooth bore) is the tops , it can vary from plain to utterly beautiful , from utility to super fancy , from small bore to large bore .A well made one , no matter what type period or school, is always a thing of grace , balance and style and a delight to hold , shoot and own .
If I could only own one rifle ( Oh the horror ) it would be my .50 flintlock 1770 Iron mounted walnut stocked J Bivins style Lancaster rifle ,

Last edited:
Flintlock for sure…mainly because here in PA we have the “flintlock only” season after Christmas. So most guys I know in PA who hunt deer own a flintlock just in case they have a tag or two left in late season. As for my favorite period…definitely French Indian War through Revolution, with a close second being Lewis and Clark through the early Rocky Mountain Fur Trade days.

Flintlock for sure…mainly because here in PA we have the “flintlock only” season after Christmas. So most guys I know in PA who hunt deer own a flintlock just in case they have a tag or two left in late season. As for my favorite period…definitely French Indian War through Revolution, with a close second being Lewis and Clark through the early Rocky Mountain Fur Trade days.
I wish Arkansas had a flintlock only season. In-line's are all the rage here now. :dunno: Synthetic stocks, scopes, sabots, fake black powder? I thought "primitive season" meant "primitive" methods.

Last edited:
Gonna have to go with Post-Rev to Civil war and up until 2 weeks ago all I had was cap guns... Now I have my very first Flintlock and it's my new favorite... I was able to get out and shoot it last Friday and I am totally hooked, it's a Kashtuk fowler from Hendrie with the 42" 20g barrel... 30 shots and not a single issue except I know why they're called Flinchlocks now, but by the end of the day that was no longer an issue... I've a feeling my caplocks might collect dust for a while...

View attachment 125875View attachment 125876
Flintlocks are an addiction!

You ask an almost impossible question for me to answer. I'm afraid that over the years the whole black powder bug has become somewhat of an obsession and I love shooting them all. I do have to admit though that flintlocks have that something extra for me and over the last couple of years have moved on from a mere obsession into the ranks of a full blown addiction.

'morning,

Have to agree with Oldeyes. I chose flintlock rather than just check them all. :) Because in my opinion, that's the one that I have the most fun shooting.

But that said, I'll tend to grab any of my bp weapons over modern for a day at the range. Whether it's cap n ball revolver, musket, Sharps, flintlock, they're all fun. I had a repro handgon that I'd take to the range as a conversation starter. "Why are you pointing a broomstick downrange?" But it was fun too!

MIke

Yep even the modern, slick, highly reliable amd highly accurate IN-Lines have their followings.
Not to mention ease of cleaning and durable all weather stocks.
Yes, exactly. I started out muzzleloading with a TC Hawken .50 like many. I liked it well enough, but when the inlines came out, I sold the traditional & didn't look back for over 30 yrs. Within the last 2 yrs I've finally gotten 2 sidelock rifles & a percussion dbl barrel 12ga & my first ROA BP revolver.

For me it has to be the original sxs percussion or tube lock shotgun mainly because of the different bore sizes not forgetting their more reliable over other ignitions
Feltwad

Back