• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is your favorite BP substitute?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never had good luck with Pyrodex. I've heard that the shelf life is poor, so maybe that's it. I have had good luck with 777 in my C&B guns, but use only BP in the long-guns.

I would try Pyrodex. You can get it for a reasonable price and it is as close to black powder as you will get with a sub. I have shot a little bit of Pyro Select and it was just fine. Just use a good cap and you will be fine. Just make sure you clean your rifle ASAP and really good with Pyrodex as its more corrosive.

I cant find real black powder locally either so I just order from www.powderinc.com with a friend or two and it comes out to be cheaper than Pyrodex unless you find it on sale at wally or something. To me its worth it to order it online. If you dont want to do that though, you will be fine with Pyro.

Kirk

Last edited by a moderator:
Pyrodex P is BY FAR them most accurate powder I have used. I have never had problems with it going off. When I clean between shots or between every 5 shots. I will clean the barrel then I pop a couple of caps on to a clean dry patch on my jag. This tells me with proof that plenty of fire is going down the nipple and all is good. No need for me to jump through hoops to find a unicorn, I mean real black when Pyrodex P works so well in my guns. Ron

My favorite BP substitute is 50 gr of IMR 4895 in a .30-06 w/ 150 gr Nosler partition.
TC

I shoot blackpowder when possible. My favorite substitute is Pyrodex because it's cheap. I only use it for plinking. It's only good when fresh and dry though.

When I dont have Black Powder I dont shoot!!! I have seen what subs do to a barrel it is not pretty Even if cleaned as advertized the higher temps they burn at erodes the barrel steel. so at the bottom in the chamber where we cant see very easy is where they do the damage. But that and 75 cents will get you a cup of coffee :thumbsup:

My favorite sub is the meatball marinara. Other than that, I use the real stuff. Order from Powder, Inc.

jaw69 said:
When I dont have Black Powder I dont shoot!!! I have seen what subs do to a barrel it is not pretty Even if cleaned as advertized the higher temps they burn at erodes the barrel steel. so at the bottom in the chamber where we cant see very easy is where they do the damage. But that and 75 cents will get you a cup of coffee :thumbsup:

:youcrazy: Sillyness.... A) Thats MIS-Information. B) If (Just sayin IF) that was true a new barrel is only $200.00 (VS say a case of powder at $350.00)... to stay at home picking the moss from betweens ones toes VS shooting over powder choice is just ummmm :youcrazy:
Someday I may end up with that case of real BP but so far the reality is Pyrodex is half the cost IF I can get it locally and after handfulls of lead my guns are shooting just as straight if not better then the day they came out of the box AND.....as I wipe the oil befor each range session I am NOT prone to seeing "rust/corrosion" thats been eating away at my barrel, after it was cleaned, sitting in the safe.... :idunno:

HellifIknow said:
Real BP is getting difficult to obtain locally.
Stores seem to have plenty of the various subs.
Must admit I know next to nothing about the subs.
Which is your favorite?

I don't have a gun I think little enough of to shoot a sub in.
Do yourself and immense favor and order some BP. If you have several friends you can order and split it up when it arrives.
Dan

Ok you have your say and I will shoot black powder but do not cry when your high dollar barrel looses its breach plug in to your cheek on firing that sub manure. It does eat the steel after 100s of shots I have seen the damage with my own eyes!!! :cursing: So dont tell me my eyes are lieing take your breach plug out look at the barrel where the Explosion happens Then tell me Im lieing.

Look up Potassium Perchlorate a main ingredient in Pyrodex then look up perchloric acid a product of BURNING pyrocrap. The erosion happens AT burning not after.It is not rust . The steel is vaporized as in GONE. Pyrodex is harder to ignite (600º F) than blackpowder and can produce gases at a temperature of 4000º FThe acid and high Temp just blow your barrel steel out with the explosion this happens in a very small amount each shot Take the info not I dont care But for me I will always shoot Black powder

jaw69 said:
Ok you have your say and I will shoot black powder but do not cry when your high dollar barrel looses its breach plug in to your cheek on firing that sub manure. It does eat the steel after 100s of shots I have seen the damage with my own eyes!!! :cursing: So dont tell me my eyes are lieing take your breach plug out look at the barrel where the Explosion happens Then tell me Im lieing.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: ....... :bull:
I AM impressed that you pull your breech plug that often though. :wink:
I will promise to Google Cheeks blown off by firing that sub manure. :hmm:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Read the next post :idunno: And again with the lieing thing why cant you take what a man says at face value. I am not lieing I have access to a full barrel making shop and do take my breach out. What proof do you have it doent erode the barrel

scare tactics eh?

Pyrodex is a great sub to use. Ive had ZERO trouble with it over the 12 years ive been shooting it. Especially all that :bull: about it eating your barrel up.

Kentuckywindage said:
scare tactics eh?

Pyrodex is a great sub to use. Ive had ZERO trouble with it over the 12 years ive been shooting it. Especially all that :bull: about it eating your barrel up.

Yah but do you pull your breech plug after every shoot to PROVE it isnt eating the metal up? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Sorry.... I completely agree with you! :wink:

There's going to be barrel metal being lost each shot regardless. The bullet scrapes some off and the powder burns some off. However with blackpowder guns, I wouldn't think the problem is as pronounced due to the soft projectiles and relatively slow muzzle velocities.

Even cartridge firearms don't have this problem when shooting super corrosive ammunition that not only has corrosive powder, but also primer compounds with powdered glass as frictionizer.

Back