• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for tips on cleaning your shotgun at a primitive camp.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acohill1

72 cal
Reaction score
I'm headed up north next week after some snow geese and I'm taking my new pedersoli 12ga with me. Problem is I have 0 experience cleaning a BP gun at camp. I will have access to water and I'll be at my car but I'll be limited on how much fuel I have for the stove. There's a grate for the campfire I suppose I could heat water on.... what are your guys cleaning tips for multiple day hunts? What should I take with me to make the process easiest? Does using BP substitute make not cleaning okay for a few days?

Clean with plenty of water, it need not be hot or even warm. I have used a 16 gauge brush as a jag with a cotton patch over it to scrub then dry. WD 40 to displace the water then dry patch again.

Correct size brass jag , w/ a cleaning patch , and a little 0000 , 000 , or 00 steelwool on the cleaning patch dampened with whatever ya have on hand , then dry patch w/a little wd40 on it so the dry patch doesn't hang up.

Don't worry too much about it. Wipe the bore with a damp patch, or 2 or 3, and then follow with a little WD40 or Ballistol. Snap a couple of caps before reloading in the morning if it's percussion. It's not going to turn to rust over night or in a few days and you can give it a thorough cleaning when you get home. If you get too much water or oil in it you are asking for a misfire if you don't get it all out before you reload.

Store it muzzle-down after wiping it out for the day. Even cold water cleans just fine, I clean with whatever comes out of the cold-side tap, garden hose, or water bottle. Wipe dry and dampen a few patches with WD-40 as was mentioned, then wipe as dry as you can.

I strongly discourage WD for use on any part of unmentionables, but it is fantastic at doing it's primary job of creation for displacing moisture and preventing short-term corrosion from moisture.

Don't take wd40 with you. You may have a miss fire.
Just leave the gun alone except for rubbing your home made veg/ animal fat based grease you made around the breech end hammers down and run a few greased patches down the bores.
That way you won't get a miss fire next day if you on the next day rod a patch and pop a cap onto the patch so it catches the spittle.
Don't use wd40!

Same as at home ...patches in water until no more black , few dry patches , usually 3 , then I take a patch and put oil on it , push to breech and leave the rod in there ...brush the pan and area , brush dipped in water , dry with clothe same area ... Pull ramrod out , take that oil patch and rub pan and area , any metal parts you want and down length of barrel ...if frizzen feels bit " draggy " I put drop off oil on toe , work back and forth couple T mes ....done ...7-12 minutes . Periodically take off your lock and check the area out ... Easy peezy

Back