• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is the balance point of your favorite long guns?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canuck Bob

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Another thread got me thinking maybe others would be interested in this topic, all things balance oriented. My 54 caliber Deerstalker balances just ahead of the lock. It balances and handles a lot like my .444 Marlin without a scope.

What about your favorite swamped and non swamped rifles?

Your prefered balance point for hunting, offhand, and shotgun shooting?

A heavy barreled Hawkins compared to a long slim Southern Mountain style?

Preference for fowler handling compared to a rifle?

It would be appreciated as a tool to help decide on future guns and builds.

One old "rule of thumb" was to have a wing shooting gun balance about midway between the shooter's hands and an offhand target rifle balance in the left hand.
A modern rifle that balances like a shotgun would be "quick handling" and good for snap shooting -- like the Marlin you mentioned.

Gary is spot on about wingshooting guns having the meat between your hands.
For wingshooting it's more about the dynamics and where the weight is located than where it balances (you can balance a telephone pole with sandbags on the ends or closer to the center but you can't shoot it) Some target shotgunners like a little extra nose heaviness so they don't get so whippy.

When I built my Southern Mountain gun I made the balance point in front of the rear sight but behind the ramrod entrance. I like a little front heavy rifle to steady my offhand shooting. :hmm:

It seems from many posts that a little muzzle heavy is ok or prefered for offhand work. I have never been a wing shot and only used a shotgun for cottontails when I was a kid. Then I shortened my old sxs double barrel and it was quick as lightening in the brush I hunted.

I'm also realizing that how a rifle hand carries is as important to me as how it shoulders. I never abandoned my peep sight rifles for a scope because I hated how a scoped rifle hand carries. After all a hunter carries all day and shoulders for a few moments if lucky. One of the charms of flintlocks is the iron sights for me. A scoped flintlock just looks silly at best. If your rifle is scoped please don't be offended, just being honest about my opinion.

My T/C flintlock Hawken balances just behind the front sight and ahead of the lock. It's a bit far forward for convenient carrying, IMO, but makes her a little steadier for offhand shooting. graybeard

I recently saw a picture of a scoped Hawken. I tried to understand, failing vision, old habits, deadly hunting accuracy, etc.. In the end it was just sad to my eye. If I needed a scope it should go on a 30-06.

I have to admit, as much as I quietly mocked HC attitudes, I'm starting to truly appreciate some of the philosophy and fun behind it. I actually caught myself wondering how I would look in a Northwest Mounted Police uniform carrying a Baker! It passed quickly but gave me quite a scare non-the-less.

So Mtn straight 7/8" bbl .40 cal 42" long. Balance at the entry pipe. Good carry point, too.
TC

Capt Jas has the salient features of "polar moment of inertia" well outlined in his post. (Quite impressive.)

An off-hand rifle that really "settles in" is weight forward and has a relative high poi (or moi, if your prefer), shotguns have lower poi with balance more "between the hands," but different styles, and uses vary here as well. I think the Brits are more conscious of the effects, but have not approached it in a very scientific way.

graybeard said:
My T/C flintlock Hawken balances just behind the front sight and ahead of the lock. It's a bit far forward for convenient carrying, IMO, but makes her a little steadier for offhand shooting. graybeard

Just behind the front sight? I think you mean rear sight. Or do you hang a chunk of lead from the front sight. ( I do this for exercises when I cann't get out to shot).

Just behind the rear sight. but at my age, with my eyes, it doesn't make much difference, I can't see either sight. however, no scopes, nohow. graybeard

My custom made Dickert with a 42" GM straight barrel balances about 10" in front of the lock same as 'ol 40 Flint.
Good and steady. :thumbsup:

I'm a rifle shooter. Any rifle I have MUST balance just ahead of the lock. Period. Much further forward than that and it is too muzzle heavy.

Have built quite a few LRs in a few styles and all of them had the balance point w/in an inch of the entry pipe finial and have used 42",44" and 46" bbls in "A","B" and "C" weights. How do you build a LR w/ the balance point just forward of the lock? Perhaps lead weights in the butt? Not being facetious, but am wondering how I could achieve a balance point so close to the lock......Fred

I have only two flintlocks that I built. Can't say that I purposely put balance points exactly where I wanted them. But....my southern mountain rifle has a 1" ATF x 42" straight sided barrel. The balance is 6" in front of my forward hand, just ahead of the entry pipe. Its comfortable to me, I have to use the trigger spur and hold the rifle hard to my shoulder, and its fairly steady. My fowler has the balance point right at my forward hand and has an octagon to round tapered barrel. Swings good for a 41 barrel. I also have castoff in the wrist/butt and a good drop. The gun comes right up to my shoulder and I don't have to hang my head over much. Both have made meat.

I also prefer the balance close to the lock but have only one rifle's experience with muzzleloaders. With modern rifles I always use peep sights and prefer a balance point just forward of the trigger. I tried my shotgun for mock rifle shooting with a more forward balance point. It was okay but felt a little awkward. I suspect after 200 rounds it would also be second nature with a long gun.

A comment was made about a weighted stock. Within reason it would help to adjust balance for a custom fit and feel for a personalized rifle.

After checking the front row, I had my T/C Renegade with the 26" RB barrel balancing right at the wedge pin...Just behind where my left hand would be, The Lyman GPR was right between the two wedge pins which is roughly the same as the Renegade, the T/c Hawken (which is little more petite) was a tad further back) probably 4" closer to the trigger...I couldnt find much fault with any of them.

I only checked a couple:

A 33" barreled .54cal Thompson Hawken with solid brass ramrod balances with my hand around the rear sight;

My 39" .58cal Virginia balances with my whole hand wrapped behind the rear sight...a hand width in front of the lock;

Back