• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is Moosemilk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thompson center 1000 plus..you can make your own also water soluble oil and distilled water.add some murphys oil..hydro peroxide

There are many variation on a Moose Milk formula. Any or all can be an effective patch lubricant. The common features are a water soluble oil and water. The most readily available water soluble oil is Ballistol. Machine shops and automotive shops use a mix of water soluble oil and water to cool the cutting edges of tools and drill bits. We use a ratio generally of 1 part water soluble oil to 4 to 7 parts of water. The result when mixed is a milky colored solution. More water gives a slicker lubricant. Perhaps better for rifles with deep grooves.

Take a look at these threads mentioned above. Many more Moose Milk formulas than the simple one I described.

There are many variation on a Moose Milk formula. Any or all can be an effective patch lubricant. The common features are a water soluble oil and water. The most readily available water soluble oil is Ballistol. Machine shops and automotive shops use a mix of water soluble oil and water to cool the cutting edges of tools and drill bits. We use a ratio generally of 1 part water soluble oil to 4 to 7 parts of water. The result when mixed is a milky colored solution. More water gives a slicker lubricant. Perhaps better for rifles with deep grooves.

Take a look at these threads mentioned above. Many more Moose Milk formulas than the simple one I described.
i never use it as a patch lube..just to whip out after a few shots and after i clean with soapy water before i add t/c,s bore butter.I stay with t/c white bottle no 13

Here is one (of many) recipes and is the one I use -

Napa water soluble cutting oil (if your local napa store doesn't have it in stock the part number is 765-1526 for 1 pint)
Murphy's oil soap
1 liter water bottle
water
rubbing alcohol (optional)

Fill water bottle half full with WARM water. Add 2 oz. each of the water soluble oil and the murphy's oil soap. Shake well and watch it turn white. This means it is mixed. Once mixed it won't unmix. Fill bottle up with water.

This quantity will seemingly last forever !!!

Here you go! The real stuff!
moose-milk.jpg

Ballistol and water. Ballistol emulsifies in the water. Water cuts the carbon fouling and Ballistol helps neutralize corrosive properties of the fouling. If enough Ballistol is mixed with water as the water evaporates it leaves a film protecting the metal from rust .Seems to make cleaning easier the next time around as well. I use it as my patch lube. Wet patches(not dripping wet) and I can shoot forever, it seems without a good scrubbing. I use it as a cutting oil as well when drilling steel and iron. So far using it as a cologne to attract young chickies has been its only failure😁.

From an old e-mail:

Stumpy's Moose Juice

A general purpose black powder solvent and liquid patch lube. Shake well before using

Castor Oil 3 oz.
Murphy's Oil Soap 1 oz.
Witch Hazel 4 oz.
Isopropyl Alcohol (91%) 8 oz.
Water (non-chlorinated) 16 oz.

I dip my patching in this twice and let it dry laid flat on wax paper in between. Makes a semi-dry patch material that's easy to carry & use. If you don't mind carrying a little bottle it's a GREAT liquid lube as is.

From an old e-mail:

Stumpy's Moose Juice

A general purpose black powder solvent and liquid patch lube. Shake well before using

Castor Oil 3 oz.
Murphy's Oil Soap 1 oz.
Witch Hazel 4 oz.
Isopropyl Alcohol (91%) 8 oz.
Water (non-chlorinated) 16 oz.

I dip my patching in this twice and let it dry laid flat on wax paper in between. Makes a semi-dry patch material that's easy to carry & use. If you don't mind carrying a little bottle it's a GREAT liquid lube as is.
The stumpy mix, moose milk, moose juice, formulas are in the how to stiickies.

A couple posts I saved. May have come from this board, may not. I did not make a notation. Somewhere on one of my backup drives I have about 50 cleaning recipes and probably the same on patch lubes, all lifted one at a time from various sources. If I can find it, I will post it.

Attachments

• Stumpy's Moose Juice and Moose Snot.txt
    7.6 KB · Views: 185
Back