• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What "fun" targets are your fav's

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If im at the range for any extended amount of time, I almost always have an empty dip can to shoot at! Hang it from a string, or duct tape it to the target if it's windy.

20211214_135440.jpg

I apologize ahead of time as I don't have a schematic on this idea but its pretty basic.. This target setup is a combination between whack a mole and shooting an image of Osama bin Laden..
This is a shoot for a minimum of 2 shooters....
Construct a 2 pulley system that can be controlled from the firing line.. (Requires 50 yards of rope or non elastic cord) .. you set pulleys up on a board with a lollypop target with a wooden rod and configure so when you pull the cord, the second pulley lifts the rod up. When you releasee the rope, the rod and target go down .. Simple.
You protect the pulleys and lollypop behind some sandbags and when you pull the cord the only thing that is presented to the shooter is a cardboard disc with an image of Bin Laden on it (or fill in whatever nefarious rascal you want)... That rises above the sandbags like he's takin a look.
Now comes the challenge.. Shooter takes the line with a loaded and primed rifle. The man on the rope has 5 playing cards .. A 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7.. He shuffles them and lays em out so the shooter does not know in what order they are. Each number represents the number of seconds that Bin Laden is peeking over the bags.. Then he takes cover as rope guy releases pressure.
Now shooter doesn't know how long he really has to aim and shoot. If he takes to long and Bin Laden takes a duck, he looses a shot in penalty. Score a hit if you hit the varmint and a miss if you miss. Depending on who or what you are shooting at this has lots of potential for some good fun.. Similar target was seen earlier with a turkey and it gave me this idea.
Also,, any number of variations can spin off of this.
A variation on this would be to procure some corrugated plastic board ( 2 x 5 foot) and cut out a torso and head silhouette on the upper 4 feet of the piece .. Bend the lower 1 foot portion and crease it so when you stake the lower portion to the ground (stake it well), the top torso part can be brought into a upright position, bending at the crease you just made.
Cut a hole about navel hight on the torso about a half inch in diameter. Attach a short piece of quarter inch dowel to the end of a 55 yard piece of cord and insert in the hole from the front. Now when you pull the cord from the firing line, the torso and head silhouette will rise up and present a target. You will need to drive a tall stake at the base to stop the corrugated material from coming to far forward and its natural tendency will be to go back down flat again when you slacken the cord.

does the obnoxious neighbor's porch light count?
You need to move, this time of year I can see my nearest neighbors' lights cause all the leaves are down and snow helps the reflection at 1200 feet or so.

My chicken coops outside string of led white lights is not seen by them. They do see when we launch a parachute flare but we need to call all the neighbors around us so they can look up. That is curtesy in the are we live if we are to use pyrotechnics. [Why waste the fireworks}

Wrap a half cup of the holy black in foil and ram it into the swivel gun. Poke it through the fuse hole with an ice pick. Stick the fuse in. Mid nite New years Eve. Most neighbors still don't know what that boom is. On the other hand, some are too drunk to care.

Empty plastic gallon jugs filled with water and capped. Add a few drops of food coloring if you wish. They explode so nicely... and they approximate the size of a whitetail deer's kill zone, OK, maybe a bit smaller, but if you can hit a gallon jug, you can kill a deer.

Half-gallon milk cartons work well too, but they don't stay in once piece if you fill them with water, so you have more of a mess with them.

The price of these targets is great: FREE!
I use these in competition shoots. The deal is that you can shoot the carton any time you like during the shoot and no extra rounds are allocated for it. BUT, if the carton is still intact at the end you loose twenty points off your target score. I usually make sure I'm on target first, got my eye in, then shift to the carton.

I use these in competition shoots. The deal is that you can shoot the carton any time you like during the shoot and no extra rounds are allocated for it. BUT, if the carton is still intact at the end you loose twenty points off your target score. I usually make sure I'm on target first, got my eye in, then shift to the carton.
Sounds like an interesting idea...

If you’re referring too the British Soldier target. The NMLRA sells those..👍
Not that I can find. Tried several times. They are up on the primitive range and they will not give them up. Or have you got a better lead and connection? Would love to find some....

JDW,

I was not aware they were kept on the primitive range….

I was under the impression that the targets were stored at the main range office..

However, I don’t recall seeing one shot on the modern side shooting line….

Mine is metal…👍

CEB577C0-0BDA-48E7-8AF1-8C0714A0E123.jpeg

The one target that I liked a lot were car tires with a card board insert rolled down a ramp about 35 yards distance. You will be surprised at how well you will do once you find the lead. I loaded my M.L. so the ball was traveling the speed of a .22 long rifle round. This saved me a lot of time getting the lead right due to me using a .22 rifles for shows.

I've posted this before, but a fun target I've seen was a painted plywood cutout of a plus-size frontier woman holding a steel "frying pan". Not exactly PC nowadays....

Any target becomes more interesting when you start with an empty gun and have to make a hit before a marble drops out of a marble roller.

How about a target that rings like a bell, reacts well and captures your lead so you can re-melt it and cast more bullets?
This system will capture almost 100% of your lead depending on the tire width.
Mounts on a standard T Post

44upwik.jpg
qXOnRUE.jpg

Back