• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What do I have here?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gtrubicon

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello, the first time I held an 1851 revolver was last week when I came across this one. I didn’t notice till I was taking it apart to clean that there was no engraving on the cylinder. I did find info on how to date it, if I’m correct it was made in 1968. I’d love to hear from you all on what kind of replica it is? Who manufactured it etc. Thanks.
34B79433-24F9-4EF8-B369-8ACA07631B50.jpeg
93DB4230-D5C4-4E8E-A4CA-A2DF14FD82B1.jpeg
BB3A47BA-BD81-42BE-A8AF-9A20D9EB9738.jpeg
DCC326B2-E31F-48CC-81AC-06DAED5F833A.jpeg
8BCD8F34-F81C-4C74-B71E-821D8CF6B8C2.jpeg

What you have already determined, @Gtrubicon, is an Italian replica made in 1968 (XXIV). You have the Gardone proof stamp. The EIG is a stamp of a group of Italian manufacturers that were exporting the copies to support the growing American Civil War reenacting. Your model is a copy of the brass framed replicas built in the Confederate states which were more or less copies of the Colt 1851 Navy revolver. There is no need for the cylinder to have roll engraving. The NAVY stamp is an indication of the caliber which should be 36 caliber. NO matter what measure the diameter of the cylinder mouth to determine the proper ball size which should be 0.005" to 0.010" larger than the diameter of cylinder mouth. I am guessing that the stamps on the grip indicate that the manufacturer was Armi San Paolo or Euroarms.

There were two CSA makers of revolvers using then open top brass frames. One was Griswold and Gunnison. I forget the other CSA manufacturer.

Grenadier 1758 is likely correcto. Two or three makers in the South copied the
Colt 1851 design--although they often had round barrels. The living expert
on this, to my knowledge is Mike Bellevue (duelist 1954 on Youtube). I have
a similar one imported by Navy Arms with brass frame. Very nice revolvers.
They shoot great, and use less powder. BUT it would be worth it to have a good
Smith experienced with revolvers tune it up--like goons. These are keepers.
Unless you overload the chambers repeatedly the brass holds fine. 15 to 18 grs
will be accurate and plenty for the 36 ball. They are beautiful hand tools.

That is an Italian made copy of a confederate .36 Schneider and Glassick. The Schneider and Glassick is recognized by the brass frame with smooth cylinder and octagonal barrel. The pistol was imported by EIG (Saul Eig) and was manufactured for EIG by Luciano Giacosa (GLB). The other confederate navy pistol copy maker that Grenadier 1758 is referring too is the Griswold and Gunnison .36 copy. That is recognized by the brass frame and smooth cylinder but has a round barrel instead of octagonal.

Last edited:
I disassembled the entire gun, hammer and hand are very worn, it had 2 flat springs installed on top of each other. Will Pietta parts fit this gun?

Back