• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What should I load?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colbymason1

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello all, I am new to the muzzle loading world. I am wondering how much powder I should load for these following guns:

1- 31 cal. unidentified cap and ball revolver
2- 40 cal derringer
3- 44 cal 3rd dragoon replica by Armi San Marco

I will be using 3F pyrodex

I have all of the accessories for them (balls, wads/patches, powder, caps, etc.)
I bought them second hand and have no booklets with them. Most of the googling I have tried says to use the manufacturer recommended. I planned on trying half of the caliber and seeing how that goes.

Anything helps, Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_9780 1.jpg
    IMG_9780 1.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9886.jpg
    IMG_9886.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Resized_20231015_001813.jpg
    Resized_20231015_001813.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 0
... I planned on trying half of the caliber and seeing how that goes.
That's a great ballpark starting point, and you'll probably end up bumping that up, but best to be conservative for starters. I do think 40 is a little heavy as an experimental starter load for a Dragoon; I've got 35 as my "standard load" for mine. Let us know how it goes.

I too recommend black powder but if pyrodex is all that is easily available it will work. You just need to be more diligent with cleaning and check your firearms regularly when storing for any sign of rust.

Make sure the balls you use are a snug fit when you load in a revolver and usually they shave a thin ring of lead. Use soft lead to seal better and avoid undue stress on the loading lever.

The derringer will usually require an under bore size ball and a patch around the ball.

The revolvers will be fine with as much real bp as the cylinders will hold and still allow you to seat the ball. The derringer is a fun gun, useful for almost nothing. I believe about 10 grains will be enuf for it to go "bang" and make ye grin.

Latest posts

Back