• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Missing Sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Resolve

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Good (late) evening,

About 9 months ago a friend asked me to take a look at a revolver that was given to him as a gift early in the 70s. He’s not a BP guy so he had never shot it but now thought he might like to try it. It is an 1851 36 cal repro. It has a brass frame, no engraving on the cylinder, and an octagon barrel. The Gardone proof testing mark, the PN black powder proofing mark, and the date code XXV (1969) are on the right side of the frame below the water table. It has the model “36 CAL. NAVY MODEL made in Italy” on the right side of the barrel. It has the importer “HAWES FIREARM CO. LOS ANGELES CALIF” on the left side of the barrel. It has the DGG logo (not circled) on the bottom of the barrel. Maybe an early Armi San Paolo? He had never shot it. He did, however, dry fire it numerous times and all the nipples were mushroomed. I changed out the nipples and cleaned and lubed it. It shot great. However, it’s missing the front sight. Looks like it is threaded and not a press fit. I’ll take the barrel to the hardware store and see what the thread is. Anyone know if the sight would be compatible to any other brand? I’d like to replace it. I’d attach pictures but haven’t figured out how to do that yet.

As usual, thanks in advance for any info.

Stay safe and have fun,

R

The threads will be metric. I have no idea what it will be or what might interchange but if you can identify it you can thread a piece of brass rod and cut it to length after you have screwed it in. Another solution would be to find something that is a snug fit and solder it in then trim it as you sight it in. Good luck finding a screw that small in a hardware store.

I'd either leave the front sight off and make it a "gunfighter pistol " or cut it into an Avenging Angel

Trying to fit a sight to an old butter soft brasser , in my opinion is just a waste of time.

I had a ASM 51 Navy years ago that came with a threaded front sight. IIRC, there were only a couple of threads holding the sight in.

I had to replace the front sight on my old ASM .36 Navy. It was just pressed into the barrel if I recall correctly. I got a small brass screw and I think a dab of epoxy and pressed that in. It was very snug to start with. I left the sight tall, and filed it to where I wanted it to hit. Works fine, very accurate and no problems. It’s been in the barrel for forty plus years. :thumb::cool:

Back