• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What did I do to get kicked off?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldramrod

40 Cal
Reaction score
I have been trying for two weeks to get on the forum. The forum will not accapt my password for my old account ohio ramrod, and it took me two weeks to get a new account as oldramrod. I would like to know what I,did other than buy a new computer.

Why did my laptop work in my basement workshop and then not turn on again when I went upstairs? Why did my TV's cable connection work last night when I turned it off and wouldn't come on again this morning until I rebooted the system? These are the vagaries of the computer age and it doesn't seem that a lot of people who work in the field know how to fix this problem so it doesn't continue to occur. My hackles would raise up every time some computer tech at school would ask, "Did you shut it down and reboot it?" whenever there was an issue with my computer.

We should all thank our lucky stars that there's a competent individual who is running this show. I don't think any of us will ever truly understand how fortunate we are in that respect.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Snapper.........What you wrote , happens at my house once a week. Fortunately , I have poor cell svc. at home. This enables me to not own an expensive phone controlled foreign folks , enabling me to stupidly, take photo's of my food , etc , and send it to other folks. I was employed 41 yrs., in corporate level emergency service of very complicated medical imaging equipment. Excepting for my own medical needs , I never want to think about , or ever have contact with , another high tech electronic device again. Ever. Best wishes to ya , and keep shootin :thumb: ..................oldwood

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an antenna atop the silo connected to a radio that relays to a wireless waypoint attached to the side of the barn that relays to a WiFi repeater inside the house that connects to anything wireless in the house and also provides a wired connection for my antique computers. I don't run Windows, only various flavors of Linux and an Android tablet (Kindle Fire). Toni runs Windows 10 I think and an Apple tablet.

Problems occur on a weekly basis, mostly due to a lousy connection, but also because software engineers just LOVE to change things, even when they don't have to. Hence, my latest problem getting Mutt to work with Gmail again. Apparently there is some security mod that Google implemented which will require me to modify my .muttrc file.

To further confuse things, I also run a VPN through Proton in Switzerland and have been known to use GPG encryption with email. Also somewhat familiar with Tripwire and a few other security applications. I often get concerned emails from Netflix because they think someone in Virginia is using my account... in other words, because of the VPN, they think I am sharing my account with somebody else and therefore stealing money from their pockets somehow.

In the mid 1990's I realized that I had better get on board with modern computers, so I bought a used model running Windows '95. If I hadn't done that, I would have been pretty much unemployable. I bought and read lots of books until they were dog-eared and I knew everything in them. I learned how to repair computers, how to reformat drives and that there was more than one choice of operating systems. Over the years I adapted and upgraded as necessary.

When there is a problem in my house, I am Tech Support Incarnate.

I tell you though, the technology is moving so fast that it is pretty much impossible to actually keep up with it. You do the best you can and know that you are on a virtual vehicle traveling at warp 10 with no brakes that is accelerating into transwarp speeds and possibly using wormholes. When I read about things like computers that will use quantum entanglement in their hardware, I get a bit frightened because at 66, I'm finding that much of my knowledge is rapidly becoming as obsolete as flintlock rifles on the battlefield. I have little hope of catching up once I have been eclipsed by younger men & women.

When I address Alexa, I always try to remember to be polite and to thank "her" properly after she provides what I ask for, because I know that one day, if I live long enough, I will be working for her.

I have antennas for my HF and VHF radios sticking way up in the air and I never have problems with any of them unless the sun is acting up. I have frequent problems with spectrum cable which is mostly underground and spectrum is a whole lot less efficient than the sun.

Back