• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What can be written on the barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsblack

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi All,
maybe I have a stupid question but I would like to have on barrel a motto.I do not want to have there my name but I think "To defend my family"or?
I would like to have there what is correct from history.An idea?
Sorry for bad english
R.S.Black

rsblack:
Whatever you feel needs saying, but not overly long would be fine.

Before doing this though I think you should talk to someone who does engraving for a living.
Some gun shops can do this but a Jeweler who works on watches and special metal awards would be more likely to know what you want. They would also be able to give you a price for their service.

In my opinion the last thing that I would want is to have something that looks like a kid with a stick scratched a saying on my guns barrel.
A "vibrating electric marker" comes to mind when I think of markings that look poor on a gun (unless they are some identification name or number that is hidden under the metal part when the part is installed).

Well, you can put whatever you like on it, but historically, pretty much all you will see is a name and location of the maker.

...though on rare occasion you will see this engraved on the end of the muzzle around the bore (in various languages) "Lucky is he who escapes me". I think I have only seen it in French, on a Belgian pistol.

This is what I did on one of mine.

Teton1.jpg

It says “Teton River” It was where the gun was made.

Tinker2

Tinker; that is beautiful! You're definitely talented.

Considering the times we live in maybe "Liberty or Death" maybe an appropiate motto.

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

dogman

“that is some very nice penmanship”
TinStar

“that is beautiful! You're definitely talented”

Well, I would love to agree about my penmanship and talent but...

I have a old “New Hermes” Gravograph Engraving Machine, like the jewelry stores and trophy shops do. The only talent that it takes is knowing how to spell. You got to get it “write” the first time.
You can’t make any miss-snakes.

I don’t do it any more. So a man named....
Matt1.jpg

Has it now.

Don’t do it to deep, you or the next owner may not like it.

God luck.
Tinker2

Latest posts

Back